It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people for reservations but not reparations???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
So why is it that people are ok with the US government paying out for its misdeeds to everyone but African Americans???

No one is boycotting Indian reservations..

In fact because of the whole congress talking about reparations thing. I have literally watched every conservative pundit probably bring up Native Americans, I guess assuming people are too stupid to realize we did , and still do pay reparations to native Americans..

Sure very few would say it is enough, but good luck finding something that is enough to make up for 300 years of slavery and 100+ of economic restrictions.. there probably isn’t that much money...

It is just soooooo obviously focused on this one community..

I wonder if it isn’t the remnants of the admittedly valid fear of a violent slave uprising. If your enslaving a group, which always includes consistent rapes and beatings, they you are pretty sure they would kill everyone if you gave them the chance..

For all of human history that has TERRIFIED slavers.any society that let the slave population reach close too 50% of theirs was pretty much built root and stem to prevent it.

It is easy to watch the seamless transition between the two of you read old newspaper headlines..

“Violent slave revolts” became “violent black revolts”, when in reality there has been remarkably few cases of African Americans committing mod violence on white Americans..

There were only 2 minor revolts and a handful for civil rights riots..

In 350 years...

It is pretty disgusting...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

How would we figure out who pays reparations?

For many of us, our ancestors immigrated after that time period, so why should we have to pay reparations to someone who wasn't a slave?

link   

I'm not ok with either..

link   

It is because the Native Americans were damn near decimated, and it was their land.

There are plenty of African Americans in this country, and if you believe in reincarnation, then how do you know who might have actually been a slave?

There were plenty of Irish slaves as well, what about sex trafficking victims?

edit on 27-6-2019 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I get that what we did to African Americans was terrible and most slaves didn't survive. But what we did to native American's was worse.

We committed mass genocide against these people. We had standing orders to murder all women and children along with the men. There were prices put on Indian scalps.

We didn't even enslave these people we just straight up murdered them.
edit on 27-6-2019 by PraetorianAZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I don’t want either one.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
I get that what we did to African Americans was terrible and most slaves didn't survive. But what we did to native American's was worse.

We committed mass genocide against these people. We had standing orders to murder all women and children along with the men. There were prices put on Indian scalps.

What did you do to African Americans?

What did you do to Native Americans?

edit on 27-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Statue of limitations. No one alive in the US now was a legal slave or slave owner. Also

Corruption of Blood

CORRUPTION OF BLOOD,, English crim. law. The incapacity to inherit, or pass an inheritance, in consequence of an attainder to which the party has been subject
2. When this consequence flows from an attainder, the party is stripped of all honors and dignities he possessed, and becomes ignoble.
3. The Constitution of the United States, Amendm. art. 5, provides, that no person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval, forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger" and by art. 3, s. 3, n. 2, it is declared that "no attainder of treason shall work. corruption of blood, or forfeiture, except during the life of the person attainted."
4. The Constitution of Pennsylvania, art. 9, s. 19, directs that "no attainder shall work corruption of blood." 3 Cruise, 240, 378 to 381, 473 1 Cruise, 52 1 Chit. Cr. Law, 740; 4 Bl. Com. 388.

Children can't be held responsible for the crimes of the parents. It's a civil rights violation.

edit on 27-6-2019 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Should a person who just immigrated from India to the United states, pays less, or the same amount of reparations as a white guy who can trace his lineage back to slave owners?

Do black people who are ancestors of slave owners pay more or less than the white guy who’s ancestors owned slaves? Or are they just even now?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Ummm...We...?

I dindo nuffin…

Perhaps...there was a time...long...long ago...where sum dat chit went down...but that had nothing to do with anyone alive today...

So who gives a rats ass if something happened to someone somewhere back there in the way backs...

Why should these social rejects be allowed to have their hand out for anything...and why should people who had absolutely nothing to do with slavery...be expected to fund a free ride through life to some lowlifes with their hand out for that free ride...?

Makes no damned sense...

So nope...you'll get nothing...and like it...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
My family arrived in the US in 1910 ( legally)

How much do I owe them and why?

How about you lead by example.

If you believe you owe a debt to someone, then get your wallet out and begin paying them. Otherwise, you are just hot air on a soap box.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Blacks also owned slaves. It is estimated they owned around 5,000 at one point. One could say yeah, but that was due to circumstances. I disagree. So was every person born into a family that owned slaves. They had a choice not to own slaves just like the black slave owners.

So do the descendants of those black slave owners also get something. I don't think so. It would be impossible to figure out but is another wrench in the conversation. It's a wrench because the narrative has always been all blacks were victims which is not true.

What really needs to happen IMO is people must stop calling other people by a crayon color and start changing names of crayon color organizations. The United Negro College fund for example is no longer just for blacks. They take in all disadvantaged but they refuse to change the name of the organization.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

So why is it that people are ok with the US government paying out for its misdeeds to everyone but African Americans???

No one is boycotting Indian reservations..

In fact because of the whole congress talking about reparations thing. I have literally watched every conservative pundit probably bring up Native Americans, I guess assuming people are too stupid to realize we did , and still do pay reparations to native Americans..

Sure very few would say it is enough, but good luck finding something that is enough to make up for 300 years of slavery and 100+ of economic restrictions.. there probably isn’t that much money...

It is just soooooo obviously focused on this one community..

I wonder if it isn’t the remnants of the admittedly valid fear of a violent slave uprising. If your enslaving a group, which always includes consistent rapes and beatings, they you are pretty sure they would kill everyone if you gave them the chance..

For all of human history that has TERRIFIED slavers.any society that let the slave population reach close too 50% of theirs was pretty much built root and stem to prevent it.

It is easy to watch the seamless transition between the two of you read old newspaper headlines..

“Violent slave revolts” became “violent black revolts”, when in reality there has been remarkably few cases of African Americans committing mod violence on white Americans..

There were only 2 minor revolts and a handful for civil rights riots..

In 350 years...

It is pretty disgusting...

Because it reparations is an unworkable solution now. Had we (as in an ADOS myself) gotten our 40 acres and a mule back in the day, then I'd not necessarily have an issue with it. However, given no one alive was a slave or even owned slaves, it simply would be impossible to fairly pay out reparations.

I've yet to even hear anyone of these reparation supports say exactly how much an individual would be owed...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I would think that the Japanese American citizens who were rounded up, and robbed of their land and possessions, and dropped into internment camps might be owed something.

When slavery was abolished, the freed slaves should have been paid by those who enslaved them, and immediately shipped back to their home land. Its too late now

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I need my bills paid for free. The stress of actually having to work for anything is too much to bare. I wish I would have stayed a baby forever.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am against reparations for anyone, Indians, African-Americans, White-Americans doesn't matter. As a general rule I am against rewarding losing.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I don't know of anyone who wants to create new reservations. If you want to pay black people you are free to do so, they already have the opportunity to work their ass off and have a good life. Ganglife culture isn't going to be solved by reparations.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The United States was not the United States when slavery started. British, French, Spanish all contributed to the slave industry in North America prior to the Revolutionary War. Same could also be said for the persecution of Native Americans.

Only way to make it fair would be to demand from those countries funding to make it "right". They will of course laugh at us so that is never going to happen. It's nothing but a political stunt to pick pocket back the black voters Trump pick pocketed from them and trash white people to make sure they get just about all of them like Obama did.
edit on 27-6-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The thing about slavery is that not all slaves were forced to come to this country. It was common for a slave trader to pay the family of a person money to purchase a member to sell as a slave. Some came to this country under Indentured Servitude, which to some point is intigrated into our society to this day. People sign employment contracts all the time and are required to finish the job or have to work till their contract is up. en.m.wikipedia.org... But some of the black people were forced here to work in slavery, movies we tend to see represent some of those who were treated badly, the majority of slaves had a better life than they would have had in Africa. .

Now, lots of people came to this country under this kind of system. Not all of the slaves were forced here and not all of the slaveowners were bad. So, who do you give money to? Some of the slaves came here worked their time, were given a homestead and had a better life. There are records that could be tracked sometimes, but many are not explicit enough to know what transpired.

Don't forget, there were Chinese slave workers here too, blacks were not the only slaves.

So, no, we should not be giving money to the blacks for this, it will just increase conflict between white and black people. Now the Indians were different, they were tricked out of their land, they were forced off of reservations, they were slaughtered if they did not follow the rules, and their kids were taken away and indoctrated in schools so they could be brainwashed. They deserve reperations and the Native Americans were still getting screwed up into the sixties quite a bit and to this day they have businesses stealling oil and gas from beneath their reservations without paying a cent to the tribes.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join