It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Independence class ship photos in Seattle undergoing maintenance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello everyone!

So I was on vacation in Seattle for the first time. Doing the whole touristy thing. When I came across this ship while doing the harbor sight seeing cruise. I don't know which Independence class ship it is. There is no name or vessel marking that I could see. But I got some great shots of it in dry dock.

I hope everyone enjoys.

edit on 22-6-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Cool pics thanks!

From this link it's probably the USS Coronado. It went into dry dock in January .

I said probably LOL

BTW

Did you notice the guy with the rifle staring directly at you when you took the picture ?

That's a little unnerving way to stick in there .

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   
In pic 3, that dude is definitely making eye contact. Did you notice a red dot lense flare at any time?

Edit: Dang it! One comment and I got beat on the draw.
edit on 22-6-2019 by TexasTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

It is probably the highlight of the guys day to stare out at the tourists. To be pulling guard duty like that is a # detail.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:58 PM
link   

That's curious. Says that the Coronado would be at their Portland dry dock. But they may have moved it for some reason or another.

And the guard up there was probably just looking at the several hundred of us on the harbor tour looking at him and taking pictures.

Here's the ship we were on.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Yup, Coronado was in Portland.

Thanks for making me try harder . ( been kind a lazy today )

It was the USS Manchester and it entered drydock in April .

No probably this time.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Good job catching that.

Here's a news article about it being there.

The US Navy's newest littoral combat ship, the Independence variant USS Manchester (LCS 14), came to Seattle on Sunday March 31.

Manchester is the 12th LCS to enter the fleet and the ninth to be homeported in San Diego.

LCSs are high speed, agile, shallow draft, mission-focused surface combatants designed for operations in the littoral environment, yet fully capable of open ocean operations. As part of the surface fleet, LCSs have the ability to counter and outpace evolving threats independently or within a network of surface combatants. Paired with advanced sonar and mine hunting capabilities, LCSs provide a major contribution, as well as a more diverse set of options to commanders, across the spectrum of operations.

It's appearance here is likely for maintenance though the exact reasons were not disclosed.

USS Manchester

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

to stare out at the tourists.

That can rife with peril .

When I’m in Florida we sit at a beach bar then rate the sunburn shades from 1 to 10 on the Yankees .

But there’s a bad side to it .

Have you ever seen a 250 pound German guy in speedo‘s ?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I’d venture to say that’s a Nimitz class. Unless I’m mistaken, I don’t believe the independence class has been used since the 1970s.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: scolai

That's an LCS. The first one was the Independence. You were thinking of the aircraft carrier.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have some pics of the USS Independence from when I flew off her at PNSY

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Definitely not an aircraft carrier in the sense that you are thinking.

The Independence class is a class of littoral combat ships built for the United States Navy.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 23-6-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-6-2019 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...(LCS-2) this is what he took a photo of

en.wikipedia.org... this is the class you were thinking of every now and then we re use class names (6 times have we named a class of ship after the concept of independence ) nimitz class would make this look like a toy in comparison 418 feet for the new independence class and 1000+ feet for a nimitz (old independence class carriers were 600ish feet)

en.wikipedia.org...(LCS-14) think this is the one the op saw

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I was with Air Wing 6 when she went into the yard. We ended up with the Forrestal.

LCS = Little Crappy Ship.
edit on 24-6-2019 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join