It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Measles, Back in the Days Before the Marketing of the Vaccine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
My (20-something) daughter-in-law is terrified of catching the measles. And my husband and I were rather gauche in that we couldn't help but laugh initially -- mostly because of how she said it -- and then felt terrible about doing so. Her fear is very real, thanks to the massive fear mongering. But probably not warranted, given that she has been vaccinated and is quite healthy.

So we apologized profusely, and told her some facts about measles, which my son was furiously googling as we did so to bring up the data. We told her death and complications were far more likely among malnourished populations. I also showed her the 25,000 IU Vitamin A I keep on hand, which is given to babies and children in mega doses in undeveloped nations to prevent blindness and pneumonia. We promised we'd help take good care of her if that day comes. But what finally made her feel a little better was when I told my son to find the Brady Bunch measles video on YouTube, which displayed the very casual attitude most parents had towards measles back in the day... before Big Pharma started marketing their vaccination... and fear.

Doing some more research this morning, I found this video compilation (via Natural News) of three classic TV shows and how they approached measles; The Brady Bunch episode, plus one from the Donna Reed show, and another from The Flintstones. Obviously, this is not to say that measles cannot and does not have complications for some, but it does demonstrate that complications were not common and measles were not a cause for panic... not until Big Pharma started their fearmongering anyway.

This fearmongering can have its own harmful effects. Imagine a child who has contracted the measles seeing his parents panic and over-react to his condition... even if the child has no sign of complications. That's the last thing a child needs when ill.

The fear mongering reminds me of my parents' generation and older back in the 70s and 80s, who were soooooooo terrified of marijuana... ala "Reefer Madness" fear mongering. And at some point, that's just cruel and sadistic. Especially given that today, even as medical science proves the healing wonders of cannabis, many are still afraid to use medicinal marijuana due to the lies and half-truths told 50 years ago. I saw it with my own mother when she was fighting cancer. I don't know that medical marijuana could have saved her, but it sure could have made her more comfortable.

And if you or your child does contract measles, this is what the Mayo Clinic recommends:

If you or your child has measles, keep in touch with your doctor as you monitor the progress of the disease and watch for complications. Also try these comfort measures:
--Take it easy. Get rest and avoid busy activities.
--Sip something. Drink plenty of water, fruit juice and herbal tea to replace fluids lost by fever and sweating.
--Seek respiratory relief. Use a humidifier to relieve a cough and sore throat.
--Rest your eyes. If you or your child finds bright light bothersome, as do many people with measles, keep the lights low or wear sunglasses. Also avoid reading or watching television if light from a reading lamp or from the television is bothersome.

So by all means, take proper precautions to protect your health and the health of your loved ones. Eat right, keep hydrated, get enough sleep, and so on. But we don't have to live in fear. Sure, one day something will kill us all, but it probably won't be the measles!

And one more thing: Sorry, Marcia... it is what it is.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea
Yes, when I was growing up Measles was just one of "the usual childhood diseases" which everybody went through as a matter of course.
I had nearly all of them myself- Measles, German Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox., possibly Scarlet Fever?.. I think the only one I missed was Whooping Cough.
In fact at one stage there was a fashion, I believe, for holding "German Measles parties" for children. If one child got the disease, others would be invited round on the premise "It would be much more dangerous for them if caught in adulthood- better get it over now and give them immunity".
I did get German measles twice, in a way. There was an epidemic at school. Nobody was taking an empty seat on the bus, because the adjacent child was being sent home with it, so I took it myself- "I'm safe- I've had it already." A few days later, the doctor at my bedside was saying to my mother "It's not German Measles, but it's got the same symptoms, so we're treating it in the same way". Thanks, doc.

edit on 20-6-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   

What is it..like 1 in a 100/200 get paralysis from polio?

Peace

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

which displayed the very casual attitude most parents had towards measles back in the day... before Big Pharma started marketing their vaccination... and fear.

It is not Big Pharma. They are just complicit in the UN's propaganda via WHO

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I had nearly all of them myself- Measles, German Measles, Mumps, Chicken Pox., possibly Scarlet Fever?.. I think the only one I missed was Whooping Cough.

About the same for me. I didn't get German Measles (rubella) or Whooping Cough, but we got all the rest. Six of us. I remember scratching a lot with the chicken pox, and I remember my mom putting blankets around our bunkbeds to keep out the light when we had measles... but I also remember having a blast in our little "fort"!

In fact at one stage there was a fashion, I believe, for holding "German Measles parties" for children.

I clearly remember "chicken pox" parties; but I think you're right that it was done for measles as well. It was considered better to have these diseases as children than as adults. So that was the norm for many.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

What is it..like 1 in a 100/200 get paralysis from polio?

Peace

Um... since this is about measles, I'm not sure why you are referencing polio. However, since your Google seems to be broken, and/or you failed Google 101, this is what I found with a quick search:

Bulbospinal polio, a combination of bulbar and spinal paralysis, accounted for 19% of cases. The death-to-case ratio for paralytic polio is generally 2%–5% among children and up to 15%–30% for adults (depending on age). It increases to 25%–75% with bulbar involvement.

Source: CDC

And the polio vaccine itself can also cause paralysis, though this was more likely with the use of oral polio vaccine once used than with the inactivated polio vaccine now used.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Isn't German Measles the one that is particularly dangerous to pregnant women? I think that was part of the logic.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Excellent point -- thank you!

I hadn't thought about it from that perspective, but I should. At the very least, the WHO has certainly given Big Pharma an ideal platform to spread their lucrative narrative.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Isn't German Measles the one that is particularly dangerous to pregnant women? I think that was part of the logic.

Yes -- in fact, the reason I know I didn't have German measles is because I was tested at 16, and did not have the antibodies, so I was given the vaccination then.

It is also dangerous to the babies, of course, because it can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, birth defects and deformities:

Congenital Rubella Syndrome (CRS)
Congenital rubella syndrome (CRS) is a condition that occurs in a developing baby in the womb whose mother is infected with the rubella virus. Pregnant women who contract rubella are at risk for miscarriage or stillbirth, and their developing babies are at risk for severe birth defects with devastating, lifelong consequences. CRS can affect almost everything in the developing baby’s body.

The most common birth defects from CRS can include:
--Deafness
--Cataracts
--Heart defects
--Intellectual disabilities
--Liver and spleen damage
--Low birth weight
--Skin rash at birth

Less common complications from CRS can include:
--Glaucoma
--Brain damage
--Thyroid and other hormone problems
--Inflammation of the lungs

ETA: Source: CDC

I have always understood German measles to be far more dangerous than simple measles, though I think the two are often confused by the public.
edit on 20-6-2019 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Yeah sorry about that...didn't read the thread correctly and was busy styling my daughters hair. Just a onee-jerk reaction to anti-vaxer I have...

Please ignore my ignorance

Peace

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Yeah sorry about that...didn't read the thread correctly and was busy styling my daughters hair. Just a onee-jerk reaction to anti-vaxer I have...

Please ignore my ignorance

Peace

Ahhhh... gotcha. No worries!

I thought you were making some kind of correlation that was going over my head -- which happens! -- and was frustrated for not seeing it.

But I gotta say I'm just a little envious... I miss being "mommy"

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I think the only one I missed was Whooping Cough.

You probably missed that one because you had been vaccinated against it. The DPT vaccine came out in the 40's and it was a combo Diphtheria, Pertussis (whooping cough), and Tetanus. You probably also got the Smallpox vaccination.

Vaccine History: Developments by Year

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords
Ah- you're probably right. Certainly the implication is that there weren't any epidemics going around. My knowledge of whooping cough, come to think of it, actually derives from the opening line of the book Worzel Gummidge, which was published (I've just checked) in 1936.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Fear releases histamine, histamine can cause the body to over react and cause it to have a cytokine storm. by making people fear the measles, they effectively raise the mortality rate or cause much more serious illnesses because of fear caused over expression of the immune system. The Pharma company is steering reality by promoting fear. I had the measles twice, once the regular measles and once the German Measles. The German Measles were not that bad, I may have had partial immunity from the regular measles, my body may have known better how to handle them.

For some kids with a poor immune system, yes a vaccine is probably necessary. But we all know that Pharma will not settle for less business, they want lots more money. The mumps seemed to be more of a problem, they used to say they could cause a boy to go sterile. I had them pretty bad and I guess that is why I only have two daughters. My assertion is probably as real as the fear mongering of the Big Pharma.

When a person gets old, their immune system does get weaker sometimes and those people might need some vaccines. But if an older person is taking meds that block immunity, the vaccines may not even help much. Stimulating an immune system which has no power with antigens does not work. They are required to mention that in literature for vaccines, but the nurses giving the shots are mute about the whole truth when it comes to seniors.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

I think the only one I missed was Whooping Cough.

You probably missed that one because you had been vaccinated against it. The DPT vaccine came out in the 40's and it was a combo Diphtheria, Pertussis (whooping cough), and Tetanus. You probably also got the Smallpox vaccination.

Vaccine History: Developments by Year

Just because the DTAP was available does not mean your doctor was giving that to you when you cut yourself, most times it was just the Tetnus shot for a cut.

I never had the DTAP till the last time I had a vaccine, I think all of the vaccines I got before that were either just Tetnus or the DT. The last one I got I got pretty sick off of, symptoms like that of the Whooping cough. So I basically had my immune system fire up and give me symptoms, but hardly any fever at all, just that mucus situation that lasted about three weeks. It started about three days after the shot, when I looked it up it said improper immune responses would give the effects I had and usually would start to get bad after about five days or so. It was right on. I asked the doctor and he said it was uncommon but it was probably what happened, he told me to just get the DT next time, they do stock that here because some people cannot take the DTAP. I never put together reactions to things if they did not get too bad, but the flu vaccine really causes a bad cytokine storm in me. Now that I have been studying coincidences, it is really evident that some things are not coincidences.
edit on 20-6-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Fear releases histamine, histamine can cause the body to over react and cause it to have a cytokine storm. by making people fear the measles, they effectively raise the mortality rate or cause much more serious illnesses because of fear caused over expression of the immune system. The Pharma company is steering reality by promoting fear.

Thank you for adding this! It's good to know and understand how our own emotions and fears can and do influence our health.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
oh joy - another thread of the usual anti vaxxer bollox

you want to discuss fear - lets start with why idiots are affraid of vaccines

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I had measles as an infant. The doc said, never ever let this child get a measles vaccination - he could die. Went into the USN and told the shot doc the same, he said, "don't care you are getting it anyway." Obviously I lived.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
oh joy - another thread of the usual anti vaxxer bollox

you want to discuss fear - lets start with why idiots are affraid of vaccines

Awesome! The usual Vax Authoritarianism bollox has been shared!!!

Sure, let's discuss fear... or the exact opposite: As in the very comforting complete absence of fear that comes from true immunity attained only by contracting and healing from measles naturally. As someone with a now-compromised system, if I caught the measles today, it would probably make me very very sick, if not kill me. But I don't have that fear. At all. Not even a smidgen. I have genuine lifelong immunity from the measles and other childhood diseases.

But I won't rub it in....

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I had measles as an infant. The doc said, never ever let this child get a measles vaccination - he could die. Went into the USN and told the shot doc the same, he said, "don't care you are getting it anyway." Obviously I lived.

Interesting... I wonder if it has anything to do with new vaccines being developed. Perhaps the difference between a live vaccine and an inactive vaccine?

Maybe someone knows and will chime in and tell us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join