It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Iran Strong Enough to Go to War with the U.S.?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Strate8

I don't play Call Of Duty. Nice cheap shot though. I give you credit for that.

In WWI and WWII there were tons of civilian casualties. I am not debating or denying that.

The middle east is different. Germans didn't wire 6-year-olds with explosives and send them into US camps to blow themselves up. Germany wasn't waging guerilla-style warfare hiding behind hospitals and elementary schools.

You know as well as I do if you want to kill your enemy you have to take the war to them, wherever they are. It is sad and unfortunate that scum like this use children as human shields. At some point, it becomes necessary to accept collateral damage. Of course, the goal is to keep it minimized, and that does not make it easier. But it is still necessary.

But it is important to remember that these people were following orders. That doesn't mean they have no feelings about it. But it means they have the knowledge that it was their duty, not their desire. Some times it is necessary to kill in the line of duty. Some people are more traumatized by it than others. But I am not saying, nor will I say, that none of them feel it or wish it could have been different. No one wants war. Well, no one sane anyway. But when it becomes necessary you fight to win. Anything less means a longer more drawn out conflict with more casualties, civilian included.

I appreciate your service. And I am sorry it still haunts you. Take comfort in the fact that you did your duty, and served your country with honor.

Respect.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Yes, true it was a cheap shot I took on Call of Duty.

Buried in the cheap shot there is truth. Call of Duty and games like it are intended to dehumanize the enemy and instill the mentality to kill quickly without much thought. I took to that conditioning in the military knowing full well what I was being conditioned to do. And I embraced it at the time because there was war and it is survival.

What stayed with me a very long time was the WM (female Marine) we gave CPR to who was crushed and killed by the truck she was driving when it overturned. That was just during training on base in our "safe space". That was something none of us were conditioned for and we did what was hopeless because we felt helpless. My friend stomped a Somali kid to the ground while on patrol, that affected him for a while. Another had constant nightmares about the surrendering Iraqi he killed with a 50cal as the guy opened the hatch and stuck a white flag out.

On the ground, it's personal, you see the aftermath of every decision you make. I am very uncomfortable with anyone thanking me for my service as are many of those that served.
I appreciate the sentiment, but I made decisons I'm proud of and some I'm not, I'm better than some and worse than others and share in common with them that we all did things most of civilized society would not.

Yes, there is time for war. It sure as heck better be justified and all other options tried as hard as they can before that call comes in.

We have been in a state of war for a long time now but it has not hit home. If our government keeps going down this path, it will hit home eventually and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Last bit:
www.fort-russ.com...

Speaking nothing of capability, they are voicing their intent. Same thing as I have stated previously that they will do if we attack them.

posted on Jul, 2 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GD
a reply to: yuppa

There is some truth there, for sure. There has never been a separate Palestinian nation. It's always been a part of Israel, the Roman Empire or even the Ottoman Empire. BUT, as FredT stated. State on state violence leads to a slippery slope.

Judea was there before it was renamed Palestinia, the original Palestinian people were destroyed to the last man woman and child before the hebrews/jews created israel and judea. These modern one are pretenders to the throne.

new topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join