It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Location of US carriers - How accurate do you think this is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   
A search on Google for the location of US aircraft carriers undoubtedly brings up several results. However, how accurate do you think the info on USNI news is?

Fleet tracker - Weekly location of US aircraft carriers

news.usni.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: June 17, 2019
June 17, 2019 12:40 PM
These are the approximate positions of the U.S. Navy’s deployed carrier strike groups and amphibious ready groups throughout the world as of June 17, 2019, based on Navy and public data. In cases where a CSG or ARG is conducting disaggregated operations, the chart reflects the location of the capital ship.

edit on 22-6-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

It's probably fairly accurate, as far as general locale, within a few hundred miles.

Most 1st world, and virtually all western countries with a military of any considerable strength have satalites that can pinpoint a carriers location in real time, so what would be the point in obsfucation?
edit on 6222019 by Mach2 because: Sp

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

There are several sites that you can find general locations on the carriers. They generally give a vague location like 7th Fleet AOR, or don't bother updating it if they don't want it known.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It's accurate.

Unless a ship is in the middle of the Atlantic, most foreign countries know well in advance if a navy ship is near by. From replenishment at sea to refueling or making port after being underway for a while, the locals knew our schedules better than we did sometimes (5th fleet at least)
edit on 22-6-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
You can't hide a carrier, so why try? You can hide its capabilities, such as its top speed, so its time to target may be a lot faster than some realize. To some extent, knowing where a carrier strike group is is part of the game. Further, because of some very sophisticated electronic equipment, you can make a whole fleet of ships appear where they are not. Deception is also part of the game.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well, the map only shows seven, I thought we had ten or eleven of the big ones plus many smaller ones that could launch planes. So, not very accurate.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Why show carriers that aren't deployed? One is in RCOH, so isn't going anywhere for a couple more years. One, I believe, is in PIA so is at least several months from being deployable.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Why show carriers that aren't deployed? One is in RCOH, so isn't going anywhere for a couple more years. One, I believe, is in PIA so is at least several months from being deployable.

What did they do with the old Decommissioned carriers?

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   

The CVs are either turned into museums or cut into scrap. They are still figuring out how to get rid of the only CVN that's been decommissioned. A couple of the CVs were sunk for tests.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, the map only shows seven, I thought we had ten or eleven of the big ones plus many smaller ones that could launch planes. So, not very accurate.

We do, but they don't deploy all at once. In fact, 7 deployed all at once is rather unusual.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The last time I looked in detail four were deployed off the coasts doing post maintenance workups.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Thanks for posting, S&F for you. This is pretty neat.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

If we all pool our money maybe we can buy one?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

If we all pool our money maybe we can buy one?

You don't need much money to buy one. The last one went for $1.00. FOB

new topics

top topics

join