It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Uninformed Anti-gun Extremist, Exhibit A

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Advice columnist "Ask Amy" dispenses hilariously uninformed "advice" to gun-fearing Dad

Ask Amy: My daughter lives with me and owns a gun. Can I kick her out?

Would you listen to someone in a debate about automobile regulation that thought cars still mostly came with manual transmissions and didn't have shoulder belts? Of course not. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. That's where the whole "I don't need to know about guns to know we should ban xyz" thing falls apart.

Honestly I'm struggling to even write this post because the whole thing is so crazy I don't know where to begin, so I'm sorry for the disjointed flow of this post. I'm tempted to just quote the entire letter and her response because it's hilarity and stupidity from start to finish, but I know I can't do that. Let's start here:

And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it. Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess!

You see what I mean? Just wow. For the uninformed members, what we're laughing at here is that actually this is a completely normal gun. Semi-autos are the most popular handguns in America, .40 is a perfectly "normal" and common caliber, and hollow points are both common and safer for an owner to use in defensive situations. (The daughter said she had the gun for emergencies.) Criminals are unlikely to use hollow points because they're expensive. This actually indicates that the daughter is a responsible gun owner and didn't just buy the cheapest crap she could get her hands on. In my experience criminals are also unlikely to use .40. Most of them want 9 or 10mm or .45 caliber, maybe .22 (cheap) or .38. .40 is kind of a niche round. I guarantee he based this "this is a gun criminals use!" simply off the way the gun looks. It probably looks like something he's seen in TV shows and movies being used by the bad guys. It just keeps getting better.

I’ve given her three choices: She can either give her weapon to me, sell it or move out in three weeks.

Giving it to him would be irresponsible and dangerous. There's no indication that the Dad has any experience or training. The odds are good that he has neither. If he did, it's unlikely he would be this clueless about and scared of a common handgun. Also, anecdotally, anti-gun zealots love to tell you about their experience, if they have any, to make themselves sound more credible, so the fact he didn't mention any tells me it's a safe bet he's never fired a gun in his life.

This would be a good place to mention that if he isn't an owner and hasn't been in the past, he hasn't been through a background check. So he wants her to transfer the gun to him, with no background check, no training, no nothing? That could be illegal in some states. Not to mention, based on the prior indicators about his lack of experience and knowledge, he probably doesn't even know how to safely handle it, clear it, or store it. This should be one of the most obvious things for Advice Girl to correct in her response. Of course, not knowing anything about guns herself, she doesn't do so.

now I have to lock my bedroom door at night because I don’t know what she’s going to do.

This is just hilarious. At the beginning of his letter, he went out of his way to state that his daughter is intelligent, hard-working and responsible. He locks his door? Did he lock his door before he found out she had a gun? She could've killed him with a knife or any number of other things he has in the house. He finally asks "how do I convince her to stop endangering us?" Honestly she's better off moving out anyway.

Now on to the reply.

According to my research, possessing hollow-point bullets is illegal in 11 states; is it legal in your state to own this sort of exploding ammunition?

Hollow points aren't "exploding ammunition." They're also not illegal in 11 states. I don't know where this moron did her "research" but she did it wrong. Probably Moms Demand or MAIG or one of the other anti-gun groups known for publishing false information about guns to support their agenda. Hollow points do expand on impact, which makes them less likely to pass through the body and injure innocent bystanders in the event you do have to shoot someone.

She brings up the classic gun control trope about how gun ownership increases the risk of accidental death by gun. This is a tired, old, pointless argument. Of course owning something makes you more likely to have an accident with it. Just like you're more likely to drown in a pool if you own one or more likely to get in a car accident if you drive.

I also weep that there is yet another (likely unsafe) gun owner in this country.

I'll again point out that the Dad stressed his daughter is intelligent, hard-working and responsible. In all likelihood, she went through proper channels to buy her gun, which means she went through a background check. There's a fair chance she went through some training. At the very least I bet she read the manual, which is more than Dad has done (but somehow, because he hates guns, he's the safe person to give the gun to?) So how does she get "likely unsafe"? Based on what? Obviously based on nothing but her anti-gun attitude.

I originally wrote a long, thoughtful, olive-branchy post about how people like this are actually hurting the gun control cause and if advocates want to actually get together and find meaningful solutions, they should exorcise people like this from their ranks because they make a laughing stock out of your whole movement. Most gun owners and pro-gun advocates are open to having a meaningful conversation and trying to educate. But who am I kidding? Most of the folks who are gonna see this will be offended at the very notion that us dumb hick gun-toting maniacs that don't care about dead kids might know something they don't. They're not interested in learning, meaningful conversation, or finding real solutions. This is just a political football.

*This is really not about whether the uninformed Dad has the right to do this. Personally, I feel like he does, but that's completely beside the point. This post is about the sheer idiocy of the Dad and the columnist and it's meant to illustrate why we just can't listen to the anti-gunners. Most of you sound just like this. You don't know anything. Who in their right mind would listen to you? This "advice" columnist and the reader she's responding to are just convenient examples. Ask any of our pro-gun members and they could easily rattle off stories where they've seen or dealt with similarly uninformed anti-gun crusaders.*

**If you are actually interested in a real adult conversation and trying to find common ground, send me a private message. Don't DM me your favorite 15 talking points copy-pasted from an article you read about why guns are bad. For one, each point I could probably write a book about. These are complex issues. Send me one particular issue you'd like to ask about, say why magazine limits won't work and we can go from there.**
edit on 19 6 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Most leftist are uninformed.... the problem is they simply don't know it.

I live in a very progressive anti-gun town. There are sometimes forums where there is a conversation about gun violence. Of course, a conversation to a progressive means yelling and accusing the other side of being racist, homophobic, or whatever.

Anyway, at one of the anti-gun discussion groups, a pro-gun guy asked the gun control nuts to list out all the things they wanted in new gun legislation. After the list was produced, he proceeded to point out how each and everything they demanded was already covered by existing legislation.

Listening to some of these people you'd think bullets go around corners...

Here is a video demonstrating the arrogance and how uninformed people are....

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I live in a progressive state and there is a stronger constitution for state gun rights than the american constitution.

Life is full of variety. Oddly enough trump has probably banned guns more than obama did.

The far left can be pretty outrageous but so is the extreme gun crowd. As a competition hobbyist who does some three gun race stuff, I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb. If they can perform in that manner I don't have as much a problem but it takes weekly work to shoot in stress well. That is why cops are so bad at it. They don't practice near enough and most don't even own their own firearms.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

I live in a progressive state and there is a stronger constitution for state gun rights than the american constitution.

Life is full of variety. Oddly enough trump has probably banned guns more than obama did.

The far left can be pretty outrageous but so is the extreme gun crowd. As a competition hobbyist who does some three gun race stuff, I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb. If they can perform in that manner I don't have as much a problem but it takes weekly work to shoot in stress well. That is why cops are so bad at it. They don't practice near enough and most don't even own their own firearms.

Fair.

I just believe we've already regulated guns enough. Most of our gun violence has nothing to do with laws. I don't like regulations for regulations sake without data/facts to back up why it is needed. So much of this discussion is emotional instead of fact based imho.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I don't for one moment believe that that letter was written by a concerned parent.

This stinks of the sort of fakery that is common on Ebaums World; Made-up nonsense to generate clicks, and to induce fake outrage to boot.

Sorry, not buying it.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb.

Which is why everyone who advocates for this solution stresses that the teachers should be extensively screened and trained. The media and the anti-gun groups will make it sound like we want to force every teacher, even if they don't want to, to carry a gun. Of course, this is false, and it shows you how weak their position is that they have to misrepresent the other side. These teachers are often left defending their kids with their own body. Give those who are willing and competent the means to actually do something.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity

I don't for one moment believe that that letter was written by a concerned parent.

This stinks of the sort of fakery that is common on Ebaums World; Made-up nonsense to generate clicks, and to induce fake outrage to boot.

Sorry, not buying it.

Wishful thinking. I've had plenty of conversations with anti-gun folks. Some of them are indeed that absurd. It's a serious problem and an obstacle to progress. That's kind of the whole point I was making here.

originally posted by: Edumakated

I don't like regulations for regulations sake without data/facts to back up why it is needed. So much of this discussion is emotional instead of fact based imho.

Which, again, is the entire problem. Many gun control groups keep folks distracted with meaningless nonsense like banning magazines over a certain capacity like that will do anything. It won't. And if they had a decent understanding of the topic they would know that. But they refuse to get informed, and for that reason they actually stand in the way of progress by keeping us focused on non-issues instead of things that could actually make a difference. It's actually very frustrating for people like me who would like to see improvements, but we can't get there because we're busy defending our rights against meaningless infringements that would do nothing but make the advocates feel accomplished.
edit on 19 6 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Oh boy, that's a problem, lol

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I agree. We could offer more free and competitive shooting in exchange maybe for a tax break for ranges to educate gun owners. Far too many accidents and people not trained enough to make a real difference. Start with police. If you can have access to an AR (which let's face it they need in many cases like mass shootings) they can not have the level of training and maintenance currently used.

We could clean up a lot of police shootings by taking care of officers better. Many should be screened out for physical fitness as well. For their and our own good.

As a bleeding heart libertarian that is how I feel about where to have some common ground. We should be aware however if this training would sponsor more nut jobs to be better shots and a method of profiling should probably be in the back pocket. I know that sounds terrible but it's an opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The mom is an idiot....

But...

Her house, her rules..

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I can tell you arming teachers without extensive screening and stress shooting training is a timebomb.

Which is why everyone who advocates for this solution stresses that the teachers should be extensively screened and trained. The media and the anti-gun groups will make it sound like we want to force every teacher, even if they don't want to, to carry a gun. Of course, this is false, and it shows you how weak their position is that they have to misrepresent the other side. These teachers are often left defending their kids with their own body. Give those who are willing and competent the means to actually do something.

It's also false to assume gun enthusiasts shoot well and those screenings have been put in place. They are not. In Texas when I needed a ccl it was moronicaly easy to get. As a person who shoots targets almost every week i was actually a little horrified. Most of the class is who to call if you shoot someone.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The mom is an idiot....

But...

Her house, her rules..

It's actually a dad, but that's not important. I actually agree with that part. My brother doesn't want guns in his house so when I go to visit my gun stays in the car. I respect his right to govern his private property the way he sees fit.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It's also false to assume gun enthusiasts shoot well and those screenings have been put in place. They are not. In Texas when I needed a ccl it was moronicaly easy to get. As a person who shoots targets almost every week i was actually a little horrified. Most of the class is who to call if you shoot someone.

I'm all about training and safety. The issue is whether it's reasonable to restrict gun ownership to those who are good shots (not saying you're suggesting this). Most defensive uses are at very close range. You don't need to be a particularly good shot. On the other hand, in a school environment where there are lots of innocent bystanders, I'd want the standards to be very high for teachers to be allowed to carry. That doesn't mean that no teachers should be carrying though. As you said, there is common ground to be had here if people are willing to have real conversations.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I have met some Christian parents who wanted to kick their gay child out of the home
How can someone not love their child, how can someone want so much control over another person, how can someone put “something” over loving their children

It’s really sad, gun, bullets, quality or whatever, why not just love your child, whatever their choice

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I'm all about training and safety. The issue is whether it's reasonable to restrict gun ownership to those who are good shots (not saying you're suggesting this). Most defensive uses are at very close range. You don't need to be a particularly good shot. On the other hand, in a school environment where there are lots of innocent bystanders, I'd want the standards to be very high for teachers to be allowed to carry. That doesn't mean that no teachers should be carrying though. As you said, there is common ground to be had here if people are willing to have real conversations.

This is true which is why population density and accident ratio should be considered debated etc..

Brings up tiny guns and sometimes stupid caliber for barrel size...non accuracy is a problem in any dense population particularly with people uneducated as to what rounds to use never mind a caliber the can actually control. .45 tiny guns in scared peoples hands with non holowpoints comes to mind.

If you are a danger to the population even based on accidents (think LA size) you should at least need a liscense to have it in your sweatpants at the club.

Little joke at the end. I think it doesn't have to be forced. It can be public service messages and the responsible owners emphasizing more training at the free range days created by a society that wants citizens to be competent.
edit on 19-6-2019 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I know of a couple non Christians that did the same thing.
Stupid belongs in it's own category.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Raggedyman

I know of a couple non Christians that did the same thing.
Stupid belongs in it's own category.

Amen to that 😒

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Guns are only fun, when your the only one that has a gun.

Any more, then it all fun an games, till somebody blows out a brain.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

And it’s not a normal gun, either — it is a 40-caliber semi-automatic, and she has hollow-point bullets to go with it. Amy, this is the kind of weapon a criminal would possess!

Stupid people shouldn't breed.

posted on Jun, 19 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Apparently it is possible to live without a functioning brain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join