It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart delivers angry speech to congress for lack of attendance to 9/11 first responders bill.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I think you've made the best points for Devils advocate thus far.... And I hear and understand you. I just disagree.

I don't think this would be a big issue if insurance was doing their part. And if all this bill does is cover medical bills, I'm OK with that.

We just have a bad habit for letting those who serve us down, and we need to get better at that.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
And yes, it can be a slippery slope, but we can throw some bones once in a while.

We are certainly a society of insane abundance and frivolous amusements. Even adding it to the budget would only increase it by a relatively tiny amount. If they can budget in looking for UFOs, they can kick a few bucks to some poor slob who ate a lot of concrete dust digging corpses out of the rubble nearly 20 years ago.

People will spend $100 bucks on a nosebleed seat at a football game but then bitch about the government passing out some freshly printed money to help somebody with problems.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

And yes, it can be a slippery slope, but we can throw some bones once in a while.

Let me know if when you do. I'll be the first to commend you.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSteppenwolf

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: TheSteppenwolf

My position is perfectly defensible.

You position is calling them beggars and name-calling those who disagree.

Right out of a certain playbook that you would otherwise criticize as being "left".

That's a lie. My position is that petitioning the government is the very least one can do to help these people, that if you want to help you actually have to help.

But that's not what you said.

You called Stewart and by extension the first-responders with him beggars and foot stompers. Then you proceeded to call me a dependent. I don't depend on government for anything.

You're just name calling and looking down your egotistical nose at anyone who disagrees with you.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Actually we are agreeing pretty much.

I do think this should have all been on the insurers shoulders, but I have zero issue with the help being given.

It was not a normal foreseeable event, so there is no real protocol to follow.

I see it passed the committee unanimously and even though it was unanimous, Schiff is trying to make it a partisan issue and milk it. By next week it will be yea they voted for it, but they didn't mean it.

I think they need to have John Dean in to testify.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

My position is perfectly defensible.

You position is calling them beggars and name-calling those who disagree.

Right out of a certain playbook that you would otherwise criticize as being "left".

That's a lie. My position is that petitioning the government is the very least one can do to help these people, that if you want to help you actually have to help.

But that's not what you said.

You called Stewart and by extension the first-responders with him beggars and foot stompers. Then you proceeded to call me a dependent. I don't depend on government for anything.

You're just name calling and looking down your egotistical nose at anyone who disagrees with you.

I figured, since you called my position a "load of crap" and "bull# on its face", that you'd be able to take as good as you can give it. But no. You got defensive because I asked what it was you've done to help these people.

You don't depend on the government for anything—unless it's about "doing the right thing".

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You don't depend on the government for anything—unless it's about "doing the right thing".

Which would be compensating people in service to their country during the opening shots of an 18 year long war.

A little context goes a long way.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My opinion of this man has nothing to do with the truth of his words. Its not the person, its the message. And this message is clearly 100% correct.

It's a sad state of affairs when people base their opinion of a message on the messenger. Even when people disagree on most everything, there's usually some common ground somewhere where good can be done. For example, I despise Donald Trump as a person and a politician but there are issues we can come together on just as I'm sure that somewhere you could find an issue that you agree with Hillary Clinton on.
edit on 12-6-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

The dependency on government on full display. Nobody will help these people because they've bought the lie that the government should solve it, yet the government won't.

And what exactly are they supposed to do on their own? Do you know how much their medical care costs? Not a single one of them can afford to pay it on their own, for proper treatment you’re taking several hundred thousand dollars per person per year.

I suppose they can do what Jon Stewart does: stomp their feet and beg those in power.

There are charities, volunteer opportunities, and other projects picking up the slack where the government won't. There is nothing but our own dependency on the government stopping us from helping.

The most successful charities end up with being able to spend 1% on something that the government can. 9/11 first responders are far from that number. Claiming those pick up the slack, is sticking your head in the sand. There are about 46,000 veterans organizations in the US, they raise a collective $1.6 billion annually for vets. The VA alone spends $220 billion per year on vets and vets get more charity assistance than just about anyone.

Individuals will not help, only government can do this.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I expect to see Stewart running for office soon. He's being pushed to run for President right now. I refuse to believe he's in it entirely for the victims. Celebrities never are.

Very unlikely. Jon Stewart absolutely despises our political process (the corruption part, not the democracy part), it's why he quit his show. He couldn't take the BS that goes on any longer. Go watch his interview with David Alxelrod when he's speaking to a bunch of political science majors. He basically told them that if they continue down that path they're all going to become scum. He has causes that are important to him, and he advocates for them as a private citizen with the money to do some good.

In addition to that, he has been there for these people since the beginning. It's easy to forget but he's the entire reason we even have relief for 9/11 first responders as is. He pushed Congress to do it initially, and several years ago when it was going to be cut off he recruited members of Congress (Kristin Gillibrand inparticular) to lobby and keep it going.
edit on 12-6-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Actually, here is how it is being reported...

The House Judiciary Committee unanimously passed a bill that would permanently reauthorize the 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund on Wednesday, the day after comedian Jon Stewart gave impassioned testimony in support of the bill in video that quickly went viral.

MSN Article

So smart play by Jon because he's getting the credit even though it would have passed that way anyways... wonder if he is thinking about politics.

edit on 12-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I live and grew up in Queens, NY. I watched the buildings burn from my middle school window. These first responders are some of the bravest members of our society. No where in their oath did they swear to give their lives to defend human life. But these fine people, felt compelled to act otherwise and infact put themselves on the line to save 100's that would have been otherwise killed in the attack.

That's how many first responders died AFTER the attack, while trying to save people. That's how many people won't be going home because they felt somebodies life was more worth saving than their own. These are real life heroes. Not the ones you see in the movies that gets an audience of applause. These are people that do this daily and expect nothing but dignity and a paycheck.

NY first responders and first responders all around the nation should be lifted to the highest degree of gratitude and appreciation for their service to this country. And this is NOT a NY issue. This is a national issue...This was a terrorist attack against people that never even heard of Al Qaeda.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   

LOL another liberal puke asking for more tax money in the guise a of a grieving washed up so called comedian,how pathetic does it get,wonder what is really going on

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 06:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

LOL another liberal puke asking for more tax money in the guise a of a grieving washed up so called comedian,how pathetic does it get,wonder what is really going on

It could have been Tucker Carlson or anyone else there saying the same thing, and here I'd be with the same opinion.

I'm honest enough to be aware of Stewart's politics, and I'm mature enough to not let that make me disagree with him on something I believe he's right on.

I think pathetic is when people let partisan politics bleed into every aspect of society, even if the fact that there is two ideologies is completely irrelevant to the subject at hand.. The tax money is a drop in the bucket, and these people are going through some suffering for the attack on our country.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Conspiracy theories aside, this speaks volumes about where our government is at.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   
And for those praising Jon so much, let's not forget he's a major player in Hollywood. And if you've done your research , you know what is required of them. Pure evil.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRealSolarPanel
And for those praising Jon so much, let's not forget he's a major player in Hollywood. And if you've done your research , you know what is required of them. Pure evil.

Evil is hanging ailing 9/11 first responders out to dry for 'fiscal' reasons, but major political donators get the Medal of Freedom Award.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Look, I'm not as far left as he is... And his show was satire and should have been taken as such. But the guys seems genuine, and if you watch his interviews when he's not in character, you can see that he actually has passion in his beliefs.

I've seen man in this thread bash him just because he leans to one side, implying that he can't be listened to just because he has a bias (like we all do). But when it comes to this cause in particular, he is willing to give credit where credit is due, even if that's on the other side of the aisle.

(video from Feb)

Not everyone involved with showbiz is evil.
edit on 13-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't like Hollywierd much either, but this is an infantile way to view any subject.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Which would be compensating people in service to their country during the opening shots of an 18 year long war.

A little context goes a long way.

Service to the city of which they are employees. A little context.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join