It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish TF-X 5th Gen Fighter META Thread

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Without sounding like I'm jumping on the 'it's an F-22' bandwagon but are we as humans at a point now where the ideal shape for a fighter aircraft is the shape and looks of an F-22/F-35. Have we reached the limits of manned aircraft design, I say that because I know some drones can look a little crazy. Even the supposed new Tempest for the RAF has a whiff of F22/35 look to it

Sorry hope the question makes sense

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Some part of it is physics. You want a long moment-arm, so the tails go back as far as you can. You want planform alignment for signature management. You need a wing angle and shape that works well aerodynamically with your design performance goals.

Here the general shape and compromises are already proven. That means you save money on development, and you have a pretty good idea that your modeling will be faithful to reality.

The shape itself is probably not ideal for what current doctrines and trends are, but it's easy and cheap (relatively speaking) to replicate. T-50 and J-20 are probably kinematically superior (particularly at supersonic speeds increasingly relevant), and if they are not, it's because of lack of thrust. But again, easier to develop something around a proven design than start one from scratch.

<< 1   >>

join