It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Iran Strong Enough to Go to War with the U.S.?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Jesushere

Pretty much everything you said here is a mischaracterization. We weren't fighting "peasants" in Korea. The North Koreans were heavily backed by the Chinese and Soviets. That's the entire reason we were in Korea in the first place. Soviet and Chinese fighter pilots were flying against us in modern equipment.

Vietnam was a political failure, not a military one. This has been covered already in here.

Desert Storm wasn't just a "large engagement" it was a major victory against a large and modern foreign military, precisely the thing you say we haven't achieved since 1945. What made the difference was we didn't # around in Desert Storm. We attacked with overwhelming force with good strategy. Iraq's army was well-equipped but they were simply outmatched and outperformed. That's why they started deserting.

I am by no means saying that Iran would be a cakewalk but you greatly overestimate their capabilities, just like Iraq was overestimated prior to Desert Storm. Go back and watch some of the news coverage on Youtube from the leadup to the war. They make it sound like it'll be armageddon. It was--for the Iraqi army.

You need to read up more real history and less "# America" propaganda.

ETA: All of this assumes we're invading Iran by the way, which we aren't. If we do strike Iran there will be no invasion. This is just something people have to make up because they can't argue the actual facts of the situation. All they can do is whine about Iraq, when this is nothing like the Iraq situation.
edit on 26 6 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I think America isn't going to do a damn thing without the support of the international community...that's the first thing they have to win.

Peace
edit on 26-6-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: CanadianMason

i'm not clear as to why the u.s. wants to go into iran in the first place.

I'm not clear where the U.S. stated they want to go into Iran in the first place.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: subfab

i'm not clear as to why the u.s. wants to go into iran in the first place.

I'm not clear where the U.S. stated they want to go into Iran in the first place.

Since those sanctions they can't sell their oil or very hard, the EU was a big customer (the EU got a big warning if they ignore those sanctions they may be cut of the dollar financial system.
With destroying Iran's economy where people in Iran loosing their jobs/income & face poverty, yes that's just war as well.
edit on 26-6-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pluginn
If they do help Iran out might the US starting a war against Iran, things might get very ugly fast.

Tow points. Who is starting a war here?

It seems to me Iran is trying to provoke a reaction by mining tankers and shooting down drones. Anyway, a few cruise missiles a war does not make.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Pluginn
If they do help Iran out might the US starting a war against Iran, things might get very ugly fast.

Tow points. Who is starting a war here?

It seems to me Iran is trying to provoke a reaction by mining tankers and shooting down drones. Anyway, a few cruise missiles a war does not make.

No proof that Iran is behind that attack and secondly no proof that that drone was not within Iranian borders.

But before that happened this happened....:
The US left the Nuclear treaty and right after attacked Iran with sanctions (without a good reason) and more, putting ships/carrier(s) close bye, drones, bombers, sending soldiers close to their borders and such.

Who is provoking who exactly?
edit on 26-6-2019 by Pluginn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Mainly because they were funded and supported by the USA through the Iran Iraq proxy war.

Austria, Brazil, China, Belgium, Denmark, east Germany, West Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Singapore , South Africa, Soviet union, Spain, Sudan, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom and Yugoslavia all supported Iraq during the Iraq Iran war too.

You must have a biased outlook ?

In most part because Saddam believed the words of Rumsfeld and the US administration , a lesson Iran has no doubt taken note of.

What words?

edit on 26-6-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
After 72 hours it will be a Turkey shoot. US has no need for ground Invasion, which would be nasty. Only need to bomb them to Stone Age.

I seem to remember those same "bomb them back to the Stone Age" words being used by Curtis Lemay in reference to the Vietnam War. I should remember since I did some of the bombing. We dropped almost 8 million tons (tons!) of bombs in that conflict. And North Vietnam won that war. Rolling Thunder and the various Linebacker operations were suppose to quickly end the conflict. We need a new law that requires anyone who advocates for a war or votes for one be drafted and be the first ones deployed to the conflict. No college exemptions, no bone spur exemptions. If you want to be a warmonger you get to be a warfighter. They should all be assigned as 11Bs.
edit on 26-6-2019 by F4guy because: my bombing was more accurate than my spelling

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Ronald Reagan destroyed half of Iran's fleet in less than a day, LOL. I wonder if it's any larger/more capable now, since Obama pumped up their coffers?

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have watched this situation for 40 years (longer than some of you have been alive) and I'm a student of geopolitics and world history. President Trump has said he would obliterate Iran if they choose to start a war and I take him at his word. If Iran is stupid enough to attack and causes significant US causalities the President will carry out a preemptive nuclear strike on Iran and the Iranian military will disappear in a nuclear glow.

He has the authority as Commander and Chief to defend US national interests and make no mistake about it. If it happens and he orders a strike and sends the codes the US Military will carry out his orders and obliterate Iran.

This has been going on to long and the world won't care. Their reaction will be naughty naughty now let's send some medical help and Iran can go to hell. My best,

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
And still proponents seem to downplay the risk of this possible war.

Yes, we can defeat Iran militarily. But not without Israel suffering massive attack of which many many of them would be killed.

Anyone who says different probably said same about how 2nd Iraq war would be a cakewalk since the 1st was.

Iraq war was entirely different than the Gulf War. War with Iran will be another entirely different war. 2 front war almost right from the start, one front in a narrow and very critical shipping lane. The other front spanning entirety of Israel, Lebanon and Syria. Then it will get real nteresting after that.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Dbl
edit on 27-6-2019 by Strate8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

I mean yeah, they are strong enough to ENGAGE us in a war.....that would last about 3 days and then their military would be completely decimated. They can try if they want to though.

Not really, Iran practices what is known as asymmetric warefare. this means that It wouldn't confront the US on an open battlefield like an enemy in WWII would have.

Instead it would use small detatchments and ambush tactics. You could destroy Iran's infrastructure but that's about it. The bulk of its military would survive.

If you bomb Iran today a group of Iranians will turn up with a SAM on the flight path of a big airport and suddenly this 3 day war will be on your doorstep and there will be hundreds of dead.

It also has a large stock of S4 and S5 missiles. An air war will cost America most of its drones. And some human pilots as well. And given the cost of these things it would bankrupt the military.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Am I the only one who saw the recent pentagon plans to use low yield nukes to gain battlefield advantage?According to a article on Drudge it was published and quickly pulled off official sites. Obliterated is a interesting choice of words to describe what’s going to happen if war breaks out in the context of that plan.

If Washington nukes idan, Iran chemical bomb s isreal. It's lose lose all the way.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: ridgerunner
Am I the only one who saw the recent pentagon plans to use low yield nukes to gain battlefield advantage?According to a article on Drudge it was published and quickly pulled off official sites. Obliterated is a interesting choice of words to describe what’s going to happen if war breaks out in the context of that plan.

If Washington nukes idan, Iran chemical bomb s isreal. It's lose lose all the way.

Or......Iran evens the score for 911 … JFK....and everything else :they: have done to try causing another world war so their secular society can they "think" come out on top rules the Earth.

edit on 27-6-2019 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wars are rarely fought today with traditional weapons and armies.

They could be crippled without firing a weapon

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth
Wars are rarely fought today with traditional weapons and armies.

They could be crippled without firing a weapon

No kidding huh....if you knew how many 30-60 year old Chineese/Asian men I see pedalling bicycles around major cities in Canada you would stop drop and roll......because there is no way into America unless you come thru Canada....technology means no one can get troops into planes and anywhere near the USA....but Canada is a wet paper bag run by Rainbow Warriors in most cities....38 million people....13 MILLION BABIES ARE aborted in China every year...think about that....? Every 3 years Canadas entire population is aborted in China.

Anyone getting the drift here yet?.....

Wars will begin and end internally now IMHO....

Example.

Anyone could form a 50,000 person Army WITHIN CANADA and effectively force the Countries surrender in record time....www.globalfirepower.com...

TMP = 94k......ATMP 64k....case closed.

ATMP are spread thin,so very transparently thin.

Within 24 hours you could cripple the entire Countries infrastructure and every major city.Drop the power Grids drop the Water supply drop the INternet drop the civic central structure edmontonjournal.com... -statscan ….69k Civil Police NATIONWIDE...… www.answers.com... does not include Federal level Agents....does this give perspective...….canadaimmigrants.com... used old numbers on purpose.

When you have time and surprise on your hands....

How many Sea-Cans of parts and pieces of required support materials have slowly been smuggled in and are sitting there right now just waiting to be utilised....

And those smart looking healthy fighting age Bicycle peddaling "grey people" just keep silently peddaling around every single day....patiently waiting....

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: airforce47

and I'm a student

and

If Iran is stupid enough to attack and causes significant US causalities the President will carry out a preemptive nuclear strike on Iran and the Iranian military will disappear in a nuclear glow.

So let me get this right, Trump will drop a nuke and all Iranian military will disappear, really?

How big is this nuke to cover the whole of Iran or will the Iranians bunch all their assets together to make it easy?

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: airforce47

and I'm a student

and

If Iran is stupid enough to attack and causes significant US causalities the President will carry out a preemptive nuclear strike on Iran and the Iranian military will disappear in a nuclear glow.

So let me get this right, Trump will drop a nuke and all Iranian military will disappear, really?

How big is this nuke to cover the whole of Iran or will the Iranians bunch all their assets together to make it easy?

Could be more than one?

Personally, I doubt that nukes would be used. Decapitate the leadership with "conventional" weapons.

posted on Jun, 27 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
Personally, I doubt that nukes would be used. Decapitate the leadership with "conventional" weapons.

Like Shock and Awe, right? Thankfully we took them all out and didn't need to produce a deck of cards with their faces on it so we could hunt them down over the next two years.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join