It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jon Stewart delivers angry speech to congress for lack of attendance to 9/11 first responders bill.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So how do you distinguish the 911 diseases from the one they get from running into burning building during their 20 year careers?

Should we have to?

How about we bite the bullet and throw them a bone.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

So how do you distinguish the 911 diseases from the one they get from running into burning building during their 20 year careers?

You don't...

This is one of those special circumstances where the feds just need to man up and take care of it....

I'm sure NPR or some other boondoggle can do without the funds.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Congress doesn't have time for this, they need to figure out how to make the country believe they deserve a pay raise.

I wish people would listen to this before they head out to vote next time. Think about who are you voting for the be part of Congress.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Let congress do without their pay raises. We can start there.

edit on 11-6-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Should we have to?

My dad was a Korean War veteran and I'm sure you've heard stories about how the VA is operated.
The government has done a bang up job with mental health issues returning soldiers are facing.

I think there are a lot of bones needing thrown.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Should we have to?

How about we cut back on the money used to fund illegal aliens benefits. These men and women deserve it more.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   
that video should be shared on every single social media platform and used to hammer the crud out of both parties that love to say they support the first responders yet cant be bothered to show up.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I've always been an advocate if you can't take care of your vets, then you can't afford the war.

If these pieces of sh## get paid 175,000 a year, they need to allocate money to people who put their lives on the line.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

All for it.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"Jon Stewart tears Congress a new asshole"

Powerful stuff - you don't get better than that when it comes to delivering a very poignant message to a bunch of oxygen thieving career politicians.

I loved the bit where he said that the chamber should be flipped and it should be the first responders leading the chair and Congress in the public arena having to answer the questions.

Jon is right - Congresses lack of action for the 9/11 1st responders is a disgusting stain on the morality of America - so the fact that 18 years later still nothing has happened is a total embarrassment and a pure reflection of all the past Administrations and their #-you attitude towards the citizens.

Jon Stewart = 1
Congress = 0 (as usual)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You should watch the entire thing on CSpan to get the whole story.

Cohen (D) ended up scolding Stewart and reminding him they were meeting with a subcommittee and the empty chairs were supposed to be empty. Then Cohen changes the subject and rants about the tax bill and starts campaigning. Of course the tax bill has nothing whatsoever to do with this. They are just trying to make excuses. It's a dog and pony show for the camera's. The bill was already going to pass easily.

The Bill is already going to pass nearly unanimously, if not unanimously, so it's not really an issue of whether it will pass or not. It will and it will pass easily.

They are not just talking about first responders, they are talking about money for anyone who suspects their health issue is 9/11 related.

Full committee meets tomorrow, of course without the witnesses.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I think it has to do with the respiratory illness' that arose literally months after the incident. You have to remember, even just a simple CT scan can reveal the difference between just over exposure to smoke inhalation to the dust and crap they breathed in that day or days.

But it does raise a question for me, how many civilians have gotten sick who were in the immediate area trying to run from the death cloud.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

so the fact that 18 years later still nothing has happened is a total embarrassment

Things have been done. This, today, was about extension of the compensation. VCF (Victims Compensation Fund) for First Responders was set up then closed in 2003. It was then reopened and is addressed every five years.

This explains it better.

The September 11th Victims Compensation Fund, or “VCF,” was reopened in 2011 by the James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act originally for five years and then extended for another five years in 2015, to provide compensation for economic losses and harm to injured and ill 9/11 Responders and Survivors. The VCF will allow individuals who became ill or have passed away since the original VCF closed at the end of 2003 to be compensated for economic damages and losses stemming from their physical injuries.

With the reauthorization of the James Zadroga Act, the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund will remain open until 2020 and has a total funding of over 7.3 billion dollars.

The VCF is run by the U.S. Department of Justice under the direction of Special Master, Sheila Birnbaum. There are specific deadlines to register for and to file completed claims to the reopened Victim Compensation Fund.

From what I am reading and hearing now, there has been some shenanigans in the program where people are making false claims, etc. This fraud and abuse needs to be addressed, but, meantime, those that deserve the extended compensation should be able to get it.

edit on 11-6-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Nobody cares about the civilians.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Should we have to?

I second that. We do a similar thing for servicemembers. When we get out, we can claim pretty much any medical condition we've developed while we were in the service, as long as it's properly documented. We don't have to prove it was actually related to our service. Caveats like that are how the government used to screw us. Does anyone really trust the government to make that determination?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Maybe if one house of congress wasn't too busy making sure "she" has her turn...

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Its funny and sad but that statement is very true...

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

When we get out, we can claim pretty much any medical condition we've developed while we were in the service, as long as it's properly documented.

And I hope it stays that way. Our boys in the service and returning vets deserve more, but at the very least we need to make sure keeping up with their health isn't a concern

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

loved the bit where he said that the chamber should be flipped and it should be the first responders leading the chair and Congress in the public arena having to answer the questions.

That was my favorite part too. I appreciated his show sometimes, and have never aligned with him on politics, but that man can speak when he's being serious. He has one of the best hearts in show biz IMO.

Today he kicked ass and took names with more grace than I've seen in some time.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Cohen (D) ended up scolding Stewart and reminding him they were meeting with a subcommittee and the empty chairs were supposed to be empty. Then Cohen changes the subject and rants about the tax bill and starts campaigning. Of course the tax bill has nothing whatsoever to do with this. They are just trying to make excuses. It's a dog and pony show for the camera's. The bill was already going to pass easily.

Thanks for catching that... watched the video the OP posted but wasn't going to say anything until I found the reason for the empty chairs.

Politicians have used the empty chamber backdrop before to make a point to the cameras and I was wondering if he was pulling the same BS stunt.

Most people have a vision of the House or Senate sitting in the main chamber all day and that really isn't the case at all.

Most work is done elsewhere.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join