It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart delivers angry speech to congress for lack of attendance to 9/11 first responders bill.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

They can sit on many committees and subcommittees at the same time and duties overlap. The full committee meets tomorrow I think and that's where the the witnesses should have been there.

Stewart did have a point, but he should have complained they did not have the witnesses for the full committee. He's only there for the camera's and he's not actually a victim. I'd frankly rather celebrities not use causes to promote themselves. I'd like to have heard a lot more from the victims and there should have been zero celebrities there.

If you watch it you will notice they were given very little time to talk and not asked enough questions. This was perfunctory. It was not a hearing. The decision was already made. They needed something for the camera's.

This will pass quickly and this is likely the end of the story. It's just about extending what's already there with more funds.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I'd already heard that it would pass, which is why I was a little confused by the video until I started thinking it was just for the cameras.

Stewart did have a point and is an eloquent speaker, but as you said should have made the point to a full chamber if he wanted to be honest about it.

I'm all for the extension but it's already a done deal...

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Good idea, if you do I will definitely make a call to mine from MD.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Sorry, congress is busy with Orange Man Bad to respond to this impassioned plea for mercy.

Come back in another 5 years when all the 9/11 responders will be too sick or dead to bother congress again with their complaints.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: autopat51
just watched this..WOW
good job jon

I don't know the structure of the bill, maybe it's flawed. But our representatives better show up and explain what needs to happen to find the solution if this bill isn't it.

I don't care if you vote no so long as you propose something that can work.

Absence is a slap in the face to those who sacrificed their health for our citizens.

This post bears repeating. I feel the same way.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Thanks for shedding some light on the matter Blaine.

While that definitely adds some hope go the matter, it still eats me up these men and women didn't get acknowledged and their voices heard more. I do see your point on celebrities, but I think Jon brought some attention to this.

I hope congress does the right thing and this is the end of it. But from the sounds of everything, this buck has been passed around before.

Here's to hoping.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

originally posted by: autopat51
just watched this..WOW
good job jon

I don't know the structure of the bill, maybe it's flawed. But our representatives better show up and explain what needs to happen to find the solution if this bill isn't it.

I don't care if you vote no so long as you propose something that can work.

Absence is a slap in the face to those who sacrificed their health for our citizens.

This post bears repeating. I feel the same way.

Thanks man. It was rough to see some of our battered heros go to a reception with so many representatives missing. I hope some of the statements in here about this bill being a shoe in are true, but the fact these men and women were worried enough to travel speaks to their confidence or lack there of.

They should have been met by every congressman and woman. There should have been nothing other than solidarity and assurance conveyed other than open ears from the members.

When I call the offices tomorrow, I've decided to ask whomever picks up what was so important yesterday they had to miss this. One of the most horrific attacks in our countries history, how are we not sending a message to those who responded to it while our message abroad will send shock waves into history?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Old saying.
"Out of sight, out of mind"

After this they then had a luxury lunch to discuss how they can stop it happening again.
How dare heroes make these entitled borderline inbred scum feel bad..

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
One thing I forgot, much like with veteran issues first responders are not a big enough spending bloc to bother putting serious effort into helping.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This should help congress with their national approval rating.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Oh that guy that used to do that funny show?

So that makes his opinion less than anybody else? Like say a reality tv host? or an old actor?...

What do you do for a living? ohh your opinion means nothing....

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
What's trump saying or doing about any of this?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

No
As opposed to a politician whose job it is to allocate money for our injured first responders.
Sad that it takes a retired talk show host to take congress to task for not doing their jobs.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 08:50 PM
link   

edit on 11-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Alright, I'm going to help you guys out by grabbing a spinning object and holding it for you to see but only for a second because it might cut my hands off.

After reading an article on Fox News about it after originally seeing a CNN article about it (that's what I do) and concuring with the commenters on Fox, I have determined what's going on here.

Jon Stewart is a liberal activist that uses his fame to instigate problems on Capitol Hill. Emotional acting coupled with well shaped facial hair and a following of women from his comedy career. The majority of women are naturally liberal btw. There were only 2 congressmen missing, a democrat and a republican.

He still took the opportunity to make a play out of it and get upset for the 9/11 responders even though the funding would've been approved anyway. He made veiled attacks at conservatives because only conservatives don't want or make it slow and difficult to pay people who deserve it like victims and blue collar workers.

It was a big show for nothing to secure already secured funding. Who really gained from this? They might be dead in a few years. Um, ok? The system is already desensitized to that.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I can't believe that the nation, and our leaders are mute on this subject. I think it's beyond sad and disheartening that we have one of our satirists filling in the place of much of the "media" and our leaders. It's so utterly disgusting that I have a hard time not being more colorful in my opinion on it... So I'll leave OP to that and let you all make your minds up for yourself.

Many years ago, he was the driving force behind some other 9/11 first responder bills. He ended up lobbying Kristin Gillibrand to get it done.

I know his politics aren't too popular on this site, but NYC is important to him, as are the people who were there on 9/11, and he has been a huge advocate for them since 2001. The sad thing is, he shouldn't have to be. Taking care of those people should go without saying.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Eff yes, Jon Stewart. "These people did their jobs. 18 years later? Do yours!"

I thought his speech was fantastic. I hate to say this but a few times I wondered if the tears were forced for show, but even if they were, so what.

Sick of our elected representatives having no accountability.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I just sent an email to my senators and congressman to support this legislation. Please do the same.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I welled up listening to him.

They don't make them like that anymore.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I didn't even make it to the 2 minute mark before my eyes started leaking and it became difficult to swallow!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join