It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychology Today: People Refusing To Date Transgenders Is ‘Dehumanizing’

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They feel dehumanized because its a mental disorder. The rest of us deal with rejection all of the time. Especially in the dating world. Yet these people undergo the same rejection and feel that people don't view them as human? Oh we all know you're human. We just don't find what you're doing, attractive.
edit on 23-6-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: InTheLight

a reply to: InTheLight

So in order to treat someone with respect and dignity, I now have to have sex with them?!

What the...?

If you don't know how to treat someone with respect and dignity then I can't help you.

This whole thread is about how if I refuse to date a transgender person, I am dehumanizing them. Essentially, if I am not attracted to or want to have sex with transgender people, I am not treating them with respect and dignity because I am dehumanizing them. You cannot treat someone you just dehumanized with respect and dignity.

Get it?

Are you not able to refuse anybody who asks for a date now with dignity and respect?

According to these psychologists, it isn't about how nicely I turn them down. It's about turning them down at all. They feel dehumanized by being turned down. I can't turn them down with any degree of dignity and respect or else I dehumanize them. Ergo, I must date them/have sex with them in order to meet your standards.

Bull, trans people know very well that heterosexuals programmed into sexualized roles will not date them, as evidenced and corroborated in the study. The dehumanization came from the LGBTQ respondents who rejected them in what can only be described as new forms of discrimination within that community. Go back and re-read the study, you have it all wrong.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It's not discrimination, it's attraction. L's are attracted to the female form and likely most of those gender stereotypes. G's are attracted to the male form and most likely most of those gender stereotypes. So you bring in a male/female form dressed up as a female/male form attempting to live up to those gender stereotypes and you've pretty well alienated both the L's and the G's. This isn't rocket science. Hell, it's not even science. It's attraction.
edit on 23-6-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

No less operative as considered to be a disorder

edit on 23-6-2019 by fastzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: fastzombie

True. In other words, their changing what they consider to be a disorder doesn't change the fact that it is a disorder.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Or change that they may have been wrong it's a disorder. History might end up being the arbiter of what it is or isn't but for now it isn't. Thank God.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Bull, trans people know very well that heterosexuals programmed into sexualized

"programmed"?

You guys are absolutely whackadoo

You do know people can have a sexual preference right?

Were attracted to who were attracted to, doesnt have anything to do with programming..........

If that were the case does that mean that gay people are "programmed" to like their own sex?

You guys really need to decide which hill to die on because youre making yourself look foolish waffling back and forth......you cant have it both ways, either people are born one way or they arent......

Freaking clown world...........
edit on 6/23/2019 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   

but for now it isn't. Thank God.

Why are you thanking god for what a body of psuedoscientists have decreed? Seems pretty backwards as they don't really believe in god anyway. But that's not even my main concern with this outlook. What I want to know is why it means so much to you that a group of randos don't consider something a disorder?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Bull, trans people know very well that heterosexuals programmed into sexualized

"programmed"?

You guys are absolutely whackadoo

You do know people can have a sexual preference right?

Were attracted to who were attracted to, doesnt have anything to do with programming..........

If that were the case does that mean that gay people are "programmed" to like their own sex?

You guys really need to decide which hill to die on because youre making yourself look foolish waffling back and forth......you cant have it both ways, either people are born one way or they arent......

Freaking clown world...........

And freaking clown post from you...it has nothing to do with attraction in this study because the respondents were not in front of the person to whom the dating question referred to. Even if they were and they were attracted to the transgender person, what the study outlines is that the lack of understanding and fear clicks in.

"The most common reason for being unwilling to consider dating transgender or non-binary people was that participants felt that they lacked information and understanding of what precisely these kinds of identities mean within the context of dating," the authors continue. "For example, many simply stated that they had never really considered the question before and were unsure of what it would mean to be in a relationship with a transgender or non-binary individual. Other reasons, however, were less about lacking information, and more about a strong dislike for trans people."

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Well being one of them I don't consider it a disorder. I don't consider it a choice I can switch between either.

Words like disorder come front loaded with assumptions and agenda's. Few of which I suspect work out well for the likes of me. So if there's enough self interest from parties who'd like to see gay people pathologised and treated as
sick, I have no problem exercising my self interest and looking at that attitude as archaic and redundant.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Well being one of them I don't consider it a disorder. I don't consider it a choice I can switch between either.

You don't consider it a disorder (defined as confusion) that your DNA says you're one gender, that the formation of your body and mind was driven in large part by that gender specific DNA which formed those organs accordingly, yet you 'feel' like you're the opposite gender? Myself, I think that's just asinine in and of itself, how could a man ever know what it's like to feel like a woman, and vice versa? No human has ever felt what it is like to be both a man and a woman and therefore it is impossible for a person to know they feel like the other one, is it not?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Any beautiful woman that turns me down for a date is a bigot.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Why would homosexuals want to date them?

Homosexuality is all about dating people of the same sex, as in, attracted to people of the same biological sex, *not* the same gender.

You're the one who seems confused by this. A lesbian wants to sleep with other women, not other men who think they're women. A gay man wants to sleep with other biological men, not other women who think they're men. My understanding is that in the same way I do not find the physical bodies of other women sexually attractive, lebians do not find the physical bodies of men sexually attractive. So why would they find transgenders attractive? It's the physical body they aren't attracted to pretending to be what it's not.
edit on 23-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Not always true. I can give one example at least.
A good friend of mine has a daughter, who identifies as a boy, dresses like a boy since the age of 11-12, has chosen a boys name, gets very upset if called by her given name. Yet has a boyfriend she lives with..it's rather confusing.
edit on 23-6-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

And freaking clown post from you...it has nothing to do with attraction in this study because the respondents were not in front of the person to whom the dating question referred to. Even if they were and they were attracted to the transgender person, what the study outlines is that the lack of understanding and fear clicks in.

You dont get it.. just the idea of someone who has to pretend they r a sex they r not and who mutilate their own sex organs or are prone 2.. is not attractive to most ppl regardless of sexuality, appearance etc. and that doesnt make them bad or mean or fearful or anything.. sorry that's just how it is. Pretending to be something you are not is not "bravely being yourself" as many trans ppl like to pretend.
edit on 23-6-2019 by WalkTheRingsOfSaturn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
There is some truth to that however we are not living in a perfect world. I can afford to love like in the movies but sex and preferences attached to it plays also huge role. Fortunately enough there are people that are into trans/don't mind so to each his own?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Saiker
So, politics is a faith based religion and your ok with me #ucking a goat which doesn’t have a say in the matter? Got it. WTF kind of drugs are you on, do you have anymore and will you front me some?

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
okay, let's take this extremely slowly. let me know if you get lost and need me to explain again.

it is dehumanising to declare that you wouldn't date an entire class of people.
that's a simple fact - you're treating people as an identical mass that you can just cast aside in one go.
that's pretty much the definition of dehumanising there.
Dating is about the connection between two individuals. You meet and you hit it off for various reasons, generally similar interests or views on the world.
it's like saying you wouldn't date an asian, or a blonde. There are a LOT of people in those subsets and they're all extremely different and going "nah blondes don't do it for me" is extremely reductionist and rude.
Only with trans people it's on a whole extra level because there are SO MANY trans people you'd never even know are trans unless they told you. So to just decide that you won't date any of these people, en masse - yeah that's dehumanising in action right there.

But don't worry, you're not being forced to date trans people. trans people already suffer enough in this world.

Lol yea, not only do they have to deal with their mental sickness they also have to deal with a libtard profession that encourages them. No wonder suicide rates are so high.

I wouldn't date a Male or especially a Male wearing female clothes and pretending they have ovaries. No amount of surgery will ever make a Male capable of giving birth.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Is her boyfriend gay? Is she a lesbian?

Maybe they're both bi-sexual and don't care about their partner's plumbing.

I am talking about those who do not find people of the opposing biological sex or same biological sex attractive. You can pretend to be the right "fit" but at the end of the day, you are not. You're playing a game to those people, and they aren't amused when you accuse them of being dehumanizing for not finding you attractive in that way.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   

it has nothing to do with attraction in this study because the respondents were not in front of the person to whom the dating question referred to.

Oh, please...

I don't need to see a man to know I am not attracted to him. It's sorta who I am. And what's with the "programming" thing? You think anyone who disagrees with you is "programmed," but anyone who agrees with you is "being themselves"? How very biased of you...

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join