It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AIM-260

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Lockheed is quietly developing a new VLRAAM to counter the Chinese PL-15 missile. The new missile is scheduled to begin flight tests in 2021, and enter service in 2022. It will have a much longer range than the AIM-120, and be known as the Joint Advanced Tactical Missile. It's being developed in partnership with the Army and Navy. It's designed to be a next generation air dominance weapon.

DAYTON, Ohio—The Air Force is developing a new air-to-air missile, dubbed the AIM-260, that offers longer range than Raytheon’s Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile and would be used to counter the Chinese PL-15 weapon.

Air Force Weapons Program Executive Officer Brig. Gen. Anthony Genatempo told reporters in a June 20 interview here the service is working with Lockheed Martin, the Army, and the Navy to field the Joint Advanced Tactical Missile in 2022. Work began about two years ago.

“It has a range greater than AMRAAM, different capabilities onboard to go after that specific [next generation air-dominance] threat set, but certainly longer legs,” he said. “As I bring up JATM production, AMRAAM production is kind of going to start tailing off.”

www.airforcemag.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I hope it has better terminals than the Phoenix used to.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I don't think it can be much worse.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

i think its cool they are bringing back active defence measures, Miniature Self-Defense Munitions.

reminds me of the XB-70's SAM defence(but not nuclear).

subs are getting new missiles, AF gets new missiles EVERYBODY gets new missiles

cool seeker info

PDF with all sorts of good stuff related to this
edit on 20-6-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It's LREW. It just got a designation (released anyway). It's been quiet, so the timeline is good news.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 02:08 AM
link   
With the adjustments to NGAD this missile may actually not be cancelled for a change.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Pew Pews get the most money

posted on Jul, 1 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
It's LREW.

would have thought so too but

The service has made clear that the AIM-260 program is separate from the still-ongoing Long Range Engagement Weapon (LREW) project, another secretive long-range air-to-air missile development effort.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

I read that earlier! Raises some serious questions about what has gone on at Raytheon with LREW that they got leapfrogged by whatever effort this seeded from. Is this just an interim band-aid while we wait on LREW? Or are they just going to go all out on LREW and let it use the full length of the F-35 (and follow-ons) bay and forget about it squeezing into a Raptor, and use this as a bandaid for the near-future and the F-22, so they can justify a large run?

posted on Jul, 7 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert
LREW basically disappeared.

It was part of PE0604200F Future Advanced Weapon Analysis & Programs and PE0603699D8Z Emerging Capabilities Technology Development:
apps.dtic.mil...
www.saffm.hq.af.mil... Force Research Development Test and Evaluation Vol II FY19 v2.pdf?ver=2018-02-20-125551-480
(just search for LREW)

In 03 2019 its gone for FY2020. Instead PE0604200F is all about ERWn, Extended Range Weapon:
www.saffm.hq.af.mil...

ERWn may be LREW as speculated on secretprojects.uk, but it isnt doing so well either:
www.secretprojects.co.uk...-354023

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Boeing unveiled a two stage LRAAM at the 2021 Air, Space, and Cyber conference.

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Nice...Looks like a thinner version of the AMRAAM

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

it is kind of is its replacement

posted on Sep, 22 2021 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

also can fit inside of bays easily

posted on Oct, 29 2022 @ 11:37 AM