It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Valdosta Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So I have decided to take a job that will have me moving to south Georgia.

I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of the city that I should know before I get there.

I will be working on the military base so pay should be more than I need to handle the area, housing costs ,crime, fun things to do for a family.

Ill be going no matter what, but any real information will just help me make better choices (I hope) during the chaos of a move.

Cant wait to put my hands on the A-10, Ill get to finish my military career there and will bookend that career having worked the Buff to start and the A-10 to finish, 2 of the best Airframes the USAF has been trying to kill for the entire 20 years Ive been in.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

One of the poorest cities in America, per capita. And hot as hell.

I hope you enjoy GA tho!

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PurpleFox

Only need it for 2 years to finish my masters degree, then it will be time to change jobs and move into the office job life where we will then move to an area that we want to live till retirement. (hopefully)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

We use to call the Buff the Flying Pig, when I was at Griffiss AFB in the early 90's.
They were talking about getting rid of her then also. She is time tested, and has persevered.

The A10 is too reliable to get rid of. What would they replace it with?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I remember when driving down to visit my grandparents in FL (from the ATL metro area) as a kid, we could always smell Valdosta 20 miles out.

I hadn't thought about that in years. From what I remember being told, I think it was paper mills that were producing the stench.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Hehe not to worried about the smell, the smell of slurry in germany didn't bother me, I imagine I can get used to paper mills (if they are still running).

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
It is hot . No different than Florida , though
Nice city , low cost of living . good people
Proprty crime rate a bit high , but that all depends on where you live.

Moody , huh ?
Used to be one of the more "relaxed" USAF bases.

All in all , I think it is one of the better locations in Georgia
(shhh , not as good as where I am. Nothing ever is)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Hot and humid. Poor. Run down.

It's not the South people talk about. The people aren't hospitable. I have a very negative view of the whole town.

Main problem is Interstate 75 runs up out of Florida through there, making it a huge drug running corridor. And the police are all absolute jerks because of it.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Excallibacca

Got it so like when I lived in bossier city Louisiana.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
So I have decided to take a job that will have me moving to south Georgia.

I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of the city that I should know before I get there.

I will be working on the military base so pay should be more than I need to handle the area, housing costs ,crime, fun things to do for a family.

Ill be going no matter what, but any real information will just help me make better choices (I hope) during the chaos of a move.

Cant wait to put my hands on the A-10, Ill get to finish my military career there and will bookend that career having worked the Buff to start and the A-10 to finish, 2 of the best Airframes the USAF has been trying to kill for the entire 20 years Ive been in.

Congratulations, Irish!

Valdosta should have a pretty reasonable cost of living.

Haven't been there in decades, myself.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Valdosta is the speed trap capital of the south. Like, how much money you got boy?

On a side note a friend of mine stop for the night and he and his lady partied like a rock star. He is persona non grata in Valdosta for the rest of his life.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

AFSC?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

AFSC?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:37 PM
link   
AFSC?

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I have a good friend with a son in college there. It’s not too bad. Mostly college and military focused. It is hot and just small. But you could do worse and the beach isn’t too far.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Valdosta isn't that bad.

It's also not that good.

As others have suggested - one could move Valdosta to north or central Florida and nobody would notice.

There are basically two seasons per year in Valdosta / Southern Georgia...

1) Unbearably hot and humid.
2) Slightly less hot but with massively increased humidity.

In the spring, fall and sometimes even the dead of winter these two seasons can fluctuate from day to day. It's not terribly uncommon to spend a day in air conditioning, drenched in sweat only to wake up the next morning to frost.

On the bright side - Georgia is largely an incredibly beautiful state. I moved here 3 decades ago and though I've moved away twice in that time I always come back because there's nowhere else quite like it.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: lowballer

Crew chief

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I am also completely unwelcome in that town, thanks to the lies of an ex.

I'm about 90 miles away.

new topics

top topics

join