It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bosses pocket Trump tax windfall as workers see job promises vanish

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: Nyiah
I certainly could have told people that much. Same with the auto plants that have shut down. And the retail chains that have laid off or went belly-up. Big tax break didn't help those folks either, did it?

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: Willtell

Lost his call center job of 20 years?

This is as entry level as it gets. In fact, this is the job that the folks fresh of the boat flock to. No job skills required. It would be more difficult to acquire a job at McDonalds than a call center.

Not exactly. Depends on what he was DOING. My brother had a call center job for a number of years after his previous employer went toes up, so you're going to assume it was just lazy entry level settling, right?

He was one of their IT guys. But, replying to "So, where do you work, man?" and answering with "I work at a call center" always got a sneer from people, because like you, they assumed all that goes into a call center is just answering phones or cold-calling out. Not the case, there's more there than just call wranglers.

I use to work for hp and when we called support, strangely, all of a sudden, we’d get a guy with a Philippine or Indian accent always named George or Pete, or James…some simple FAKE American name.

Who were they fooling?
Practically all the IT help desk jobs in America have been shipped overseas where they can pay people less than half of what they paid the American IT workers. It's pitiful.

Very true, and entirely too commonplace anymore. The call center eventually outsourced IT to India. His first employer, an IT firm, did, too. His second IT employer tried to stay stateside and folded (bad business choices more than pay issues) Then the call center job for a few years before they shipped the work overseas.
He's working for a medical practice now, keeping their system running smoothly. At this point, he's a bit jaded.

The hold-outs still employing stateside for IT are a minority. Hands-down.
edit on 6/16/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

With your OP you have removed any remaining doubt as to the extent of your brainwashing by the main stream media.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
OP: You are just trying to find an easy excuse to blame your situation on Trump instead of where the blame should be. On high taxing democrats! Freedom removing and higher taxing democrats are the reason you suck, because you enable them and blame Trump.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
OP: You are just trying to find an easy excuse to blame your situation on Trump instead of where the blame should be. On high taxing democrats! Freedom removing and higher taxing democrats are the reason you suck, because you enable them and blame Trump.

The sun comes up..Willtell blames Trump.
It rains....Willtell blames Trump.
Willtell has an unusually large bowel movement.....Willtell blames Trump.
Does anyone see a pattern there?
edit on 16-6-2019 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Trickle down economics is the greatest lie of the age.

Serfdom. The original trickle down economics.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

With your OP you have removed any remaining doubt as to the extent of your brainwashing by the main stream media.

Just so we're clear, how did Trumps tax plan effect you?

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

So this isn't happening? Must be nice to live in a world where you can just ignore anything and everything that doesn't fit your preconceived notions. Plenty of businesses were doing great under Obama as well but those don't count in your worldview, do they?
edit on 6/16/2019 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Says the guy who ignores Trump selling weapons to terrorists and giving a trillion dollar handout to the very same people that have been undermining our political process for decades. Why? Because the media complained about Trump getting two scoops of ice cream instead of one. Seems like the media has brainwashed YOU into ignoring anything bad about Trump.

"Orange man good".

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Says the guy who ignores Trump selling weapons to terrorists and giving a trillion dollar handout to the very same people that have been undermining our political process for decades. Why? Because the media complained about Trump getting two scoops of ice cream instead of one. Seems like the media has brainwashed YOU into ignoring anything bad about Trump.

"Orange man good".

Your tribal liberalism sucks - there is LITERALLY nothing that compares to the filthy hatred espoused by your dear leaders who give you your daily instructions on how to deal with a Trump presidency.

Here's a concept you should try - think for yourself instead of parroting MSM talking points

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I don’t like the way the title and the first couple paragraphs clash .

This implies things are bad on a national scale .

Yet in the first couple paragraphs it clearly says no new jobs will be lost .

Smith and about 90 of his colleagues were offered severance packages or the option to relocate to Georgia or Tennessee. But for most workers who have spouses with their own careers, elderly parents nearby in need of care, or children still in school, relocating on a whim isn’t an option.

But the mention of Stephen Smith made every liberal’s heart go pitter patter .

Guys if you ain’t paying attention. Crap like this is how they’re manipulating you .

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I've heard that same paragraph so many times it's not even funny. Literally not a single original thought came from it. Is there one in your head though? If you do you haven't shown it in a very long while.

"Orange man good".

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Is it possible that high taxes up North is pushing those AT&T jobs to Tennessee and Georgia? Perhaps it’s not corporate greed, but fiscal responsibility. Paying high taxes for no discernible services isn’t responsible.

No, that’s not it.
Big greedy companies for years have been moving to the south where those ignorant hillbillies hate unions.

They tried to get me to go to Tennessee’s 20 years ago at GM. I told them to take a hike.

They are still doing it to get away from unions and people with common sense

They want to go where the biggest slave mentality in America exists…the south.

My uncle is part of a union up in Ohio. He hates it. Says all they do is demand more money for very little in return. Try and protest it, and they'll ruin you. Nothing you can do since they've got the monopoly on labor thanks to political donations.

So benevolent. I'm sure there are many out there that feel the same way.

I'd rather be a slave to a career, instead of a slave to a career and a leech of an organization telling me they're taking even more of my money for my own good. But yeah, we're the ones without common sense.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
I don’t like the way the title and the first couple paragraphs clash .

This implies things are bad on a national scale .

Yet in the first couple paragraphs it clearly says no new jobs will be lost .

Smith and about 90 of his colleagues were offered severance packages or the option to relocate to Georgia or Tennessee. But for most workers who have spouses with their own careers, elderly parents nearby in need of care, or children still in school, relocating on a whim isn’t an option.

But the mention of Stephen Smith made every liberal’s heart go pitter patter .

Guys if you ain’t paying attention. Crap like this is how they’re manipulating you .

AT&T is offering a relocation allowance as well.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

That might explain why only 18% of the 1,001 registered voters surveyed by Hill-HarrisX late last week said they paid less taxes in 2018 than in 2017. Twice as many said their taxes hadn’t changed at all, and 32% said they paid more. In other words, 68% of those surveys said the well-hyped tax cuts didn’t help them, and may have made things worse.

Another example of Trumps hasty, giveaway to the rich tax cut that most ordinary people didn't benefit.

For the first time in my life, the tax man sends me the wrong amount. Cut my return in half! Oh, they sent me a letter saying, we're sorry we'll send you the rest later.
www.latimes.com...

never have the American people been bamboozled like this experience of this FAKE tax cut.

Did you pay IN the same amount as before the cuts ?

I notice you have ignored my question.
How about an answer ?

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I've heard that same paragraph so many times it's not even funny. Literally not a single original thought came from it. Is there one in your head though? If you do you haven't shown it in a very long while.

"Orange man good".

I think at this point if you are looking for any original thought from the Trump camp you're going to be left wanting. All I ever see is the same party line over and over. All while accusing others of being brainwashed. Lol.

The majority of right wing posters here are pretty much interchangeable.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

"Orange man good".

I think at this point if you are looking for any original thought from the Dem camp you're going to be left wanting. All I ever see is the same party line over and over. All while accusing others of being brainwashed. Lol.

The majority of left wing posters here are pretty much interchangeable.

FTFY.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I am not sure that the tax break is related at all to these job losses. A company needs to be competitive and they may be getting rid of regular employees and hiring some businesses to do the call centers. Basically subbing out some of the jobs which does not mean there is a reduction of jobs, just a change of employers doing those jobs. That is common these days, big corporations farm out some work to other businesses.

The company doing the call service for AT&T may pay better or worse, hopefully it is not a person from India on the other end of the line when I call. AT&T has been shifting their work force to subcontractors over the last thirty years, this is just one step. We have a call center here, it subs for multiple companies to follow up on various issues the companies have. My nephew worked for them for a while doing warrantee service work for some companies, setting up repairs and replacement products or just teaching people how to fix their problems over the phone.

I guess this is the new way things work here in the USA.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

As they say, there’s a sucker born every minute, and those who number one voted for the Liar in Chief, Donald Trump and the saps that fell for his phony suck the ass of the rich tax cut are two examples of suckers.

You’ve been conned!

AT&T’s CEO, Randall Stephenson, promised in November 2017 to invest $1bn in capital expenditure and create 7,000 new jobs at the company if Trump’s hugely controversial tax cut bill passed. Many opponents had slammed the cuts as a corporate giveaway that benefited the super-rich. But big firms lobbied for it, saying – as AT&T did – that it would fund job-creating expansions.
The bill was voted into law in December 2017, reducing the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%. AT&T’s benefit was a tax windfall of $21bn and an additional estimated $3bn annually. But instead of creating jobs and increasing investment into the company, AT&T has eliminated 23,328 jobs since the tax cut bill was passed, according to a recent report by the Communications Workers of America. The CWA also said AT&T reduced their capital investments by $1.4bn.

So looking at the real numbers (Google is your friend) AT&T had 254,000 employees in 2017, at the end of 2018 that increased to 268,220 with a net gain of 14,000...double the 7,000 number the CEO gave. When you say eliminated 22,228 jobs I don't doubt that is correct, but it is also just an agenda driven cheery picking of data. We do not know what those jobs were..Call centers in India? Jobs that are now automated? Who knows... But it is safe to say they transferred or created new jobs of well over 22,000 to get the over all net gain of 14,000.

Also your story of jobs cut is actually a great story. AT&T cut jobs that are not needed, BUT they worked to provide new jobs AND to provide severance packages, and you say they are evil for this? The "I can't move to where the jobs are" is a true failure in logic as people who say this assume the jobs need to go to them....

One thing we do know. There's a lot of suckers in the United States

I agree, anyone that actually believe what you write is truly a sucker

edit on 16-6-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: underwerks

"Orange man good".

I think at this point if you are looking for any original thought from the Dem camp you're going to be left wanting. All I ever see is the same party line over and over. All while accusing others of being brainwashed. Lol.

The majority of left wing posters here are pretty much interchangeable.

FTFY.

Of course you think you did.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join