It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race"

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

ost]

"How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race"

What, the human race?

Interesting how he mentions U.S. Judeo-Christian values.. even though Abraham lore completely condones slavery and was used as justification for it at the time - also thought it was pretty repugnant that he lumped in atheism with racism.

a reply to: Sublimecraft

Some reading this are about the get a much needed history lesson.

Here's another one - when it comes to 'reparations' where does it all start and where does it all end?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: tabularosa
Unfortunately for Owens, Republicans have brought equally as much misery to his race. They are just better at playing the game, of branding themselves as saviors of the people when in fact the party is anything but. It favors the wealthy. Period.

Let's be specific....

As a black man, I can name a ton of things the Democrat party has done that continues to negatively affect the black community.... Here is a short list.

Public schools - trapping blacks in poor performing schools by not allowing school choice
Minimum Wage - making it too expensive to hire low skilled workers, particularly teenagers
Illegal immigration - importing cheap labor that depresses wages of the low skilled of which blacks are disproportionately
Destroying black family - welfare benefits that forced black men out of the home leading to a culture where 75% of kids ar born out of wedlock.

Shall I keep going?

On the other hand, what exactly have Republicans done other than basically ignore blacks which given the above, has been far less harmful imho.

Your turn...

This should be pinned to the top of every page of this thread.

ETA: You can add their anti-gun policy, which tends to make it extremely difficult for low-income people in dangerous neighborhoods to be able to obtain a weapon for personal or home defense. This disproportionately affects blacks as well. Gun control has a long history rooted in racism. Gotta keep them uppity blacks disarmed don't ya know?
edit on 20 6 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

Interesting how he mentions U.S. Judeo-Christian values.. even though Abraham lore completely condones slavery and was used as justification for it at the time

Is there any society that didn't practice slavery in antiquity?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Gotta love the hypocrisy of politics. The Republicans have spent decades talking about how we don't need to pay reparations in this day and age. Meanwhile, many Democrats have been for it.

Now the narrative gets flipped on its head and the positions switch.

This is perfect example of why so many of the Founding Fathers warned against political parties.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A simple question for the proponents of reparations-

If the government cuts you a check, will this issue finally be settled and done? Will we finally be able to put it behind us and move on? If not, then I really can't see any point. If someone is paid for something they have to give something, right?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Gotta love the hypocrisy of politics. The Republicans have spent decades talking about how we don't need to pay reparations in this day and age. Meanwhile, many Democrats have been for it.

Now the narrative gets flipped on its head and the positions switch.

This is perfect example of why so many of the Founding Fathers warned against political parties.

The humorless left, exhibit A.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Public schools - The Republicans have been voting down increased education funding for years. And in terms of "allowing school choice" that's the kind of stuff Secretary of Education DeVos tried in Detroit which screwed over the lower income kids.

Minimum wage: Minimum wage, which was created under Dems, was supposed to be a living wage. If low income black families were making a living wage, would it even matter if kids could get a job?

Illegal Immigration: Let's not forget that the modern wave of immigration ultimately started under Reagan. Who essentially laid the groundwork of DACA.

Family Unit: There's no way this is exclusively a Dem issue. It was Reagan's economic policy that stagnated middle class wages, forcing both parents to work. It was also Reagan's CIA and FBI that ultimately led to the crack epidemic.

But please, tell me how innocent the GOP is in the modern strife of the black community.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

The message you are replying to wasn't written by me, but I'll just point out that on education, voting down additional funding doesn't mean you are against education or anything like that. We already spend the second-most per child on education in the world. Our kids aren't getting the 2nd best education in the world. Money clearly isn't the problem. It's a systemic problem. Throwing more money at it, the typical leftist "solution", doesn't work.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
How about this concept;

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Note the importance of the words used here;

it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another,

Meaning, we as a Nation are not the politics, the party or any aspect of such. We the People, are Americans first and foremost. Right?

We as a Nation, are individuals who self identify as one political affiliation or another perhaps not at all, but as a Country we are not the party, we are the Body.

The finger nail is not the person, it's a single aspect of the whole.

Stop the division, allowing our selves to be polarized by something none of us living today had a damn thing to do with. Is what they want...

America was the second, "second" Country in modern History to outlaw human slavery. It's not even a factor today. Stop already, it's not the 1990s let alone the freaking 1890s ok!

Stop kicking please, that horse is long dead....

Remember what America was, learn from the mistakes and move on, no where on Earth at any time in history didn't use slaves alright, it's not us today stop looking backwards and start looking forward.

Because the powers that be are, don't even doubt it.

While the masses are nitpicking insignificant nothings, it acts as distractions from what they ought to be concerned about. Like tomorrow...

Tomorrow we have another new insignificant regurgitated distraction that has absolutely no bearing on any single persons life what so ever.

None of this political bs is even going to change one individuals day to day life. And it never will.

That's the circus, a perpetual trainwreck freak show, and all the "promised" freebies are the bread.

Bread and circus's people, bread and circus's.

So the decision is yours, either play into their hands and continue being apart of the problem, and stay divided, or be a free person and think, act and live for your self.

Unique people are a treasure, cookie cutter people are all the same. That's what it comes down to, if you're going to label and narrow down the option so can we.

Which is it then, are you from a cookie cutter batch or will you embrace your identity as a unique individual from a single cast mold that was broken?

They broke the mold with me, the world will never see me made by the batch cookie cutter fashion.

I wouldn't trade it for any thing, in the known multiverse. Never.

I'm not asking you or anyone to give up your indoctrination cold turkey. But be reasonable and at at least step back, and look at it from a outside perspective. Are you going to let it define you?

A political side, really? Our lives are not political, and worth so much more than wasting time on it.

Do yourselves a favor, step back, take a deep breath and exhale. Think about what your life is worth, and know your value as a member of the society is more valuable than a counter revolutionary tool.

No body has to believe me, I don't need you to.

It's just words, right.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Gotta agree with you 100%. I don't think there should be a argument for reparations AT ALL. So I don't see why trying to get one party to pay for their perceived fault in this is helpful. Its how things like this turn into a full blow cash grab.

Both parties suck. I had at least hoped Trump might be what gets politicians to actually start doing stuff other than enriching themselves while dividing.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: atlantiswatusi

Gotta agree with you 100%. I don't think there should be a argument for reparations AT ALL. So I don't see why trying to get one party to pay for their perceived fault in this is helpful. Its how things like this turn into a full blow cash grab.

Both parties suck. I had at least hoped Trump might be what gets politicians to actually start doing stuff other than enriching themselves while dividing.

They still don't understand why Trump got elected. They keep running stories about how crass he is and what an asshole and unpresidential, like we don't know that and that's why we voted for him. We knew all that, and we voted for him because that's still better than our average politician. If they ever finally understand that, they might understand it's time to change. I doubt it though.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Public schools - The Republicans have been voting down increased education funding for years. And in terms of "allowing school choice" that's the kind of stuff Secretary of Education DeVos tried in Detroit which screwed over the lower income kids.

Minimum wage: Minimum wage, which was created under Dems, was supposed to be a living wage. If low income black families were making a living wage, would it even matter if kids could get a job?

Illegal Immigration: Let's not forget that the modern wave of immigration ultimately started under Reagan. Who essentially laid the groundwork of DACA.

Family Unit: There's no way this is exclusively a Dem issue. It was Reagan's economic policy that stagnated middle class wages, forcing both parents to work. It was also Reagan's CIA and FBI that ultimately led to the crack epidemic.

But please, tell me how innocent the GOP is in the modern strife of the black community.

Public Schools. Give me a break. Public schools in urban environments are nothing but glorified juvenile detention centers are this point. Democrats run these urban cities, control the school boards, etc. The schools are a colossal failures. At some schools, 3/4s of the kids can't even read or handle basic math. Democrats care more about the teacher's unions than they do the students.

Minimum Wage. The minimum wage is rooted in racism. It was initially created to keep blacks from undercutting white union workers. You can go look back over history and black teenage unemployment was always low and in some cases lower than that of whites. There have been numerous studies showing how minimum wage locks out those who need the job the most. Teens used to work a lot of these jobs. You go to any urban ghetto nowadays and people just mill around because there are no jobs and a lot of this is because minimum wage has priced them out the market.

Illegal immigration. Similar to above. They are taking many of the low skilled jobs that blacks used to take whether it is yard work, janitoral, fast food, construction, etc.

Family Unit. It most certainly is a Democrat issue. You can track it back from 1960s when Daniel Moynihan (Democrat mind you) warned about it. It was Democrat policies from the War on Poverty that pushed black men out of the home. They couldn't get benefits if a woman was married and man in the house. The issue started long before Reagan was even in office.

Of course, we haven't even gotten into feminism (largely a Democrat plank) creating wage stagnation. All these women who used to stay home jumped into the work force which drove down wages of even professionals. This is why it is so hard to live on a single income now even for professionals. Not too mention, women making themselves miserable, messed up fertility, on top of the broken homes.

Look, you leftist simply cannot connect dots beyond one or two steps. This is why Democrats never see the unintended consequences of their policies. For you, all that matters is that you feel good doing it, not that you can actually measure results as intended.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Also, I love how he blamed illegal immigration on Reagan. Reagan allowed amnesty as part of a deal where okay, we'll let the ones here stay here but we have to secure the border. Then the Democrats reneged on the deal so the border was never secured. This is the same deal the Democrats tried to offer Trump last year. Luckily he was too smart to take it.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: Edumakated

Also, I love how he blamed illegal immigration on Reagan. Reagan allowed amnesty as part of a deal where okay, we'll let the ones here stay here but we have to secure the border. Then the Democrats reneged on the deal so the border was never secured. This is the same deal the Democrats tried to offer Trump last year. Luckily he was too smart to take it.

Exactly!

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
You need to do more reading of history. The majority of Democrats in the turn of the century up through the 1950's were KKK members. They were southern Democrats. You are fooled by the holier than thou moral high grounders who trick you into thinking Republicans are racist. The Late Senator Robert Byrd of North Carolina , a democrat, was the Grand Dragon of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. They went from outright Jim Crow laws to acting like they wanted to be the righteous representatives of Blacks. If you really look closely it was brilliant. Keep Blacks down give them a check and shut them up. Make life easy for them but keep them at bay and corralled into poverty. Think think think. Quit with the Trump derangement and become a critical thinker. You are smarter than that or you would not be on this site.

And as for our founding fathers that was how business was done at the time. You act like they had a lot of other choices in running large plantations. You also act as if all were horse whipped and treated badly. Most were not and the ones that were treated badly I consider that horrible and how people that perpetrated such acts could call themselves Christians. Our founding fathers battled a lot over slavery but getting rid of it was not as easy as you think. They knew it was morally repugnant but economically bound. Keeping the colonies together against a British foe rather than a civilly divided group of colonies fighting a common cause. Basically a fast cut and dry decision was not that easy.
edit on 20-6-2019 by Ansuzrune because: Revision

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: UKTruth

The Democratic party of today is different than the one over a hundred years ago. You're trying to revise history by acting like Democrats today are like the ones from back in the days of slavery.

You're not revising history? Gimme a break.

Doesnt change the fact that the democrats were the one for it. If my direct ancestor massacred a small town, I am tied to them by blood and name. I may have not participated, but we are still related.

I would never force anyone, let alone the ones who stopped them pay reparations 100 years later.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

edit on 20-6-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ansuzrune

And as for our founding fathers that was how business was done at the time. You act like they had a lot of other choices in running large plantations. You also act as if all were horse whipped and treated badly. Most were not and the ones that were treated badly I consider that horrible and how people that perpetrated such acts could call themselves Christians. Our founding fathers battled a lot over slavery but getting rid of it was not as easy as you think. They knew it was morally repugnant but economically bound. Keeping the colonies together against a British foe rather than a civilly divided group of colonies fighting a common cause. Basically a fast cut and dry decision was not that easy.

This was an unfortunate reality of the time. Even when you look at north versus south, it wasn't as simple as the south were all racists and everyone in the north was not, like just draw a line and magically people on one side are racists and wanted slaves. The reason slavery was big in the south was because their economy was more based around agriculture than the north's was. For years the north looked the other way because they traded a lot with southern states. Same with England. I read a biography of Harriet Beecher Stowe recently where they detailed how there was so much support for the abolition movement in England, until it became serious and looked like it might actually become a reality. Then all of a sudden all these important politicians and socialites who were up Stowe's ass after she wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin wouldn't even meet with her when she was trying to convince them to support the North. The politicians in England were afraid of what abolition would do to them economically because they imported a lot of goods from the southern states that were produced by slaves.

The ugly reality of it was that for many people it was an economic question, not a moral one. None of this is in defense of slavery, but history matters.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Thank you for the additional information. Yes people in the North treated blacks just as bad as in the south in some instances.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

Democrat President, Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) nominated & appointed a friend and high-ranking KKK member to the Supreme Court.

The Justice served on the bench for 34 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join