It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being gay, theistic and moderate means you're nobodies friend.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So just been banned from the forum I posted on for 10 plus years, up until this month with nary more than an occasional warning off the mods. Usually this was due to some heated debates with atheists/antitheists. There's a strong atheist presence there and some more passionate about it than others. Nevertheless I was involved in a number of threads over time and felt I contributed a moderate, fair minded opinion – I believe in a secular democracy with the freedom to believe as you will without unduly being favoured or discriminated against. Because of this I got called equator man by the more strident anti-theists aboard. Although it was meant as an insult I took it as a compliment.

Then I made the mistake of joining in on a thread about LGBT issues. Again as with atheists there is a heavy LGBT presence on the forum but I wasn't expecting the harassment I got for not fully agreeing with the consensus view. After being pathologised as a self hating fascist queer I was followed around the board being baited and trolled by a number of posters. When I gave my opinion that moderate people of either persuasion could come together to reach understandings and posted an article from a gay man saying the same thing, I got banned for ' making homophobia acceptable. Within days of the ban being lifted a number of posters popped up in threads I was in baiting and goading me. Stupidly I responded and am now banned again – possibly permanently.

Since then I've found out that there are a number of LGBT posters there notorious for shutting down discussions and getting members banned if they don't go along with their way of thinking. Which seems to be a heirarchy of oppression and a narrative of a society that is riddled with homophobia. They also seem to have the ear of, or actually are mods. The banning process is completely trivial and shallow in it's justification. It probably didn't help that I messaged moderation and told them exactly what I think.

This pisses me off. As a gay man I get disheartened that the very people who rant about small minded, petty fascists with inflexible viewpoints portray exactly the same intolerance and bloody mindedness. Likewise the atheists who decry the corrosive effect of belief who seek to see religious belief suppressed and who regard the scientific doctrine of materialism as scripture. It's the same shyte just rebranded, prejudice turned on it's head not equality.

Does anyone ever approach these subjects with the aim to be non partisan, looking for the solution rather than being part of the problem.

Just a rant. In the appropriate forum.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The free and open options of others is not tolerated anymore. Any differing opinions will be struck down. The Borg has spoken!!

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: fastzombie

Censorship is the tool of cowards.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

You’re better off banned and out of there, to many circle jerks and keyboard warriors these days. This site can seem quite bigoted too but generally people will debate civilly or agree to disagree. Trolls lurk all over the net though.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It also applies to that which must not be named '___'

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

If it's any consolation, you are not the only one from the LGB community to come up against the Trans Taliban. It's why I make such an effort to distinguish Trans Activists from the greater LGB communities. Lesbians have taking the brunt of Trans Activists abuse for some time now... such as the "cotton ceiling" and the dreaded "TERF" slur -- almost always invoked with threats of violence (especially sexual violence) from the brave and stunning trans women. Transsexuals and detransitioners have been similarly treated.

Good try. Bummer about the bullying and de-platforming inflicted upon you. I bet you did add much value to the forum.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

To be honest I wasn't even aware of the controversies between trans and LGBT members until very recently,

let alone the labyrinthine terminology around it.

The trans people I have met did not come across like that, it's terrible that it's become so politicised and polarised. I only hope that the moderates come out on top.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The very word "homophobia," which is pretty well accepted as how you describe prejudice against gays, is a well-crafted lie all by itself. "Phobia" is "fear" so a "homophobe" is "fearful" of the homosexual. What nonsense! How about if you simply do not like it? How about if you oppose it on religious grounds? How about if you think acceptance of LGBTQ+ and all variations is being crammed down our throats by an ad agency? How about if you "believe" gender is based on DNA instead of someone's "feelings."

We've gone from ostracizing gay people to ostracizing anyone who is not, plus adding these variations that allow some guy to cut off his maleness (or not as most "T"'s do not), call himself a woman, and compete in women's sports and beat the crap out of the field--because of his DNA, not his "feelings." Now any pre-pubescent who says, "I wanna be a girl" is shunted toward hormone therapy to prevent his natural maturation in preparation for a life-changing decision before he is legally an adult. Now THAT is child abuse.

There are people who think this behavior is nuts, who think this behavior represents a breakdown of society, and they are not all fundamentalist Christians or Muslims. But arguing with someone who wholeheartedly buys into the LGBTQ+ agenda is like arguing with a Flat Earther. They'll even bring "science" into the equation and point out intersex births. "Intersex" births are a child born with both sex organs and occur about 1 in 2,000 births. That is decidedly nor normal and certainly does not justify the harm done to children. It's like a two-headed snake. Do they exist in nature? Sure. Are they normal? Not at all.

Quite frankly I am sick and tired of being labeled a "homophobe" or a "hater" because I simply disagree with the overall path I see the LGBTQ+ movement taking, particularly with its abuse of children. If you want to be gay I have no problem with your individual choice, but don't ask me to "celebrate" by co-opting the rainbow and gay pride parades. You're really not that special. And to give these guys a month of gay pride and our veterans a single day is a travesty. People pushing this nonsense ought to be ashamed.

Now let's just see how tolerant this group is of other points of view.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: fastzombie
a reply to: Boadicea

To be honest I wasn't even aware of the controversies between trans and LGBT members until very recently,

let alone the labyrinthine terminology around it.

I think the same is true for many/most of us. Especially with the linguistic acrobatics. When people don't know and understand that /your/our definitions are not their definitions, it's real easy to talk past each other and not even realize it.

The trans people I have met did not come across like that, it's terrible that it's become so politicised and polarised.

From everything I've read and heard, it seems there are two distinct subgroups under the transgender umbrella: The truly gender dysphoric, usually homosexual, often post-surgery (transsexuals) who just want to live and let live and get on with their lives... and the gender euphoric, usually heterosexual, often refusing "bottom" surgery, who are running the Trans Activism. It sounds like you know the former group.

I only hope that the moderates come out on top.

You and me both!

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Hate to say so but as a polyglot, linguist, Bible freak, and more and being fluent in Greek although for the oldest books no I do not know ancient Hebrew but Greek was the first language it was translated to so you get a very different book and one straight from the original ancient texts for the oldest books and the unaltered book itself for the newer ones...the Bible says nothing negativeabout homosexuality in fact, I would argue that the only time it really does mention it that God couldn't be more supportive of it. I know you wll want to come back a cite the typical verses but unfortunately, they realy just aren't in the original texts. Plus it goes against everything Christianity teaches. Why the hell ould Jesus say his most belved people are the afflicted, those suffering, lepers, my God whores... hE even adores whores...but then say, "oh but those homos..... puhleez. Nah uh!"

Those verses come from what would be a rather silly or comical origin if it werent for the fact they are being weaponi weaponizedby this generation as MaNy other verses were to achieve other means in th past and thse aren even real
edit on 6/23/2019 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   
###
Being gay, theistic and moderate means you're nobodies friend.
###

You seem to surround yourself with the wrong people/friends.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Lol, I was being kind of ironic or whimsical or something.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

If there's any truth to the bible, particularly the NT, the one take home message is being non judgemental. Whatever you think of another that issue is between God and that person, not for you to take action in his name.

Leave it to God. he will have more insight, understanding and willingness to forgive - if your sexuality iseven something to forgive in the first place.

One of the reasons Christ was so cool.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   

It will even out eventually. People lack the ability to step outside of their biological timescale.

We are not very far removed from a time when being gay and out was dangerous on many levels from career, parish, or safety. It takes a few generations (and the older ones passing on) to show where we will even out.

Same with racism. People want to get over it but we have many people still alive who were segregated.

Those who want more radical policy changes and those who want everyone to just get over it don't have the ability to examine things in scale with history rather than ones own lifetime.

We still live in a time religious schools ban gay couples or teachers. The focus on this is ridiculous and based in bigotry not the bible.

How many teachers get banned for living with their unmarried hetero partner, being divorced, cheating, being an atheist etc..no reason to focus on gays unless it has nothing to do with the bible (which of coarse it does not).
edit on 24-6-2019 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Yes you will have your extremists on both sides. Who knows maybe that's part of the ying yang process that ensures we get to a moderate standpoint.

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it...Solomon wanted to kiss a servant in the first line in his Disney like song, while Judas kissed Jesus, but told everyone.

There one thing Mohammed did to his nephew in the hadith which is eye witness written accounts, but I think we are way past that distinction...unlike the Vatican.
edit on 1-7-2019 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Welcome to the no friends club I am not just the President, I am also a Member.

top topics

join