It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did POTUS Trump Really Say "Illegal children don't Need Toothbrushes, Soap, and Blankets"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy
This is not a new issue

www.bbc.com...

Obama: Migrant children without claims will be sent home President Barack Obama has told Central American leaders that migrant children flooding into the US without legitimate legal claims will be sent home. The presidents of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador met Mr Obama at the White House on Friday to discuss the crisis at the US southern border. Will Grant reports from Mexico. 26 Jul 2014

Even the former potus warned migrants about taking care of their children.
www.latimes.com...

Obama warns Central American parents not to send kids to border

This has been a "crisis" for some time.
These people have the option of asylum in mexico.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

WTF do you propose we do? Take the kids and drop them off in the desert somewhere??? Heck I don't know sneak the family back across the border in the cover of darkness, let them roam the streets to fend for themselves. But accept the fact that once you took the children away from the adult they were with, you accepted the responsibility of that child. Which means if any of these 8 or 9 year old kids screws up trying to take care of that responsibility so you don't have to and the a baby is dropped, or the appointed caretakers gets stressed out and the baby ends up being harmed because of neglect or abuse... it will be the govt that is responsible.. not the parent and not the poor kid that had the responsibility dumped on them.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Congress approves 44.5 billion to take care of them and Republicans won't even vote on it because it means they have to treat these kids like human beings. Jesus would be so proud of all of you.

The senate passed the bill, and it is for $4.6 billion not 44.5 billion.
www.npr.org...

The Republican-led Senate passed its own version of an emergency aid measure, approving a $4.6 billion package to pay some of the costs of the surge of migrants crossing the southern border.

Jesus was proud.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
a reply to: XCrycek

I don't care about those children. It's the cold hard truth, but when we have plenty of children starving and homeless right here already in the country. It's hard to worry about bringing in every other child in the world and anyone saying they do care is full of #.

A 3 year old child does not know borders, nationality nor religion. A child has no political affiliation.
I care about those children, and I'm not full of #.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: LSU2018

There are stupid people everywhere.
Seems stupid to me to jeopardize ones children, but hey what do I know? Mexico seems like it could be a nice place.

How much do you know about Mexico? Ever been there?
How much have you studied the issue?

Tijuana, where the bulk of the migrant caravan is waiting, was the world’s fifth most violent city in 2017, according to a ranking (link in Spanish) by Mexican civil society group Seguridad, Justicia y Paz. Its murder rate is higher than in any city in Honduras, El Salvador, or Guatemala, where most asylum seekers at the border come from.

But the problem is that Mexico can be just as dangerous as the countries they are fleeing.

Meanwhile, surveys conducted by Doctors Without Borders in 2015 and 2016 found more than 30% of immigrant women in transit through Mexico were sexually abused.

qz.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Congress approves 44.5 billion to take care of them and Republicans won't even vote on it because it means they have to treat these kids like human beings. Jesus would be so proud of all of you.

www.npr.org...

The Republican-led Senate passed its own version of an emergency aid measure, approving a $4.6 billion package to pay some of the costs of the surge of migrants crossing the southern border.

Jesus was proud.

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father." (MT 18:10)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

It's hard to worry about bringing in every other child in the world and anyone saying they do care is full of #.

I actually feel very sorry for anyone who could believe what you just said.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

WTF do you propose we do?

Take care of them as we are currently attempting to.
www.vox.com...

At any given time, for the past several weeks, more than 2,000 children have been held in the custody of US Border Patrol without their parents.

The problem isn’t the Clint facility. The problem is the hastily-cobbled-together system of facilities Customs and Border Protection (the agency which runs Border Patrol) has thrown together in the last several months, as the unprecedented number of families and children coming into the US without papers has overwhelmed a system designed to swiftly deport single adults.

It is apparent that even an administration acting with the best interests of children in mind at every turn would be scrambling right now.

The problems that investigators identified at Clint — too many people, not enough food, no toothbrushes — weren’t inherent to that facility. They were indications of an overloaded (or neglected) system.

Perhaps we should have listened when this was referenced earlier.....
www.realclearpolitics.com...

On Date November 1, 2018

I would like to provide an update to the American people regarding the crisis on our southern border, and crisis it is. Illegal immigration affects the lives of all Americans.

Too bad congress did not act on what was then and clearly now a crisis.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

How much do you know about Mexico?

Enough to know mexico offered these people asylum NO WHERE NEAR Tijuana.
Perhaps it is you that is lacking understanding?
Tijuana is in the north west portion of mexico, no?

Under the "You are at home" plan, they would have received benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country's two southernmost states.

Were they to accept the asylum they would be NO WHERE NEAR Tijuana!

Matthew 7:5

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

sage advice

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

www.npr.org...

Jesus was proud.

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father." (MT 18:10)

how would $4.6 billion in funding "despise" anyone?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
a reply to: XCrycek

I don't care about those children. It's the cold hard truth, but when we have plenty of children starving and homeless right here already in the country. It's hard to worry about bringing in every other child in the world and anyone saying they do care is full of #.

A 3 year old child does not know borders, nationality nor religion. A child has no political affiliation.
I care about those children, and I'm not full of #.

They also don’t know they’re taking away from other starving homeless children legally in the country. But who cares about those children right? Gotta get those votes somehow.
edit on 27-6-2019 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Taking custody of the kids while their parents go through the legal process is costing more than keeping them together though especially if they have family in the states that are willing to take them in and help them out I mean at least if the parent is with them you don't have the added cost of childcare (and no, forcing other young kids to provide that childcare isn't the answer.... it's just forced labor). Not to mention inadequate to the point of being dangerous. By locking up the parents and kids separately you are negating any contribution the parent (or relative) can provide not to mention the contribution of charitable groups and possibly extended family members within the states would be willing to provide. Don't be griping about how much it costs and how it's taking away from those in need in this country when it's more than likely the needy would still be homeless and hungry even without that expense and the way they have chosen to address the problem has so greatly increased the cost to adequately care for the kids.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

So now you guys want to increase funding to programs like SNAP?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Don't be griping about how much it costs and how it's taking away from those in need in this country when it's more than likely the needy would still be homeless and hungry even without that expense and the way they have chosen to address the problem has so greatly increased the cost to adequately care for the kids.

Then talk to your hero democrat politicians that are preventing us from just turning them around at the border and saving almost $70k/illegal over their lifetime. Think outside your echo chamber next time you address me...thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

For the most part I agree with you. Except that we need to do better providing care for these kids and there are kids in custody that were accompanied by a parent while others were accompanied by close family members. And, quite frankly, I think these kids would be better taken care of by their parents or family members even if they were homeless living in shelters and eating out of the Walmart garbage dumpster!!

As far as too bad they didn't listen bit of yours, well I think if you went back far enough on these boards you would find me saying we needed to do something about the immigration problem way back in Bush years. Although I think I was saying something more to the tune that I was questioning the humanity of letting a mass of immigrants in because the time might be approaching where times would be tough and resources slim. When that happened, which it has, people would resent the newcomers and they wouldn't be safe. No one listened to me then.
So well here we are. Blame whoever you like.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

There are not 1 million aristocrats about to be killed imminently every year. Pretty much all Conservatives want a process for people in these unusual circumstances. What we don't want is for the system to be abused by the average person.

SOME children are not given toiletries, if they are only staying a short while. That is because of funding, it's a crisis Democrats caused. The media took the fact SOME, on short stays, do not have them and turned it into stories insinuating none of them do. The media knows that is a lie, they don't care.

I love immigrants. My wife is one. She is not white. My kids will not be white. I will never be for mass immigration and a broken system that rewards illegals. IF there is a need for immigrants the law should reflect that need so that those seasonal jobs can be legally hired. Ask yourself why Democrats refuse to do that. Power. The misery of these people is turned into Democrat power by them and their allies in the media.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Always have I'm a liberal that no longer has a party, so I voted Trump. I fully support social programs for needy Americans. I don't support social programs for illegals that only come all the way to our country because the establishment politicians use issues to garner votes and not fix them.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
As far as too bad they didn't listen bit of yours, well I think if you went back far enough on these boards you would find me saying we needed to do something about the immigration problem way back in Bush years.

There are a lot of sane liberals. I resent the progressive fanatics all the more because they drown out the voice of reasonable liberals. On ATS progressives consider me some far right fanatic, despite the fact I am for single payer health care (done right) and the fact I grew up a Democrat and have never once in my life voted for a Republican.

This us vs them mentality being forced on us needs to stop.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

When I go on a trip somewhere, I always take my blanket and toothbrush, soap and necessities with me. Don't you? Why wouldn't they already have one with them?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Toothpaste +toothbrush is about 5 cents per day per child.

Now multiply that by about 25,000-30,000 and tell me how cheap it is again?

Well, since you asked...that's about $1500/day. We could knock some multi-thousand dollar hammers and toilet seats off various budgets (I'm sure the ones we've got are in better shape than our administrative computer systems hardware we have to raid Ebay to buy out-of-production parts for) and probably make up the difference with money to spare.

Regardless, even failing that the government could easily scrounge up a bit over half a million annually through various other sources. Not that they necessarily should in a case like this (although I can definitely think about some programs and budgets this realistically justifies supplanting some funding from), but the amount is certainly by no means insurmountable.

Ever the devil's advocate. Be well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join