It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An oldie but goodie for dealing with fever & sickness - overcoming that horrible cold feeling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Over the last few years I've had a few occasions where I've had either the flu, a severe cold or maybe food poisoning and in all cases I felt like I was freezing and could just not get warm. Even putting on layers of long sleeve shirts, sweaters, sweat shirts, didn't seem to work very well, so I'd bundle up with heavy blankets and down comforters. These usually did the trick but they take time (like 20-60+ mins) for the heat to build up under the covers. Even with electric blankets I found those largely lacking compared to the other option I found, which was a staple of treating these conditions in the past - which is hot water bottles/bladders and some even used metal enclosures with coals inside (with an insulation layer inside & they were 100% sealed from letting air in, so no burning inside of these).

So I took a few 2L soda bottles and filled them with hot water, regular tap water (usually varies from 120-150F depending on house and water heater settings). I placed these under the covers with me, to either side of my body and one between my knees. I can say that I've never felt such relief so quickly while being very sick. As the heat transfers to under the covers, your body absorbs it and the water slowly cools. With these you can't fall asleep and wake up absolutely baking like you can with an electric blanket, which has happened too many times in my experience, but maybe some blankets have a timer but many/most seem not to.

I also found another very odd added benefit which was a decrease in muscular pain in much of my body which had been fairly bad before applying the heat. I never experienced this with electric blankets, but it has been a much appreciated side effect each time I've used hot water bottles. I guess this is similar to applying hot/cold for muscular injuries. I also have noticed much clearer sinuses after doing this, which is another abnormality.

So while it may not be the most high tech solution, it has been a saving grace on numerous occasions for me and I'd never go back to using an electric blanket after experiencing this.

One thing you should be aware of is that the bottles should not directly touch the skin and is best to have some kind of blanket in between, or you might experience almost rash like symptoms where the heat was much higher on the skin - I've never experienced this when separated by a thin blanket (thickness similar to that of sweatshirt material).

I've also tried using double seal ziplock bags and never had a problem with one leaking. These might be more comfortable as you don't have the hard plastic body poking or pushing onto you.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I hardly ever get sick. But in the winter times I like to take a nice hot soak in the tub. Seems the only way to get that warmth into my bones in the cold months.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
I hardly ever get sick.

Same. I mostly attribute this to licking the tray tables on my several flights I take weekly and also sucking stem cells out of children's necks with my 24kt sippy straw when I'm home.

posted on Jun, 26 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Have you ever heard of a hot water bottle? They are made for this exact purpose.
They are also made in a way that the heat will last a very long time, are easy to fill, are flexible and
you can put cold water in them too.

new topics

top topics

join