It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOC The gift that just keeps giving . Busted staging viral photo op.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

OK, all fine and dandy, but not something that qualifies someone for asylum in the United States.
www.law.cornell.edu...

The term “refugee” means (A) any person who is outside any country of such person’s nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, is outside any country in which such person last habitually resided, and who is unable or unwilling to return to, and is unable or unwilling to avail himself or herself of the protection of, that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion, or (B) in such special circumstances as the President after appropriate consultation (as defined in section 1157(e) of this title) may specify, any person who is within the country of such person’s nationality or, in the case of a person having no nationality, within the country in which such person is habitually residing, and who is persecuted or who has a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. The term “refugee” does not include any person who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion. For purposes of determinations under this chapter, a person who has been forced to abort a pregnancy or to undergo involuntary sterilization, or who has been persecuted for failure or refusal to undergo such a procedure or for other resistance to a coercive population control program, shall be deemed to have been persecuted on account of political opinion, and a person who has a well founded fear that he or she will be forced to undergo such a procedure or subject to persecution for such failure, refusal, or resistance shall be deemed to have a well founded fear of persecution on account of political opinion.

The struggles they're facing in their countries of origin are a result of criminal activities in their regions, NOT focused on race, religion, nationality, social group status, or political opinion. The only other way they can be granted asylum without meeting these specific criteria is at the enjoyment of the standing President of the United States... which the standing POTUS, President Trump, has exercised his judgement not to expand on. That's it, short of someone having a rare, in the case of these illegal aliens, special circumstance above and beyond that of the general throng of illegals they're trying to cross with, there is no reason to permit any of them in while their cases are reviewed because it's clear their cases will not meet the requirement threshold for asylum.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Plus the vast majority of Illegal Aliens who cross into the US don't even try to claim asylum till they are caught. It's like they are here for 3 months, where they dont lift a finger to get their asylum claims going, but as soon as they are caught it's ”I wish to claim asylum".

Do people on the left actually thing the majority of people illegally entering our country are really asylum seekers and not economic migrants with no claims to actual asylum status?

Sorry if their Country is a Sh#$hole (guess Trump was accurate and correct again), that's not a valid reason for asylum.
edit on 28-6-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That post was in response to a poster asking why asylum seekers from Central America can't stay in Mexico. Mexico isn't considered "safe" for some asylum seekers whose persecutors also dwell in Mexico.

However, my father's family were accepted into the US as refugees, from Columbia due to cartel violence. So sometimes, when a country's government is unable to control the behavior of criminals to the point where they can't protect their citizen, those people are eligible for asylum.

All I'm saying is that everyone who reaches the US and claims asylum has a right to have their case heard, not that everyone who claims asylum is eligible.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Who was the president hen your father was granted asylum?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

No one is disagreeing with you. What we want is to make sure illegals, of which lawful asylum seekers who succeed in their case are not, do not get into the country and are deported with all due haste if they do.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Your family had a special circumstance, sort of like when someone is put in witness protection because they are going to testify against the mafia if you're talking about publishing material damaging to and critical of the cartels. That may have been why they got in, but your grandparents didn't sneak across the border and live here in the US illegally for a period of days and then only claim asylum upon getting caught, did they? That's what most of these people do. They have no intention of claiming asylum to begin with. They know it's a loophole that lets them get set free so they can disappear again.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   
She's not trying to stage or hide anything. Fake news. She posted videos of this protest on her Twitter page. She was there with a group to protest in front of the guards of the facility. Videos show what was behind the fence, and the open gate. But BROWN WOMAN BAD!
edit on 28-6-2019 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

97% of those who crossed the border will not meet criteria for asylum.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: LordAhriman

She looks more white to me, my wife is way more brown than she is. She demanded a no vote on aid to the asylum seekers, she is bad because she is bad.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

She looks more white to me, my wife is way more brown than she is. She demanded a no vote on aid to the asylum seekers, she is bad because she is bad.

She's Puerto Rican. That's common knowledge. She's being called taco barbie on another thread here right now.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

She's Puerto Rican. That's common knowledge. She's being called taco barbie on another thread here right now.

What does that have to do with she is more white than brown. My wife is quite a bit darker than her. But hey my opinion must be due to her color.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's all in the Amicus Brief that I cited earlier. www.documentcloud.org...

The Refugee Act, ratified in 1967.

No Contracting State shall expel or return ("refouler") a refugee in any manner whatsoever to the frontiers of territories where his life or freedom would be threatened on account of his race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion.

scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...

The 1951 Refugee Convention is the key legal document that forms the basis of our work. Ratified​ by 145 State parties, it defines the term ‘refugee’ and outlines the rights of the displaced, as well as the legal obligations of States to protect them.

The core principle is non-refoulement, which asserts that a refugee should not be returned to a country where they face serious threats to their life or freedom. This is now considered a rule of customary international law.
www.unhcr.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

but your grandparents didn't sneak across the border and live here in the US illegally for a period of days and then only claim asylum upon getting caught, did they?

They had refugee status. IF they had snuck in they would have had asylum status.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I read it, what part are you claiming matters? You do realize 'refugee' and 'immigrant' are two separate terms right?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   

She's not trying to stage or hide anything. Fake news. She posted videos of this protest on her Twitter page. She was there with a group to protest in front of the guards of the facility. Videos show what was behind the fence, and the open gate. But BROWN WOMAN BAD!

Please don't start saying that, it's so low brow, whenever I see someone type orange man bad it really appears like they have a brain injury.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

What does that have to do with she is more white than brown. My wife is quite a bit darker than her. But hey my opinion must be due to her color.

In mid summer I'm darker than her as well. Doesn't change the fact that she's Hispanic. Hispanics are considered brown.

Now, what about the fact that this OP is a lie?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I know, and so do they. But since we can't detain them, they get released with a court date they never show up for if they claim asylum.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

She's brown? Looks like any number of dumb white girls I grew up with. Talks like em too.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I don't know, some old white guy? It was in the 1960s.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   

No, they would not have.

In order to claim asylum, you have to declare at a port of entry. Sneaking in does not qualify.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join