It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexpected massive eruption from Russian Volcano Raikoke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

It has been awhile since we’ve had an unexpected eruption, but last night Raikoke in the Kuril Islands off Russia had an impressive explosion. Most people (and volcanologists) are likely unfamiliar with this remote volcano and rightly so — only ~140 people live within 100 kilometers and the last known eruption was in 1924. However, the last two eruptions (1924 and 1778) were both VEI 4 events.

Big Blast from Russian Volcano Raikoke

An ash cloud advisory for aircraft has been issued due to the drifting cloud. The activity of the volcano has settled down, but it is unsure if this is an end to the eruption or just a pause. Volcanic Cloud Imagery shows the plume from the volcano.

The Spaceweather.com gallery has satellite imagery from the Japanese geostationary satellite Himawari-8. It shows that the plume spun into a low pressure whirlpool off Aleutian.

ETA-

Here's a picture from the ground of the volcano. This image was taken sometime before the volcano erupted.

Raikoke Island, seen here from the SE, lies 50 km SW of Shiashkotan Island and 16 km across the Golovnin Strait to the NE of its closest neighboring volcano on Matua Island. The summit of the low, 551-m-high Raikoke contains a steep-walled crater, 700 m wide and 200 m deep, that is highest on the SE side.

Raikoke volcano, Russia

edit on 23-6-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I had to put the location in greater context for myself so I looked it up...

The island is part of the Ring of Fire in the western Pacific, due west of the USA, due north of Japan, and south of the Russian mainland.

Just thought I'd share for those also needing a bigger picture.

Thanks for the OP!

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

To a layperson it seems like we are having a a plate activity the last few years. ( earthquakes, volcanic, shifts etc) Is this better reporting, more accurate equipment, some random or cyclical activity etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Jackfish28

Magnetic poles are shifting as we read this thread.

Huge changes IMO are because of the Magnetic pole. Because of that things like Magma deep underground or Water molecules in gas form high above the Earth will have different patterns.

top topics

join