It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Crenshaw Grills Google Over Leaked Email Published by Veritas

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

The government should keep it's nose out of free market.

I agree, until free market impinges on the rights of the citizen.

I have to ask, at what point does the free market lose its power?

Never? At some point? When?

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

In this instance I'm reserving judgement. Project Veritas is not a reliable source. I'll wait till the emails are independently verified.

I could swear you type the same as some silly woman I know.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Lumenari

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Let me ask you a question.

Is this in relation to the Project Veritas video?

Yes.

Did you miss the OP, the topic, the Veritas video, the testimony?

Because if you missed all that then I can understand your confusion.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Unfortunately that box was unsealed with Citizens United.

And I still believe that the money they use afterwards has far more influence than on social media platforms.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

In this instance I'm reserving judgement.

Project Veritas is not a reliable source. I'll wait till the emails are independently verified.

RRHHeee translator...

This does not fit my conformation bias so I will wait to see what CNN tells me to think.

edit on 26-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Free market would be great.

Except that when alternatives to big tech monopolies come out and then are subsequently attacked/blocked or have their(alt techs) right to "free market" crushed.

What then?

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

In this instance I'm reserving judgement.

Project Veritas is not a reliable source. I'll wait till the emails are independently verified.

Also the google employee is speaking out about the interview.

www.thesun.co.uk...

It's not 'a employee' it's numerous ones.

But the one you are referring to ...

“We all got screwed over in 2016, again it wasn’t just us, it was, the people got screwed over, the news media got screwed over, like, everybody got screwed over so we’ve rapidly been like, what happened there and how do we prevent it from happening again.”

She also said: “We're also training our algorithms, like, if 2016 happened again, would we have, would the outcome be different?”

How does that statement correlate with Russian interference? It doesn't.
edit on 26-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Why is Gabriel Weinberg not getting any attention. He is basically going up against Google easily as a search tool with Duck Duck Go without all this political crying and flailing around. Crenshaw should have threw his name out there for running a more respected search tool than Google. I bet that would have really got under their skin.
edit on 26-6-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

a reply to: pianopraze

I like how everyone is for less government regulation unless it's something you don't like. Then you're all for the government going in and making regulations.

If we're going into a world where more and more of our business and information are to be curated by the large tech companies, then they do not get to censor what goes on them. If they do, then we no longer have freedom of speech.

It's really that simple.

I would prefer they self-regulate, but leftists seem to have forgotten what that means.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Because Google is more than just search. I use google docs/slides constantly for school projects.
edit on 26-6-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Well aware Google is more than a search. If you read the thread I said they have massive cloud contracts with the government along with other tech contracts.

If you watch the Crenshaw video he is referring to their search functions...blocking, banning ability. Nothing about Gmail, Google Docs.

Duck Duck Go doesn't do this stuff and stays out of politics. Just a tiny company but have better functionality than Google is many regards. They don't take personal data or get into politics. Can even turn ads off.
edit on 26-6-2019 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Dan Crenshaw will make a good President in 2024.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Section 230 says Google is like phone company. Anyone can use phone and the company not responsible for what is said.

Google is refusing to allow some people to use phone if they say things they don't like. That makes them publisher not a public forum.

Remove 230 protections they are liable for what is said on their platform like all the other publishers. They won't stand for that. So they will go back to being a public forum - a phone company - so they aren't liable.

This is not government regulation. It is the opposite. This is removing government protections which is worth BILLIONS to Google.

Your argument is not valid.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It is the role of government to interfere in everything we do, they have been doing that for a long time and will continue to do it. It is the role of government to define what is acceptable and what is unacceptable.

The rise of big tech has brought with it a whole new playing field and can of worms for people to jump in and be people. Without some one to umpire and define the lines of the game things fall apart pretty quick.

Absolutely it is the up to Google, Facebook and other to sort their own mess out. When they cannot or fail to see the mess they are making then it is up to big brother to point these things out to them. The easy way or the hard way. Tech companies call.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I met Dan Crenshaw before he was elected. Super smart former Navy Seal. Uses sound reasoning which is uncommon in Congress. He's not a solid Trump supporter. He is all about what is best for Americans. I was impressed but doubt I ever get to talk with him again like I did.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

When it starts breaking the law.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

I agree, until free market impinges on the rights of the citizen.

I have to ask, at what point does the free market lose its power?

Never? At some point? When?

If they start to regulate free market when it comes to campaigns, do you think that would effect Fox and their obvious bias, or MSNBC with theirs?

I think as citizens we are obligated to know that in a society with free speech, some will find ways to abuse it... But that's not the governments job to protect us from that.

However, I don't think they should be able to give unlimited funds towards political agendas... That is not speech IMO.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I don't watch CNN. Neither do I look at all the right winged bias news either.

Don't assume man.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Not only that, but in a lot of cases, many of these same big tech corps have received deals from government/s that have allowed them to become the monopolies they are. If they're going to continue to be monopolies, they have certain responsibilities, especially if they're receiving government preference in order to make them such.

Not only that, but I thought most leftists were anti-big corp ... or is that just anti-big corp until those big companies allow them to control the narrative and make sure only that speech they want to see and hear is what is seen and heard?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   

All news is biased. It comes with the individual. We cannot help ourselves, and what we write will be biased according to how we perceive the world around us. Sometimes, it's very subtle, but it exists in how we present the facts and our word choice.

So, yeah, we are, even when we try not to be, even you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join