It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Crow Funeral

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A Crow Funeral
Hi ATS

This morning there occurred a fairly remarkable event in my yard. I was out enjoying coffee in my garden when crows began to gather in the treetops, cawing loudly. It was a raucous affair, eventually attracting the magpies which live next door (who joined in with their own distinctive call), a squirrel, and a woodpecker. The cacophony continued at a feverish pitch, drawing my son outside to ask about the commotion, drawing new crows from the neighborhood, and drawing up disquieting memories of Hitchcock’s The Birds (or Daphne du Maurier’s short story which inspired the film).

It wasn’t until I noticed the dead crow in the road by my house that this whole scene made sense. So I had witnessed a funeral for crows! It appeared quite the honorable turnout, with the other Corvidae (the magpies) joining in to pay their respects too. Even as I write this, I hear new crows cawing their arrival, flying in to see their fellow off.

So this event got me into research mode, and I found the following article offering its opinion of the cause of a crow’s funeral. The author of this and similar pieces seem to think the funeral is less motivated by affection/grief as it is by threat assessment-- a gathering at a crime scene to determine the cause of the threat. Moreover,

The study results suggest that not only do crows notice and react to the sight of a dead crow, but they also quickly learn to associate danger and threat with humans who appear in close proximity to dead crows, recognizing them as a distinct and different caws for alarm.

www.livescience.com...
I wonder if the crows now associate me with/hold me responsible for their dead friend!?
:O

At least from everything I saw they did not gather for the following purpose (which I had already and unfortunately read about)

www.audubon.org...
Here's a video recording of another (slightly larger than the one I saw) crow funeral:

Thank you for reading, friends! Does anyone have a similar story to share?

Hope you're having a great week!

edit on 17-6-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Very cool story zosimov!

Hopefully they do not hold a grudge against you for as you said associating you with the death. They like many know remember faces and can hold grudges. It's amazing how intelligent they are for their size.

Maybe you can give the remaining crows an offering of good faith so they'll associate you with that instead.

Edit: I did not know that they mourned the dead, the more I hear about crows the more they remind me of elephants.
edit on 17-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Hey hey, they aren't quite the gentlemen of the skies you think.

They hunt for sport. How do you reconcile a mourning animal that goes snapping pigeon spines for fun?

edit on 17-6-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The crow might have called out in distress as it was dying and alerted the others.
If you go on YouTube and look up “crow in distress”, then play it aloud through a speaker, crows will come and see what the commotion is about.
I’ve freaked a few people out doing that.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

My favorite bird. And the best of the best.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
They hunt for sport. How do you reconcile a mourning animal that goes snapping pigeon spines for fun?

Pigeons are flying cockroaches and should have their spine's snapped.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would say since your son was out first he is the enemy of the crows. If you went outside and took him back inside you may have become a friend of the crow clan.

I've read that crows can actually tell human faces apart, so a body size difference should be easy for them to tell apart.

I wonder if they give us nicknames.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If you're a deer hunter, there's nothing worse than crows..

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments so far! I wrote this just as life was getting super busy so I might not be able to give this thread the attention I'd like to for a little while.

I'll be back for the discussion, though!!

(ETA: lol, so no one worries the crows have got me if I'm a few days absent)

edit on 17-6-2019 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 01:24 PM
link   

What is there to reconcile? Sounds very human-like to me.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Hey hey, they aren't quite the gentlemen of the skies you think.

I doubt that very much. They are territorial it is more likely they attack what comes withing their space to protect that territory!

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Cool story!

Crows seem to come close to me a lot; and caw while looking at me. One almost flew in my window a couple of weeks ago.

I have thrown sunflower seeds and nuts for the birds and squirrels, maybe that is why.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I watched a crow mourning once under similar circumstances.

We were living in a small town and I heard a huge ruckus outside, screaming and such.

A crow had been hit by a car and was in the street... the scene was as you said... something out of a Hitchcock movie.

The only difference in my story is that a cat walked into the street a few houses away.

Poor bastard never stood a chance. It was actually a little horrible to watch.

Another one...

My wife is not a hunter and won't even shoot a groundhog if her life depended on it.

However, once she had a pair of bluebirds build a nest just over her gazebo in a tree... she delighted in feeding the couple and was anxious for the eggs to hatch.

For a few days she got to listen to the little peeps and the nest shaking around... she bought a pole to put her camera on so she could take a video.

Before that got delivered she was sitting there reading a book, a crow swooped down and she got to watch the crow eat the chicks one by one from the nest with the bluebirds screaming and dive bombing the crow.

Then we had a crow apocalypse over the course of a few weeks with her .22 until she felt better.

I have watched them dive bomb bald eagles in mid air and knock feathers off of them, so yes they are very territorial.

They don't taste too bad either, so I always wondered about the term "eat crow".

edit on 17-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Aww I love this stuff.
It truly shows the consciousness in animals and not just predatory instinct.
Animals love, mourn and socialize just like humans.
What an amazing world we live in.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Awww, poor birdie. I believe that birds have feelings.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Crows are really smart.

I have a strawberry patch with a 6 foot fence (for deer) and electric fencing (for elk and bear).

For the first few years I was OK except for the crows.

So I put bird netting up.

I was still having issues and thought it was mice...

Till I watched a crow hold up the netting for his co-conspirators to get in and out.

Then I went with putting blank CD's up because they hate the light reflection.

So they took the time to break them off the lines I had them on.

So I nailed the CDs to the posts.

So they broke them off the posts.

So I gave up.. they don't eat a lot of strawberries anyways.

We have one that we call crazy crow... its call sounds like a woman screaming.

Sometimes other crows respond in kind and we have screaming women in the trees for a bit.

I have a soft spot in my heart for them personally.

The wife... not so much.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I have a soft spot in my heart for them personally. The wife... not so much.

Hmm. I believe you can take that phrase two different ways.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Oops!!!

You are entirely correct and you made me blow Dead Guy Ale out of my nose once I puzzled that out.

Meant the wife is not as fond of crows as I am.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Yes they are indeed smart. You made me laugh when you mentioned all the ways they tried to get the strawberries and the screaming women crows. Lol! I have always been fond of crows myself.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Hahaha! I didn't notice that until you pointed it out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join