It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people for reservations but not reparations???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The federalAnd state governments..

I would personally give anyone with African who can trace their ancestry in America to before 1900ish..

Because none recieved any benefit from their forefathers labor..

A tax break on their first 100k in income.

That is a 25% to 30% raise for every person it applies to .. especially the poor.

No private citizen has to pay for the sins of their fathers..

African Americans only make up 13% of the population and most are poor, . so probably wouldn’t break the bank..

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: JustJohnny

How would we figure out who pays reparations?

For many of us, our ancestors immigrated after that time period, so why should we have to pay reparations to someone who wasn't a slave?

A tax on private prison companies. The only group in America still farming out actual slave labor.

I'd just assume get rid of private prisons.

No one should be profiting from incarceration, and we need to stop improlisoning people for pot and petty offenses.

You shouldn't go to jail for not paying child support, that doesn't help anyone and only creates more tax burden.

But I'm not for being taxed for reperations. I didn't commit that inhumanity, and no one alive suffered from it.

It doesn't right a wrong, it just creates another one. As many have pointed out, many ethnic groups have been disenfranchised. That doesn't mean I should pay to "make it right". I didn't do it.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

It is fair to say the native Americans got a worse deal, but not by much AT ALL...

Plus you have the last century where NA’s have been totally glorified.

NA’s have faced none of the discrimination that AA’s have faced in that century..

Hell, look at all the people who DNA is proving donot have NA ancestors.. why do you think that is???

It is because it became cool to have Indian ancestry.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Reservations, college programs, tax breaks, exc there is a laundry list of special privileges the US government gives native Americans.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Most slaves did survive..

The value of the slaves was more than every other commodity in the US besides the land and natural resources, combined..

Every ear of corn, cow, house , gun , cannon, wagon exc..

The worst was the aftermath of abolition, where the financial benefit to not abusing them was removed and replaced by blaming them for the civil war..

Honestly in a sick way that is how the north and south reconciled and birthed the KKK resurgence of the early 1900s..

To your genocide point agreed.. but for the last century they have been overly glorified, while the discrimination of African Americans has really only started to ease up the last 40 years..

AND ZERO EFFORT HAS EVERY BEEN MADE...

All they ever got was “ok we will stop.. but we ain’t giving you snot..”

So why do the Indians deserve something while AA’s deserve nothing??

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have Japanese friends who lost their rich valley island farm land and never got it back. Its worth millions now. San Joaquin valley

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I want to elaborate.

The left is asking for too much, and they don't have a leg to stand on when the cuck to the right's wishes of war.

I'm not against things that can benefit the masses. This isn't to be confused with social programs or increased spending. We need to fix our debt situation.

But demanding publicly funded schools don't get frivolous campuses and offer affordable tution or they go private. That's one example of making how we spend more efficient while benefiting the mass.

Initiatives like repetitions just turn off the right and more importantly th independents to the agenda of social initiatives.

No more increased spending or taxes. We have to figure out our budget. We can still achieve more with the same amount of money, but we'll have to compromise.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

You mentioned that Native Americans aren’t discriminated against like the African Americans are; so you are admitting this has nothing to do with slavery; it’s really about discrimination is what you wrote.

The Native Americans were forced off THEIR land. The African Americans came to America after their own people in Africa sold them.

Lets face it; in Our past history, people have been vicious and selfish; but I don’t believe we should be paying people who have NEVER been a slave, for their ancestors being slaves. It is ridiculous, and I’ve seen every type of human discriminated against for one reason or another.

edit on 27-6-2019 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

The Native Americans were forced off THEIR land. The African Americans came to America after their own people in Africa sold them.

Both are a moot subject IMO.

The "genocide", not to downplay, was primarily through disease. While some blankets were allegedly involved... It was mostly an invisible and an unknown killer.

We're all products of immigration, not by our choice. We're born where we're born.

I don't want to go back to Wales or Italy. For those that are unhappy here, I'm sorry. But how do we balance outrage that people can't get in while bitching about being born here.

One or the other people, it's really that easy.

Are things "fair"? Nope, but I don't have a silver spoon either, so forgive me for not feeling sorry for people who don't have it either.

edit on 27-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: Plotus

Reservations, college programs, tax breaks, exc there is a laundry list of special privileges the US government gives native Americans.

Three things.

Exc is still not an abbreviation for etcetera.

Special privileges are not things offered as payment for land or as part of a treaty.

You need to educate yourself on how Native Americans gained their rights and how many broken promises led to it.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 01:37 AM
link   

No offense, Johnny... but you LITERALLY don't know what you are talking about, and on multiple points.

American Indians were net property holders, and had contracts with the Federal Government, going back centuries. Most Indian Nations, were called Indian Nations because they WERE considered separate sovereigns to the Federal Government.

The slave economy was promulgated by private citizens.

The fact of the matter is, the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs was actually managing an asset portfolio for American Indian tribes, and mismanaged it for over a hundred years) owes Indians billions of dollars, for mismanaging a trust fund that was under their control.

Lastly, how do you put a dollar figure on the genocide of dozens of unique cultures?

There is certainly no defense for human slavery... but trying to conflate the two issues is mixing apples and oranges.

Native Americans had contracts with the U.S. Federal Government... (which the U.S. broke, mostly... but that's another topic.) African slaves came to America through the evil of their fellows, and slave traders, selling humans to private citizens.

Is there civil liability to slave descendents, from families whose ancestors owned the slave descendents ancestors?

I think that's a fair question for civil law. It would be interesting to see it play out through the legal system.

The only really place it would have actual merit, is if there was continued and present existing and considerable assets that could be attached in a civil suit.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 01:47 AM
link   

a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Most slaves did survive..

...and most Indians did NOT. Why are you butthurt because First Nation peoples are "over-glorified"? It's not the Indians over glorifying themselves. It's stupid white people.

Generally, most Indians just want their history known and told, and to live their lives with their families, and for some, to preserve their language and culture.

Why do you care?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Lastly... there have probably been more lynchings of Indians, and more recently, than there are lynchings of blacks... presuming we don't count black on black killings.

Indians have been discriminated against at least as much as blacks. However, as a people they were very nearly extinguished from the face of the earth.

Fact is... you know very very little about the history of Native Americans in America, and their post-European Settler history, and what was done to them and is still done to them.

FWIW, I am not Indian... but I spent years studying native history and culture, and you have massive gaps in your understanding. I think you have believed way too much of what you have seen in TV and movies, Johnny.
edit on 28-6-2019 by dasman888 because: edit

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Native American here. Not getting any reparations whatsoever, and I’m actually enrolled.

Where’s muh moneh?

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: ketsuko

I have Japanese friends who lost their rich valley island farm land and never got it back. Its worth millions now. San Joaquin valley

I just know the government did something and it gets cited as an example for why African Americans deserve reparations. Given that we're talking US government, that doesn't mean it's worth a whole lot.

posted on Jun, 28 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Heres something for you all to think about.

A price tag of 17.1 Trillion US dollars has been put on reparations. If this is the case, you can kiss this country goodbye. We can barely afford the debt we have now. The dollar will fall apart. If an enemy nation wants to attack, then will be their chance. In other words. This may cost you everything you own, and then some. I am up to 14% African.

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Countless kept the money stolen by their ancestors..

If a nazi’s kid has some Jews belongings stolen during the war, the Jews decedents are entitled to those belongings..

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Woodcarver

Countless kept the money stolen by their ancestors..

If a nazi’s kid has some Jews belongings stolen during the war, the Jews decedents are entitled to those belongings..
Yes, those belongings would be subject to return, but not that man’s children’s wages, which is what reparations would be.
edit on 29-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Why are the people who are demanding reparations, not looking to The African nations for that money? They are the one’s who sold them in the first place. Does Africa have any responsibility in this argument?

posted on Jun, 29 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

How can a price be put on something that doesn’t even have a precise definition???

The here isn’t even a proposal for reparations, so there cannot be a price tag...

Obviously..

Are you saying “well if we take the craziest proposal anyone made, it would cost 1.7 trillion...”

Lol?!?!

How little thought do you have to put in to something to buy that lol?!?!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join