It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Uninformed Anti-gun Extremist, Exhibit A

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Bye, Dad. That'd be my response.

Can't have it both ways Daddy... She's either responsible, or she's not...which is it? You're going to ruin your relationship, or, at best, damage it, over a gun that she's probably more qualified to use than you are--given the quotes he made.

...and Amy? Misinformed, at best.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm going to go with BS letter as well.
First of all, what parent, does not know, that YES, you can kick out your 24 year old daughter? For any reason possible? IT IS YOUR HOUSE! It doesn't sound like she is paying rent, since she can't afford to live anywhere else.

And second, you say all that wonderful stuff, about how intelligent and great she is, yet you are now locking your bedroom door, like you have some stranger in the house?

Either BS letter, or probably should not have had children.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I don't think it's bs.

People call 911 for bad fast food service.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I don't think it's bs.

People call 911 for bad fast food service.

They just can't really respond to this level of craziness in their camp, so they have to pretend it's fake. We've all known people like this. They're out there.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Edumakated

I live in a progressive state and there is a stronger constitution for state gun rights than the american constitution.

Life is full of variety. Oddly enough trump has probably banned guns more than obama did.

The far left can be pretty outrageous but so is the extreme gun crowd. As a competition hobbyist who does some three gun race stuff, I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb. If they can perform in that manner I don't have as much a problem but it takes weekly work to shoot in stress well. That is why cops are so bad at it. They don't practice near enough and most don't even own their own firearms.

I was under the impression that the whole idea to arm teachers was more about letting them carry if they were trained and willing. When did they propose a mandatory arms deal?
edit on 19-6-2019 by network dude because: y

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
My favorite part:

There have only been two home invasions in our neighborhood in the last 11 years.

Does he think this is an acceptably low number, and nothing to be worried about? There haven't been ANY in my neighborhood. Home invasions are terrifying, and often end in people getting raped and/or murdered.

I can see why she'd want a gun living there, as it sounds like daddy would just hide in his room if bad people with bad intentions invaded their home.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It would be disrespectful to not abide by the rules of the house/home. That said? Doesn't sound much like a dad. I hope the daughter doesn't judge all male figures based on her dad. Then again she may have, having to arm herself thinking men are either evil our worthless like dad.

But I do not believe it's a true story or ligit question. The ignorance is to unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Funny no one ever wants to band cars?

GIRL, 2, HIT AND KILLED BY MOM BACKING OUT OF DRIVEWAY IN WESTMINSTER, POLICE SAY
A 2-year-old girl was struck and killed by her mother, who police said was backing out of the driveway to take her other children to school.

www.9news.com...

Why doesn’t anyone weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) car owner in this country?

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
Funny no one ever wants to band cars?

GIRL, 2, HIT AND KILLED BY MOM BACKING OUT OF DRIVEWAY IN WESTMINSTER, POLICE SAY
A 2-year-old girl was struck and killed by her mother, who police said was backing out of the driveway to take her other children to school.

www.9news.com...

Why doesn’t anyone weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) car owner in this country?

Because you can't fundraise and get easy votes from gullible people using a "ban cars" platform. That mother is likely very grateful her child wasn't killed by a gun, ya know?

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Opposing the second amendment is what morons do.

And weak, gutless countries are (trying) to confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens (and failing, miserably, see New Zealand).

“Guns are loud and they smell of firecrackers, we need to ban them”

“Well, maybe just stop law abiding citizens from having them. HONK HONK”

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Of course, a conversation to a progressive means yelling and accusing the other side of being racist, homophobic, or whatever.

I yelled back once, and got the police called on me. Now I know my place.

On topic. Here in the UK a false flag shooting was used to push through a ban on handguns. One of the people caught up in this saw through the trickery and wrote this book.

. . . the obstructive attitudes of the authorities over the years has convinced me that they are certainly trying to hide something. Surely an inquiry is set up to make clear exactly what happened, who was involved and why it happened. The only certain fact is that sixteen children and a teacher died on that dreadful morning in March 1996. After Dunblane, there were demands for a ban on handguns. There is no doubt that many people genuinely felt that ownership of guns should be banned. However, the outlawing of these guns did not reduce crime. The number of crimes involving the use of guns has risen every year since 1996 and only 2004 showed a slight decrease. It was almost unknown for legally held weapons to be used to commit a crime, but unfortunately, due to the almost hysterical campaign, the spotlight fell on law-abiding sportsmen and women.
stolenkids-dunblane.blogspot.com...

The grieving families are used as change agents, spreading ignorance and untouchable due to their bereavement.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Yes, guns should be made illegal. It would be harder for guys who can't get laid to go out and buy one and shoot up people. Also would be harder for mentally ill students to do a columbine again, and honestly, it's about time the men in our own Country begin to correlate masculinity and virility with physical fitness and aesthetics(most men and women in our nation are obese or overweight, which is just a smaller scale of obesity) instead of using guns as to feel like they're real men.

The British aren't going to invade. The govt. is not going to turn into a Nazi-lead regime, so there is no need to own guns to assert your freedom.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The way this works is, Amy does get letters, but those are not normally what she publishes an answer to. Instead, she writes her own letters and answers those, based on letters she has received and her own idea of what she wants to tell people. The proof is in the letters themselves... the problem varies quite substantially from letter to letter, but the writing style doesn't.

So, it's as likely as not that no actual parent wrote this... but it is still possible one did, at least in general terms.

That said, assuming there was an actual person who wrote something akin to this letter,
  • They are themselves a victim, afraid of their own daughter even though they believe she is responsible.

• They are an idiot for thinking that a locked bedroom door will stop anyone intent on harming them. Front door? Yeah, that'll give a little resistance. An internal door? Nope, those locks are there just to inform someone trying to enter that they shouldn't. Most can be "picked" in under 5 seconds with a nail. They're made that way for safety; if there is an emergency, family can get through a locked door quickly to render aid.

• They are not using any higher brain function. As has been pointed out, .40 cal is not the typical gun used by a criminal. It is a compromise round, more powerful than the .357/.38, but not as bulky and unwieldy as a .44. As a result, ammunition is expensive and not as easily located, making it a not-so-good round for criminals. Hollow-point bullets, likely semi-jacketed hollow points, are a much safer round than wad-cutters or full metal jacket rounds. Wad-cutters have poorer ballistics, meaning a loss in accuracy, while full metal jackets are designed for penetration only. Semi-jacketed hollow points have the ballistics and accuracy of a full metal jacket, but the stopping power of a wad-cutter. He apparently is simply basing his parental responsibilities on visual cues only, with no insight into what he is looking at.

• He is an extreme pacifist. Two home invasions in 11 years... read that as, two families lives destroyed immeasurably in 11 years. Those are unacceptable statistics to me, although I will admit there are areas much more troublesome. The choice then becomes, move to where there is less chance of a home invasion, develop and utilize methods of self protection, or hide and pray. He is hiding and praying, which is the worst possible decision out of those three choices if one's goal is to not be a victim of an attack.

• He does not realize he is likely the very reason for his daughter's decision to have a gun. I would think it is likely that she has considered the situation, living alone with a scared, unaware, deluded pacifist who would be less than useless in an attack, and determined that she needed to have some means of self-protection for both herself and for him.

• He does not care about his daughter. Sure, maybe he thinks he does, but he is trying to actively deny her the ability to protect herself should there be an attack, and he is certainly not going to be capable of protecting her.

• He has absolutely no faith in his daughter. He may describe her favorably, but his irrational fear of her states otherwise.

• He is an abject coward. There is an old saying: "A coward dies a thousand deaths; a brave man, only one." That is true. His existence must be horrible, living in constant fear even of those he knows best.
Now, let's look at Amy, the person who possibly wrote the letter (or at least edited it heavily) and would therefore also fall into all of the above categories:
  • She has no concept of the subject matter she is speaking of. The very fact that she thinks semi-jacketed hollow points are explosive (and therefore illegal) says worlds to that.

I used to have some .357 Magnum exploders (which I eventually destroyed). They were a gift from a friend long ago, and yes, are highly illegal in Alabama. They literally explode on contact, but the explosion is not much more damaging to the victim than the mushrooming effect a semi-jacketed hollow point round has. Pre-fragmented bullets are likely more damaging, and they are (sort of) legal. The reason exploders are illegal is that they are dangerous... it is very easy for them to explode on the initial firing (blowing up the gun) or during the trajectory (causing the trajectory to change and endanger anyone in the area). The first is why I destroyed mine instead of firing them; I like my gun in one piece.

• Her stats come from the University of Chicago. Chicago has an abnormally high violent crime rate compared to pretty much anywhere else in the country, and also has some of the strictest gun control laws. Those two things are not unrelated. A criminal will usually not be as concerned with the police catching him than he will with a biullet catching him. The former causes him to get a vacation of sorts with his "homeys" to learn how to not get caught next time, while the latter makes him dead.

• She makes a lot of assumptions, including that the daughter has not undergone a background check and has no experience with a firearm. She even goes so far as to implicate that the daughter may be doing something dangerous outside the home, adding to the irrational fear the "father" already has of his own daughter. There is absolutely zero basis for these assumptions; for all Amy knows, the daughter is a crack marksman and has noticed indications of an impending home invasion.

• As has been mentioned, giving the "father" the weapon is an almost certain way to create an accidental shooting. He likely would be unable to work the safety mechanism, and certainly would not know how to care for the weapon or operate it safely. In some states, I think it is actually illegal to transfer a firearm to someone fitting that description. This type of gifting has also been shown as a contributing factor in several school shootings.
Simply put... yeah, OP, you nailed it. This type of response is what makes me all the more determined that there will be a gun somewhere close to me at all time. I don't know when some idiot like this has his daughter's gun on him and might get angry and try to 'scare' me with it, which would be nothing short of shooting me with it in one of those 'accidents' he seems so scared of.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaTribeEntity

I completely agree! I was was thinking the very same thing as I was reading this. More propaganda to push an agenda.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ligyron

Yes, guns should be made illegal. It would be harder for guys who can't get laid to go out and buy one and shoot up people. Also would be harder for mentally ill students to do a columbine again, and honestly, it's about time the men in our own Country begin to correlate masculinity and virility with physical fitness and aesthetics(most men and women in our nation are obese or overweight, which is just a smaller scale of obesity) instead of using guns as to feel like they're real men.

The British aren't going to invade. The govt. is not going to turn into a Nazi-lead regime, so there is no need to own guns to assert your freedom.

No they shouldn't be. Your characterization of why people buy guns is wrong too. You've been brainwashed by gun control propaganda. You're so scared of gun owners you have to make up things about them not being "real men" to make yourself feel better. Congrats, you are part of the problem and an obstacle to progress. People like you are why we can't find common ground on this issue and save lives. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Ligyron

Its a right. I dont need a reason to own guns. Do you need a reason to not have soldiers quartered in your home?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ligyron

If you think we should trash the 2nd Amendment, then perhaps your statement above, being blatantly unconstitutional, should be considered hate speech and you should be arrested? After all, who needs the protections afforded by the 1st Amendment either?

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ligyron

Let's look at your last so called point...

The British aren't coming?? Oh, well...maybe the French will, I heard that that Napoleon guy is quite the war monger...

Hate to break this to you, actually I don't hate to do it at all, but I don't need to justify buying a gun to anyone, much less to someone as ignorant on the subject as you just proven yourself to be...

As for your first so called points?? Nothing there worth commenting upon.

posted on Jun, 20 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   

You know, if you guys prasticed and became crack shots, like me, you would not be worried about this s**t.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: luthier

I live in a progressive state and there is a stronger constitution for state gun rights than the american constitution.

Life is full of variety. Oddly enough trump has probably banned guns more than obama did.

The far left can be pretty outrageous but so is the extreme gun crowd. As a competition hobbyist who does some three gun race stuff, I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb. If they can perform in that manner I don't have as much a problem but it takes weekly work to shoot in stress well. That is why cops are so bad at it. They don't practice near enough and most don't even own their own firearms.

I was under the impression that the whole idea to arm teachers was more about letting them carry if they were trained and willing. When did they propose a mandatory arms deal?

Then it should be easy to find what kind of coarse required and what kind of maintenance stress and marksmanship shooting there is.

What people say and what ends up in legislation is often very different.

For instance police officers don't even have enough training so I doubt teachers are getting more.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join