It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

June Bugs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Has anyone seen any June Bugs this year?

I'm in Illinois, about 50 miles southwest of Chicago. It's 3 weeks into June and I haven't seen a single one. They usually show up in late May.

Conspiracy?

The Great June Bug Disappearance?

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Had some here in May. Texas. Grasshoppers now.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I have seen a few in the past two weeks. I'm up just north and west of Chicago. I think all the rain has been to blame for their low numbers. How about lightningg bugs? I have yet to see their glow!
edit on 6/21/2019 by americanbuffalo1 because: spelling error

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Have a few in Indy but not a bunch. Lightening bugs are in full force.

Late last summer we noticed what looked like sowbugs (rolly pollies) with thier rear end glowing like lightening bugs- wingless. Not sure what those are.
edit on 09/12/2017 by montybd because: added additional info.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I've seen some throughout June in Nebraska. I saw a few last night. There are definitely less than usual though.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Saw them in may at about the usual time. Still seeing them in june.
Havent though seen any lightning bugs yet. Should be soon though, unless all this rain is affecting them.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

We had a lightning bug in the house last week. Have not seen any June bugs or lady bugs yet.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Yes, they are vacationing in Palm Springs.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Saw lightning bugs out last night. No June bugs yet.

I think it's been too wet and cool for them.

No cicadas yet either, but they're more of a July/August thing.

Keep in mind that we still haven't hit 90 degrees yet. Sometimes, heat is a trigger for these things.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Same here. Haven't seen but a handful. The gnats are out in force though.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I've been looking around online. It is possible that with all the rain we've had, the grubs that would have become adult June bugs this year may have drowned in the over saturated ground. It happens with the larvae of some other pests, so it may also happen with June bugs. They should be emerging right about now and starting to become prevalent, but if the flooding and super-saturation drowned a lot of the grubs out, this might be a down year.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
We get June bugs, there's been loads on the hedge out front the first two years we've been living this house, but I've only seen one this year,

I think it's still behind the old biscuit tin on top of the kitchen cupboard, lol

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm just outside Austin, Texas and only saw one June bug this year. My yard is organic so it's not due to treatments so I'm thinking the late hard freeze we had this year might have gotten the larvae in the soil. Also that was followed with a lot of rain. It's nice to have a break from them, their grubs can really mess up lawns and my garden. Maybe it'll be a light year for them next year too after being decimated this year, yay! I also noticed we didn't have many stink bugs this year.

I hope this conspiracy continues, I love it!

Note: A big time organic gardener I know swears by turning your vegetable garden soil before any hard freezes to kill most garden pests, they're mostly in the soil.

STM
edit on 22-6-2019 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I guess I should mention that I have seen one drowned in my patio pond, so they are around. There just don't seem to be very many this year. I'd guess the late, hard winter (it's still snowing in Colorado) and all the rain may be doing a number on a lot of pests.

top topics

join