It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Can't make this up) CBS 60Mins finally learned rifles more powerful than pistols

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
A 22 Long rifle bullet can take down a deer if a person is a good shot and knows where to aim for.

Agreed.

Shot placement is a major factor in lethality.
Caliber and velocity is important, not as much as hit location.

In the right hands, a BB gun could be more lethal than powder. Not saying I would use a BB gun to prove my point, but if someone can't aim to hit what they are shooting at, it won't matter.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Looks good. I have a 45-70 that put a hole in my metal target at 150 yards and went another 50 and took a chunk out of one of my Cypress trees. Only downfall is that it's a single shot rifle.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: face23785

Looks good. I have a 45-70 that put a hole in my metal target at 150 yards and went another 50 and took a chunk out of one of my Cypress trees. Only downfall is that it's a single shot rifle.

45-70 is a beast of a round. I've always wanted one of these.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hey you can't blame lefties for not knowing anything about guns that they didn't learn in the ultra-violent Hollyweird movies and FPS video games. Made FOR liberals BY liberals. They hate guns. And that's why every single thing that has ever come out of the liberal entertainment industry features lots of guns and bleeding and violence and dead people everywhere. Apparently, it never occurred to them that stupid people don't know they're not supposed to do what they see in movies, on TV and in video games.

For some reason, every Hollywood movie has fully automatic machine guns in them even though they have been all but illegal for ages.
edit on 26-6-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Sent a PM to answer.

Sorry if off topic to your thread.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I love my .45-70, Marlin Stainless Guide model 1895
With Underwood Extreme penetrator 305 grain +p.

Definitely more powerful than a pistol....but frankly, my 6" Super Redhawk .454, shooting underwood 250 grain extreme penetrators will give it a damn fine run for the money...boy does it sting

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Oh man, you guys just had to bring up the .45-70 didn't you.

I'm hoping to one day also, find a lever action, but a little older than the ones you guys mentioned.

An 1886 would be my choice. I like the older ones, just my type.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Leftist media is made up of intellectually lazy and biased people.

They don't care about reporting the truth. They just wanna scare people.

Only the idiot leftist media discovered this fact today. Everyone else is wondering "what's new?"

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's legal in my state to deer hunt with rimfire.

Personally, I would be willing to attempt it, if I had the confidence that I'd be able to get within 30~ feet of the deer before firing.

However, most look down on the practice. If you don't get a kill shot, it's a bad scenario to imagine for such a deer.

I would definitely want that nape of the skull shot, if at all possible, but only from a range so close it's nigh impossible anyway.

Anything else, and you just have an injured deer that's going to be in pain, confused, and running free. A very dangerous situation, and a torture of an end.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I've knocked out whole herds of wild hogs with tannerite and a well placed shot.
Couldn't really report an accurate number.
It was pretty much raining potted meat for a minute.
I have no problems with hogs rooting up my garden since.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

I like the older ones too, but you cant fire the hotter rounds, like the Underwood loads I mentioned, or hot hand loads.

But I like your style, thats a beautiful ol rifle.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
What about my favorite , the old fashioned shotgun ?
I have "Old Betsy" (10 Gauge) double barrel , rabbit eared.
I also have my great grandfather's 8 gauge. Fired it once. It would have to be a REAL emergency for me to fire it a second time.
It is rumored he used it to take down trees.The one he was shooting at , and the one he was holding the stock against.
Two for one.
I believe it.
Arm a little ?
Arm a little ?
I dont need no stinkin "Arm a little" .
(No AR does not stand for Assault Rifle)

ETA - in all fairness , I do have 2 ARs which are great . A .556 will not stop till the job is done.

edit on 6/26/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/26/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What is even worse is they made it sound like all school shootings are done with that gun as well when there have been a lot, maybe more, done with pistols - let's not forget Columbine - no AR-15 there.

As far as the report, I have to say that I think this is a re-run as I felt like I had seen it before. I knew exactly what they were going to say when talking about the trauma kits and even the guy who sends his kid to school with one - seen it already on CBS. I've also seen the 5yr old recovering from the Texas Church shooting, the same exact footage b/c I remembered the comments the doctor made and the child's reaction. IDK if this was 100% re-run or if only 80% of it was.

When they were interviewing the guy who said that the biggest crisis "we" (the nation) is facing is school shootings b/c of how common they are, and there was absolutely NO questioning of it, I was enraged. If you do the math of the number of days in school per year (~180) times the number of schools, you are probably more likely to get hit by lightening 2x in a week than be shot in a school. IIRC, when I heard this before I made a thread about the incidence level (being killed in a mass school shooting) and it was something on the level of 800 billion to 1 for any one student on any given school day - it actually might have been much higher than that, but I forget.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Leftist media is made up of intellectually lazy and biased people.

They don't care about reporting the truth. They just wanna scare people.

Only the idiot leftist media discovered this fact today. Everyone else is wondering "what's new?"

If you are an example of right media...then we gonna take your guns away.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

You really shouldn't issue personal threats.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   

You really shouldn't issue personal threats.

It's just an expression of political free speech...I apologize if I threatened you or your guns.
edit on 16CDT10America/Chicago027101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   

You just threatened to take my rights because you don't like what I say.

Keep it up genius.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

You just threatened to take my rights because you don't like what I say.

Keep it up genius.

No, I suggested if what you are saying is right media, then your guns should be taken away from you. But, I apologize again, because this thread is not about politics, it is about fire power related to gun engineering and bullet engineering. And so many white American men certainly prefer AK-15 firepower, or am I wrong?
edit on 16CDT10America/Chicago048101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   

My opinion is protected by the first amendment.

Exercise of one right is not an excuse or a justification for taking another.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 10:49 PM
link   

My opinion is protected by the first amendment.

Exercise of one right is not an excuse or a justification for taking another.

Read more, like above.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join