It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record-Setting Noctilucent Clouds

page: 1

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

On June 8th and 9th, many people who have never previously heard of “noctilucent clouds” (NLCs) found themselves eagerly taking pictures of them–from moving cars, through city lights, using cell phones and iPads. “I have never seen clouds like this before!” says Tucker Shannon, who took this picture from Corvallis, Oregon:

“I heard that they may have been seeded by meteoroids,” says Shannon.

That’s correct. NLCs are Earth’s highest clouds. Seeded by meteoroids, they float at the edge of space more than 80 km above the planet’s surface. The clouds are very cold and filled with tiny ice crystals. When sunbeams hit those crystals, they glow electric-blue.

Record-Setting Noctilucent Clouds

It is not certain what causes Noctilucent clouds to form. The theory is that they are seeded by dust and vapor from micrometeorites entering the upper reaches of the Earth's atmosphere. They may also be formed by volcanic dust that makes it's way to the upper reaches of the atmosphere. They form in the the mesosphere at altitudes of 47 to 53 mi and require extremely cold temperatures of -120 degrees Celsius or lower.

Noctilucent clouds are seen in the late spring and early summer. They were very rare occurrences and used to be seen only in northern latitudes of around 50 to 70 degrees north. Noctilucent clouds have just very recently started forming in more southern latitudes and are becoming more common.

Spaceweather.com

There have been many sightings and reports of noctilucent clouds in the past few weeks. Some of these sightings have been farther south than normal. There may be a reason for you to keep a close eye out for these spectacular clouds.

Noctilucent clouds are very high clouds that only show up just after sunset or just before sunrise. I’ve never seen them before sunrise. To me evening seems like the most likely time to see these clouds.

Spectacular noctilucent clouds are thriving in this weather pattern, keep your eyes open

Taken by Vincent Phillips on June 15, 2019 @ Hale village near Liverpool UK

It is thought that the ice crystals in noctilucent clouds grow onto space dust such as comet debris. Because these clouds are so thin, they can only be seen on a clear night when the sun is below the horizon where it can illuminate the exceedingly thin clouds at a time when the sky is dark. For this reason, they are also called “night shining clouds.”

Rare noctilucent clouds have been spotted recently

MIDDLEVILLE, Mich. (WOOD) — Super rare clouds were spotted over West Michigan this past week and one local photographer was there to see it.

Super rare clouds spotted over West Michigan

It is hard to say why the super rare clouds are becoming more poplar and moving south. More meteoroids entering the atmosphere? Climate change? Or something else?

edit on 16-6-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I was noticing those beautiful, yet strange clouds at sunset the other day. I thought they were out of place, as I usually only see them when it's really, really cold.

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It’s like looking up from underneath a large glass swimming pool.
Is space a giant pool of liquid maybe?

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think those clouds are cool. I have seen them many times over the last ten years or so, but do not remember seeing them before that. They do not know for sure what causes them, but are trying to figure it out.

When researching them around six years ago I read an article about them being seen long ago, even thousands of years on occasion. The article steered me to research some old ancient writings that were translated and they talked about lights and anomolies similar to extreme northern lights and these kind of glowing clouds in the sky at night. So, evidently they thought they were a sign from god or the gods. The translations did not say if they were good signs or bad signs though. That is the problem with having too much time, you tend to look up all sorts of interesting crap that has no real value.

So on occasions over the millennium, these kinds of things have been more pronounced, but there was no way to figure out why from what I read. I can't even say if they are getting more common because of high flying jets, because there were no jets a thousand years ago. We are crossing over the galactic plane, but that takes lots of time and in the writings it was only talked about happening for years, not even centuries, but then again, the last time we went over the center of the galactic plane was many many thousands of years ago...no writings from thirty thousand years or more are around.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It could have something to do with the Earth's changing magnetic field, the Sun cycles or even the galactic plane as you brought up. There is just so much we don't know.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

It could have something to do with the Earth's changing magnetic field, the Sun cycles or even the galactic plane as you brought up. There is just so much we don't know.

The funny thing is that the scientists of the field blew off lots of the ancient writings of brilliant northern lights, glowing clouds, and sprites as fantacy and religious hogwash over the last fifty years. They denied anything that did not fit into the knowledge they held.

There has been a real lot of sprites happening lately too, I wonder if they are somehow related to the noculescent clouds? Lots of sprites being seen in China and that area of the world. I do not think I have ever seen sprites, but then again I really was not looking at above the clouds, I looked for lightning and rain coming down.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Most scientists just don't want to buck the system. Thank goodness for the ones that have.

Don't forget about the blue jets and elves

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Interesting. If the theory is correct that these are formed from increased dust and micro-meteorites, and we're experiencing a record breaking amount of them at the moment, perhaps that means we're going to have an especially active Beta Taurids meteor shower in the coming days.

The Beta Taurids run from early June through mid-July, with a peak in late June, and are associated with the remnants of the Comet Encke.

To go just a bit further down that rabbit hole, Graham Hancock is a proponent of the theory that it was a fragment of the Comet Encke that hit Earth 12,800 years ago on the North American ice sheet, causing the Younger Dryas climate catastrophe, and is likely the source of the flood myths and the disappearance of Atlantis. Maybe we need to keep an eye on the heavens in the coming weeks?

This still is a conspiracy site after all, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
....We are crossing over the galactic plane, but that takes lots of time and in the writings it was only talked about happening for years, not even centuries, but then again, the last time we went over the center of the galactic plane was many many thousands of years ago...no writings from thirty thousand years or more are around...

Maybe some other crossing? Into a more pronounced debris field or something of the sort? Thought I had read something along those lines recently.

Sol System moving away from Galactic Plane

astronomers have determined that we’re currently moving away from, not toward the galactic plane. By astronomers’ estimates, our solar system last crossed the plane of the Milky Way galaxy some 3 million years ago. We won’t do so again for another 30 million years.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   

The scientist seems to have warned us about this, Many years ago I'd a thread about the weather were now facing.

back then we'd not know if this was really going to happen and the scientist who organized this symposium was never heard from after that as of her coverage that has gone in the dark from the website itself at the TU- Delft university. Don't know why, but can almost imagine what happened to her after that symposium on a respected university thrown in a deep pit to never see the light of day..

This is what's left from this symposium at the university

LookingAtMars I'm glad you pointed that out with your thread it's looking at the sun I suppose?

Pssst actually we don't suppose to know that we're in a transformation that will probably take many years to achieve and believe me we haven't seen the tip of the iceberg yet

edit on 0b54America/ChicagoMon, 17 Jun 2019 12:23:54 -0500vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 17 Jun 2019 12:23:54 -05001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Wow.

I have a few meteorological textbooks and I've never read of this form of cloud, let alone see them. It kind of looks like God after he took a puff on a cigarette.

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Oh wow. Never in my life have a given a good gosh darn about clouds. But two three weeks ago I roll down the window in the back of a cab and took 24 pictures of the clouds because it was a phenomenon I had never seen and these pictures are dog doo compared to the bold as can be on a light blue fading to deep space black sky in the middle of the day. And the clouds themselves were like zigzags almost as sharp as you'd see in Olmec art and those stayed totally still as giant cottony ones which changed by the second but each second looked just like something or other RACED by at probably 100+ mph. In the misdle, a giant disk shaped cotton fluff stin stationary that my cabbie AND I both know we saw something begin to poke out the side then move to correct it's stealthly hover.

That was crazy so was last night a totally overcast sky and not one star in the sky. Two giat ligts so bright though which I video taped I now have heard said were Xronos and Zeffs/Dias..sorry whats the silly way...like the fraterniy Greek alphabet...tee hee hee...oh yea Krownos and Zoooos......sorry....my crud.. Jupiter ....and.....Saturn. First time I ever saw them. Thats funny. Lots of coo coo ness in the sky lately.
edit on 6/17/2019 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subsonic
Interesting. If the theory is correct that these are formed from increased dust and micro-meteorites, and we're experiencing a record breaking amount of them at the moment, perhaps that means we're going to have an especially active Beta Taurids meteor shower in the coming days.

The Beta Taurids run from early June through mid-July, with a peak in late June, and are associated with the remnants of the Comet Encke.

To go just a bit further down that rabbit hole, Graham Hancock is a proponent of the theory that it was a fragment of the Comet Encke that hit Earth 12,800 years ago on the North American ice sheet, causing the Younger Dryas climate catastrophe, and is likely the source of the flood myths and the disappearance of Atlantis. Maybe we need to keep an eye on the heavens in the coming weeks?

This still is a conspiracy site after all, isn't it?

"Next month, astronomers will scan the Beta Taurid meteor shower in search of asteroids that might someday threaten a potentially catastrophic collision with Earth.

A new study, soon to be published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, suggests that the Beta Taurid meteor stream may camouflage dangerous space rocks.

The Beta Taurid is a stream of meteoroids that regularly produces a modest display of meteors each year in late June, and the idea is that embedded within it may be some much larger chunks that might possibly pose a danger to Earth. Canadian astronomers David Clark, Paul Wiegert and Peter Brown at Western University speculate that there could be a connection between the Beta Taurid meteor stream and the massive airburst that occurred over Tunguska, Russia, in June 1908. "
www.space.com...
edit on 17-6-2019 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
those are eerily beautiful. i never tire of looking at the sky. it's a whole other landscape.

posted on Jun, 18 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

"Next month, astronomers will scan the Beta Taurid meteor shower in search of asteroids that might someday threaten a potentially catastrophic collision with Earth.

A new study, soon to be published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, suggests that the Beta Taurid meteor stream may camouflage dangerous space rocks.

The Beta Taurid is a stream of meteoroids that regularly produces a modest display of meteors each year in late June, and the idea is that embedded within it may be some much larger chunks that might possibly pose a danger to Earth. Canadian astronomers David Clark, Paul Wiegert and Peter Brown at Western University speculate that there could be a connection between the Beta Taurid meteor stream and the massive airburst that occurred over Tunguska, Russia, in June 1908. "
www.space.com...

Good article, thanks. I didn't know about the possible connection between the Beta Taurids and the Tunguska event, that's interesting. Also interesting that it happened in June. I had read recently that when scientists looked at the Younger Dryas 'Black Mat', a layer of soil deposited at the point of the hypothesized impact that set off the Younger Dryas period, that they found pollen from plants that only bloom in early summer. Meaning the impact event 12,800 years ago must have happened sometime in June as well. Creepy...
edit on 18-6-2019 by Subsonic because: (no reason given)

join