It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYTimes reports on conditions in US Immigrant Children Camps and says conditions are really bad

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

The Obama Administration had a "catch and release" policy for families and non-criminal migrants. Remember? The Obama Administration didn't have a "no tolerance" policy of detaining and separating children from every family unit that entered the USA, either at the border or between check points. That' all Trump and his cronies.

It was the Trump Administration that did away with "catch and release" and instituted a "no tolerance" policy, which is why we have so many children in detention right now.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Going by the releases from the news and ICE some 2 million are set for deportation because they have already been denied by the system in place. Those are the ones being targeted and Trump stayed that for 2 weeks giving Congress a chance to pass something to help the matter. Those people have been here long enough to apply for asylum and if they didn't then that is on them and if they did they didn't qualify. Either way, they need to go.

I am sympathetic to asylum seekers but if they don't qualify then they simply shouldn't be here.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: Fallingdown
The Liberals are using the welfare of children to their advantage again .

The way to end this mess is with a wall or permanent barrier .

Instead the Liberals would rather see children suffer .

We (the liberals....all of us) would like to state that we collectively agree that we believe that the mistreatment of children should be above partisan politics and that even the right should agree that children suffering is wrong regardless of politics.

We understand that this may be politically inconvenient for you lot but we would ask that you rise above the politics of this and call out the mistreatment of children regardless.

Yours kindly...

The collective hive mind that is "the liberals"

So, isn't the humane solution not to allow them into this country if they are destined to be treated worse the the fearful country they are fleeing?

Thanks for agreeing we need to stop them all at the border.

Kudos!

No we feel improving the conditions in these facilities would be the optimal solution.

No one cares what you think about our borders. You live on a damn island. Jeez.
Actually, I do, and so do a lot of others. It's allowed, even if it makes you sad.

You don’t live in the U.S. either so no one cares what you think either.
edit on 2019/6/23 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

So, coming in and sneaking around undocumented is a right guaranteed under international treaty now?

And US law, yep!

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.
You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States
www.uscis.gov...

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

But it's a proven fact donchano, the first orange president simply trumps the first black president...

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Going by the releases from the news and ICE some 2 million are set for deportation because they have already been denied by the system in place. Those are the ones being targeted and Trump stayed that for 2 weeks giving Congress a chance to pass something to help the matter. Those people have been here long enough to apply for asylum and if they didn't then that is on them and if they did they didn't qualify. Either way, they need to go.

I am sympathetic to asylum seekers but if they don't qualify then they simply shouldn't be here.

Right. Those people that Trump threatened to round up have deportation orders, whether they applied for asylum or overstayed their visas, or were found guilty of committing a crime while here legally.

But, Trump gave Congress 2 weeks, that I'm not sure they asked for, and deportees a 2 week reprieve, to change asylum laws and close the loopholes.

None of that has anything to do with the treatment of these children in detention.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: Krakatoa

We need to release these people back to the lives they were living here in the US. Their valuable contributions to our GDP, and assistance to our workforce our overlooked.

It's awful that we are treating hard working people seeking a better life like garbage.

I can't believe we're holding children and babies in these facilities!

Let them go! Allow them to contribute to our amazing country!

Let freedom ring and prosperity be in their future!

This Nation was built on people just walking in here and setting up shop. It's how we became the world's symbol for liberty. Open the borders!

Yes, that's the answer. How many should we ship to your neighborhood. To your home for you to house, feed, clean, and care for until they die?

How many do you personally want to help, or do you just expect everyone else to fork over their $$$ to that purpose?

Every illegal immigrant I know or have met has a job, and they work insanely hard.

When they get sick, they pay for medicine and doctors visits they buy food from stores, they put work in, In our communities, they even do volunteer work. They also gave extremely strong and supportive families

What kind of ID do they use to accomplish these feats of grandeur ?😎

They work for cash until they can buy a social security number.. which is way cheaper than meeting the crazy high cost and income standards to obtain citizenship legally. Especially for people from poorer countries.

Also, certain states will issue legal state IDs and driver's licenses to non citizens with certain documentation.

Believe it or not, there's illegals that pay taxes too.

Clearly there's too many people here who have never encountered an illegal immigrant. There's a lot of misconceptions.. they aren't going he Boogeyman. 99% of them are people who had nothing back in there home country and they came for opportunity and to escape the gangs, cartel, and living conditions.

They don't have the means or any ways to earn the means back home to get a working visa, a green card, and apply for citizenship.

The whole process is extremely expensive, and even when you put yourself in the pipeline you can still get denied.

Our immigration system is designed to favor educated Europeans with means. If you have alot of $$, or if you have slot of higher education in a sought after field and you come from Europe... and you have family here. Immigration is easy.

If youre a poor citizen of a less fortunate country with no family or support here and no higher education, you chances are slim to none.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Right. Those people that Trump threatened to round up have deportation orders, whether they applied for asylum or overstayed their visas, or were found guilty of committing a crime while here legally.

But, Trump gave Congress 2 weeks, that I'm not sure they asked for, and deportees a 2 week reprieve, to change asylum laws and close the loopholes.

None of that has anything to do with the treatment of these children in detention.

The treatment of the children sucks. Most people agree with that. The blame is on Congress for that. They can pass laws and funding to remedy it.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   

So, coming in and sneaking around undocumented is a right guaranteed under international treaty now?

And US law, yep!

To obtain asylum through the affirmative asylum process you must be physically present in the United States. You may apply for asylum status regardless of how you arrived in the United States or your current immigration status.
You must apply for asylum within one year of the date of their last arrival in the United States
www.uscis.gov...

So I can just saunter over there, work while not paying taxes and live in your backyard, then shout racist at the officers come to detain me, and you'll incessantly post your diatribe in pursuit of the injustice unfolding over my deportation?

You are not talking about genuine asylum seekers any more, you switch topics so as to appear to have a coherent argument, but fall short of it every time.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Asylum seekers are not the topic of this tread. They are incidental to the children being held in detention and being denied basic human rights.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:11 PM
link   

The treatment of the children sucks. Most people agree with that. The blame is on Congress for that. They can pass laws and funding to remedy it.

I don't think there is a line item for soap and toothbrushes, etc., when detention centers are funded. That kind of budgeting is relegated to the facility itself, I believe. And, there is already a "law" requiring these detention facilities to provide basic human rights, the Flores Settlement. The problem is, the Trump Admin is arguing that soap and toothpaste, beds and blankets aren't human rights required by the Flores Settlement, therefore they aren't required to provide them.

They aren't arguing they can't afford it because of Congress. They're arguing that they don't because they don't have to.

edit on 23-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Here's a vēr̃y ínter̃estíng law........

Illegal Gains Law

1. Temporary imprisonment.

2. Restitute the value of the illegal gain, and all that is proved to be in his or her financial
asset as of funds which he or she has gains by means of the illegal gain.

3. Pay a financial fine that is equal to the value of the illegal gain.
💥😁💥

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

We need to release these people back to the lives they were living here in the US. Their valuable contributions to our GDP, and assistance to our workforce our overlooked.

It's awful that we are treating hard working people seeking a better life like garbage.

I can't believe we're holding children and babies in these facilities!

Let them go! Allow them to contribute to our amazing country!

Let freedom ring and prosperity be in their future!

This Nation was built on people just walking in here and setting up shop. It's how we became the world's symbol for liberty. Open the borders!

If you mean what you say .....

Sponsor a family into your home.

Do a thread with pictures after they get there .

To be honest I'd love to. My girlfriend has family in El Salvador I'm sure some would much rather be here.

That being said, a family? The income requirements are strict. I don't make enough for them to approve me to support 1 person let alone a family and I have a great job.

I think you might not be aware of how high the requirements are to sponsor someone.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

It sounds like what needs to be provided has to be mandated by Congress or court. Line items if need be.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

a reply to: mtnshredder

These are not people leaving because of life threatening situations

Says you.....

Regardless of you opinion of people you don't know anything about, the facts remains the same.

You must be on US soil to claim asylum, and claiming asylum is not be an illegal act, under federal law and international treaties.

Oh but they're asylum seekers, I forgot you moved the goalposts to continue your argument. Orange man honk reeeee..

‘Orange man honk reeeeee’ is EXACTLY what the argument is. Not a single bit more, not a single deviation from that.

To hear the left ‘claim’ they care one little bit about these illegal-immigrant children is simply laughable.

It’s most definitely ‘Orange man honk reeeee’ as can be seen by the ever shifting goal posts, the ever changing subject point and the total refusal to address the answers that more-than address their ‘complaints’

But the good news is, or as I like to call it the ‘funny part’ is: Trump is there for at least five and half more years, and he is NOT going to allow people to immigrate ILLEGALLY, regardless how loud they honk.
edit on 23 6 2019 by Breakthestreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

The Obama Administration had a "catch and release" policy for families and non-criminal migrants. Remember? The Obama Administration didn't have a "no tolerance" policy of detaining and separating children from every family unit that entered the USA, either at the border or between check points. That' all Trump and his cronies.

It was the Trump Administration that did away with "catch and release" and instituted a "no tolerance" policy, which is why we have so many children in detention right now.

SO, they (the Obama administration) IGNORED the law on the books? I see...if the law doesn't meet your expectations, just ignore it?

Sure doesn't sound very presidential to me.

edit on 6/23/2019 by Krakatoa because: added additional clarification of "they"

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Oh, and my earlier recommendation regarding asylum seekers (which you brought up) would have solved this issue by preventing it in the first place.

You mean that you would propose to end asylum in the USA?

Who said anything about ending it in the USA? Sure the hell was not ME. I suggested allowing it in our embassies to prevent these long dangerous treks with children to get here. Where does that say end it here?

C'mon, please expand your mind past Have/Not & black/orange.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Oh, and my earlier recommendation regarding asylum seekers (which you brought up) would have solved this issue by preventing it in the first place.

Preventing "what", in the first place?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   

SO, they (the Obama administration) IGNORED the law on the books? I see...if the law doesn't meet your expectations, just ignore it?

There is no law on the books that says that migrant families must be separated at the border.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 09:50 PM
link   

There is no law on the books that says that migrant families must be separated at the border.

The law states a short timeframe that a family can be held. If the investigation going into weather the adult(s) accompanying these children are actually related (and not smugglers or human traffickers) then they cannot be legally held together. The last administration decided to IGNORE that and simply release these children into the hands of uninvestigated adults who (a good percentage has been proven) to be human traffickers.

So, tell me, which is better, holding the children until they can be reunited with actual proven family members, or releasing them to human traffickers into the sex slave trade or worse? If holding them saves ONE child from a life of being a child sex slave for perverted pedophiles, then we should keep them in our care. In order to do that, we need more funding from Congress.

Unless, of course, they are merely political pawns in their sick game of political chess.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join