It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychology Today: People Refusing To Date Transgenders Is ‘Dehumanizing’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

For realz

Good lawd the insanity

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

For realz

Good lawd the insanity

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
What I find to be dehumanizing is all these labels put on members of the human race. Regardless of your race, gender, sexual preference, or whatever, you are genetically human. But these labels try to characterize people into separate groups like transsexual, bisexual, cisgender, transvestite, gay, etc., effectively creating groups akin to other species.

This system of classification divides humanity into groups and yet when you accept these divisions, you are not treating all people as a single group (ie. the human race). Ultimately you are made to accept people for their gender identity and sexual preference but are chastised for having a straight identity and preference. What this amounts to is that it's mandatory to accept transsexuals and personal gender identity, but not OK to have a preference for your own natural gender as this "sin" makes you a "bigot" because you make the distinction beyond just being human. This only makes sense if you want to dehumanize and denounce straight people IMO, otherwise this makes no real sense at all.
edit on 21-6-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This whole damned issue can and should lay on the shoulders of Psychologists/Doctors who either decide that affirming delusion somehow cures it, or take surgical instruments to human genitalia.

In a few hundred years this very era will be read of by future historians as an age of sheer insanity.

Assuming, of course, anyone is still able to read.
edit on 21-6-2019 by Maverick1 because: typo

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
a reply to: ghaleon12
No, the abstract from the study itself is "problematic"
journals.sagepub.com...

However, even among those willing to date trans persons, a pattern of masculine privileging and transfeminine exclusion appeared, such that participants were disproportionately willing to date trans men, but not trans women, even if doing so was counter to their self-identified sexual and gender identity (e.g., a lesbian dating a trans man but not a trans woman). The results are discussed within the context of the implications for trans persons seeking romantic relationships and the pervasiveness of cisgenderism and transmisogyny.

always going on about their soggy knees. I tell you what.

"The results are discussed within the context of the implications for trans persons"

For trans people. Monitoring and studying this isn't about forcing or even encouraging change, trans people have personal health just like anyone else.

It's scientific lliteracy, bias and spin.

You're reading what you want to, not what it is.

The very first paragraph of the daily article is spin, but how many are going to care to really read?

"Fake news"

edit on 21-6-2019 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:46 AM
link   

So you read the abstract only, and then formed conclusions of everything else in the article, and then have the nerve to discuss scientific illiteracy?

A minority of individuals mentioned a desire to only date people with whom they could have biologically related children, however, often these reasons were still expressed using dehumanizing language, such as saying that a trans man 'was not a natural man" or a 'real man' and that therefore it would not be possible to have children with him

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Many of you are debating on a spun article, that doesn't have a basis in reality.

If the thread was solely sourcing the study, many would have no problem about it but once you're told how to think, then you're up in arms.

It should be obvious that between the actual study, and a click bait article, that there is beyond a heavy bias involved.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Firstly, I find it amusing that when I look at the author of this research, Karen Blair, she's an assistant professor at St Francis Xavier University. I'm sure that xhe is fine spending xer time there.

Secondly, I notice two things (coming from a research background myself). One is that she's only used five references, which is a paltry amount. But more importantly, what do you notice about the sources:

Blair, K. L., & Hoskin, R. A. (2019). Transgender exclusion from the world of dating: Patterns of acceptance and rejection of hypothetical trans dating partners as a function of sexual and gender identity. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 36(7), 2074-2095.

McDermott, D. T., Brooks, A. S., Rohleder, P., Blair, K., Hoskin, R. A., & McDonagh, L. K. (2018). Ameliorating transnegativity: Assessing the immediate and extended efficacy of a pedagogic prejudice reduction intervention. Psychology & Sexuality, 9(1), 69-85.

Holt‐Lunstad, J., & Smith, T. B. (2012). Social relationships and mortality. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 6(1), 41-53.

Diamond, L.M. & Blair, K.L. (2019). The Intimate Relationships of Sexual and Gender Minorities, in Anita L. Vangelisti & Daniel Pearlman (Eds.) The Cambridge Handbook of Personal Relationships, pp. 199-210, Cambridge University Press, DOI: doi.org...

Dargie, E., Blair, K. L., Pukall, C. F., & Coyle, S. M. (2014). Somewhere under the rainbow: Exploring the identities and experiences of trans persons. The Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality, 23(2), 60-74.

She's only used five sources for this piece, four of which were written by her. It's a pretty easy thing to write a compelling study when nearly everything you've referenced is something you've written yourself. It certainly does nothing for the validity of what she's claiming. It's no wonder this progressive mindset is spinning out of control. It's self-perpetuating.
edit on 21-6-2019 by Rewey because: spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

So you read the abstract only, and then formed conclusions of everything else in the article, and then have the nerve to discuss scientific illiteracy?

A minority of individuals mentioned a desire to only date people with whom they could have biologically related children, however, often these reasons were still expressed using dehumanizing language, such as saying that a trans man 'was not a natural man" or a 'real man' and that therefore it would not be possible to have children with him

I read it all. Unlike 95% of posters.

The article doesn't represent the study, so it can't be more simple than that.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
Dating is about the connection between two individuals.

No, that's called "friendship". Dating is when you want that connection but are also attracted to the person and wish to be more intimate physically. One of the key components of that, though, is the physical attraction.

originally posted by: continuousThunder
it's like saying you wouldn't date an asian, or a blonde. There are a LOT of people in those subsets and they're all extremely different and going "nah blondes don't do it for me" is extremely reductionist and rude.

No, what I consider rude is telling someone their personal preferences are wrong. I'm a hispanic male and for the most part I'm open to date anyone, but there are certain types of people I'm more attracted to than others. If there were two girls I was interested in and felt the same connection with, let's say your examples of asian and blonde, I would probably focus more on getting to know the asian. If the connection is the same then one goes towards what they're more attracted to. That's nature.

Telling me I'm wrong for having personal preferences is what's "reductionist and rude".

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Not exactly.

Let's review what dehumanisation actually means, literally not figuratively as it has been used post obuma. Dehumanizing describes the denial of “ humanness”.

It's that simple.

It was originally used during times of war to make the enemy seem less human, making it easier to justify killing them.

However I n today's context, it seems they want to imply that people with gender disphoria are being treated less than human, when in fact they are being treated with kid gloves.

To be honest, to lie about ones born gender to date someone of the same gender, while pretending to be the opposite gender, is more Dehumanizing to the straight people than the trans.

Trans people want to be treated normal, try not acting like your special.

People are still people no matter what gender they are versus pretend to be.

In essence, the word Dehumanizing has been hijacked and misused to shame people who don't need to be shamed.

So stop throwing shade on straight people, gay people and the people who don't know what kind of people they are.

It's just another ploy to cause division where it doesn't really exist until it's instigated.

The population thats actually trans is such a minority that unless the msm and others mentioned it, no one would give it a second thought.

Just because people don't want to date people of the same gender, who pretend to be the opposite gender, don't make bigots or anything else.

It makes them who they are, which isn't gay.
It's alright to be straight, gay or bi, just keep it in the bedroom. Individuals sexuality is not an important aspect of day to day life.

What one person does in their bedroom don't effect the person outside of it. Let it go and stop falling for these social division schemes.

That exactly what it is.
edit on 21-6-2019 by ADVISOR because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I just quoted the actual study.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I also noted the following flaw in this limitation (politely described in research as a ‘limitation of the study’):

In addition to simply looking at the overall percentages of how many people included or excluded trans persons from their hypothetical dating pool, we also examined the demographics of those who were inclusive. For example, while only a very small minority of cisgender, heterosexual individuals (3.1%) were willing to date a trans person, a much greater percentage of individuals who identified as bisexual or queer provided inclusive responses (55%).

First, we aren’t told the responses from trans respondents. Unless 100% of trans people would choose to date every option on the list, does that not suggest there are just as many bigoted trans people as there are non-trans people?

Secondly, the composition of the respondents is not given, which means there is no way of knowing whether it is a decent pool size, and whether the results are as comparable as she suggests. By this I mean if there were 355 straight people questioned and only 11 said they would date a trans person, that would give the 3.1% response she mentions. But you could ask only 20 queer people and 11 said they would date a trans person also gives the 55%. Even though the same number of people responded the same way in this example (11), a sample of 20 people is not sufficient, and it’s certainly not a direct comparison to a sample size of 355.

So, what were the responses of trans people? Or were they not even asked?

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Lastly, I would also like to see the results for how many straight men did not select to date another straight man, and how many straight women did not select to date another straight woman.

Because I guarantee that this would be 100% for each. Why is this not highlighted as dehumanising?

The simple answer is because most people would identify with this response and see it as common sense, which means it detracts from the actual agenda of the 'study', because once common sense enters the reader's mind, this whole argument falls apart.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Just as sociologists have tracked acceptance of inter-racial relationships as a metric of overall societal acceptance of racial minorities, future fluctuations in the extent to which trans and non-binary individuals are included within the intimate world of dating may help to illuminate progress (or lack thereof) with respect to fully including trans and non-binary individuals within our society

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Minorities, be it racial or whatever, deserve like any one else to have their health matter and warrant study. So there was a study done.

It's like taking a study on native American disease rates as something having to do with white guilt, which would be ridiculous. Then what, the health of native americans can never be studied because it'll get made into something about white people?

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Who participated in the study?

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

WTF?

These die hard libtards are going to try forcing heterosexual people to date those in the LGBT community??

Dumbest thing I ever heard.

Here's a good question for those who support the LGBTQ community:

Why don't they just shut up and go back to where they were 10 years ago and stop trying to push their BS onto the rest of us?

I think we should send that community of people off to Mars as the first explorer's, lets see how long they will last.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Wow more New World Order Satanic Publications.

Why is it they constantly want to shove it up our ass? Most females DO NOT like it up their arse either. It could simply be a front versus back door preference. I mean even Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper DON'T care for a transgender wife nor do most of the famous gay men throughout history. They like, well, other guys and that's all she wrote!
edit on 21-6-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join