It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush policy shift: Incentives for Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
President Bush is considering economic incentives to coax the Iranians from their nuclear ambitions. The incentives would work in tandem with European diplomatic efforts to stop the Iranians from pursuing their nuclear program. The incentives include WTO accession and the purchasing of civilian aeroplane parts.

news.yahoo.com
Bush aims to gain more than he gives with this policy shift, which appears narrowly targeted and emphasizes pragmatic politics over ideology. It would open the door to Iran beginning World Trade Organization accession talks and purchasing civilian airplane spare parts.

The U.S. shift would be a "small change that is part of a much broader strategy and the strategy is to work with the Europeans to get Iran to very clearly fish or cut bait" in negotiations, a senior U.S. official told Reuters.

Added a senior congressional aide: "We went along (with incentives) because at some point you have to convince the Europeans their approach is going to fail. You go along with it and at some point you say, 'we tried and as you can see it doesn't work very well."'

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Regardless of my opinion on the morality of the Bush Administration, they know how to get what they want. They dont want the Iranians to get a nuclear program and this carrot and stick tactic has more legs than the stick alone.

Depending on how the Mullahs want to work the situation we could see the situation go either way. I personally think the Iranians would like a thawing of their economy.

[edit on 3/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Depending on how the Mullahs want to work the situation we could see the situation go either way.

I think it is quite apparent what the Mullahs want:
Iran blocks UN nuclear inspections
Iran Must Come Clean On Nuclear Questions: El Baradei
Diplomats: Iran Building Nuclear Storage
Iran is said to build atom storage tunnels

In short, incentives will do nothing to deter Iran from its ultimate goal. Why else are they building tunnels up to a 1/2 mile deep to house and store this equipment? Why are the making sure that they can not be reached or damaged by US or anyone else's 'bunker-busting' earth pentrating JDAM's and like munitions?

I wonder if the Mullahs have thought about building like structures to house their collective behinds?

seekerof

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
poor iran.all they want is good electircal power to give them better power and they get blasted for being a bad guy.i say boooo

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think this is more a sign of Bush recognizing that he can't use the military option against Iran for a while because of the fact that the military is already stretched thin personnel wise, the public has little stomach for another conflict that will kill more American soldiers and the U.S. is already on pretty thin ice with some nations because of their actions and could start actively supporting insurgents if the U.S. went a. with this.

In short the only reason the carrot is out is because the stick is smaller then it was not long ago.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Seekerof there were no economic incentives on the table when those links were written. Im not saying its necessarily going to end up any other way but there is a chance.

top topics

join