It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana debates 'Saggy pants' law after man shoots himself

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
When it got explained this would open the door for searches on "gangsta" young males, some finally were honest and said that was a good thing.

Death by a thousand cuts- liberty.

The puritanical mamby pambies would be funny if your above comment wasn't also the case. I love the hypocrisy of the small government proponents wanting more government since they got all triggly from black people's underwear.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Why do you think this law should exist in the first place? What gives any government the right to dictate what their citizens wear?

If your pants are sagging so low they aren't covering your butt, can your really call it "wearing"?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Turn those guys in the post above yours around, remove the underwear, and their junk is free-swinging. That's indecent.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

You hear one story a month or more of our "over zealous" police even though millions of people are pulled over and/or arrested daily by these police and nothing happens.

They don't get triggered and arrest you for sagging. They see the same thing everyone else sees and ask you to pull your pants up, if you don't then you get a $50.00 fine. The guy in this particular story was a known criminal and was seen with his pants below his ass so the police were going to issue him a $50.00 fine and be on their way until he brandished a weapon and began to run. AND he shot himself. The police likely fired at him once they heard his pistol fire. Anybody would have done that once they felt their life was in grave danger.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

a reply to: LSU2018

I don't have a problem with someone carrying drugs get searched.

You should depending on what "justifies" the search in the first place.

Either way, to each their own. You have the right to your opinion, and your locality has the right to make their own laws so long as they don't violate constitutional rights (I think this one does). This is why I'll never live in the deep south though, people there are willing to give the governments more authority than they need to fit their way of life. Same reason I couldn't live in a very liberal community.

I respect that. What would you do, out of curiosity, if we did have a political split and you had to choose one side or the other? In other words, liberals get part of the country to rule and conservatives get the other?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I'm neither. I'm a rare church goer and just turned 40 a couple of months ago. From my perspective, I think it's disrespectful to women and children to see someone shuffle around with their pants around the bottom of their ass. Irishlad said it earlier, these are almost always people up to no good. You can't enter a night club around here in a hoodie or loose pants in the same city because of the fear of weapons being hidden. You don't have to wear tights, but you can't have oversized pants and you can't sag. In 2004, my friends and I went to a night club downtown. It was about 20°F that night and I had a Michigan Wolverines (college sports team) hoodie on and I had to walk several blocks back to my truck and leave it there if I wanted to go in so that's what I did, and all I had on under it was a cotton t-shirt. Had I refused, I would have had to go home or somewhere else so I did as they asked. No big deal to me. I guess in my opinion, I would do whatever I had to, to avoid trouble or a fine so if this is what the city wants then that's what I'll do, even if it meant pulling my pants up and tightening my belt so I didn't get fined for it.

Also, a plumber wouldn't get a ticket for being bent over and having plumber's crack. The police are smart enough to know the difference between those who can and can't help their pants hanging low.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LSU2018
Because it's indecent. Why do you think people should be able to wear their pants so low that their underwear can be seen?

Are we banning bikinis next? I mean some make it look like you're flossing your ass so why not ban them since it's upsetting.

It's odd how people freak over underwear but bathing suits are fine.

No. But don't think a woman can get away with flashing her undies either. If her short shorts are so short, or her skirt, that her panties can be seen then she falls under the same rule. I've yet to see a woman walking around in the market or mall in her bathing suit.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It is. Why would anyone be opposed to getting more drugs off the street, thus lowering crime?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You can be a small gov proponent and still appreciate a country of laws.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with someone carrying drugs get searched.

You should depending on what "justifies" the search in the first place.

Either way, to each their own. You have the right to your opinion, and your locality has the right to make their own laws so long as they don't violate constitutional rights (I think this one does). This is why I'll never live in the deep south though, people there are willing to give the governments more authority than they need to fit their way of life. Same reason I couldn't live in a very liberal community.

I respect that. What would you do, out of curiosity, if we did have a political split and you had to choose one side or the other? In other words, liberals get part of the country to rule and conservatives get the other?

With states and localities able to pick their own laws, is that not how it is?

I live in a moderate swing state, just how I like it.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:42 PM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

It is. Why would anyone be opposed to getting more drugs off the street, thus lowering crime?

Crime has gone up since the war on drugs. I don't have the alternative, but as it stands right now it hasn't helped.

All I know is if they were giving me more years in the locker for a victimless crime than sex offenders, I wouldn't feel inclined to be a "good citizen".

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

You think this law takes drugs off the street?..excuse me while I laugh for the next 5 minutes
edit(I shouldn't be a dick)
edit on 11-6-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: Jefferton
"Self inflicted" gunshot wound to the chest..

SURE.

Plus 3 extra bullets in him? For suspicion of pants?

Weird story/Country.

No suspicion of pants. When your pants are sagging, it's very easy to detect without suspicion. He was also armed and considered dangerous. This could have all been avoided if he would have obeyed the laws and pulled his pants up a few inches.

OK. He died because his pants were a few inches too low.
I was totally wrong.
He was being chased because he was a known criminal. He was shot at, because he was waving a gun around. He was killed by his own hand because his pants were preventing him from being agile enough to handle the firearm safely.

This is natural selection at work. If your clothes prevent you from escaping police, then i am all for it. I want criminals to act as stupid as possible.they can tie a belt around around their ankles if they want. It’s easier to take them into custody.

Damn facts. Getting all up in the way of the "racist cops" narrative. I tell ya...

That said, I think the law is silly. But the cops don't make the law. It's not their fault he was breaking the law, had a gun, posed a danger, and then tried to flee. That's a recipe to get shot no matter what your skin color is.
edit on 11 6 19 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Anyone saying he got shot for wearing saggy pants is either uninformed or straight up lying. I can only assume because you hate cops so much you want that to be the narrative. The real question is, why are you a bigot and hating cops that much?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

You think this law takes drugs off the street?..excuse me while I laugh for the next 5 minutes
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol, it's tiring laughing this much, lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol!!!!

So to clarify, you don't think a guy with a crack pipe and a cigarette box full of crack rock baggies getting arrested and getting his drugs confiscated means the police got those drugs off the street?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Doesn't make a bit of difference, do you honestly think, someone/anyone didn't get their drugs that day?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

No and that wasn't what I was saying. What I was saying is that the drugs found on the person would be drugs taken off the street.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: dfnj2015

If someone is running away from police they are NOT obeying the law.

So that means they should die?

No , but there is a simple alternative
Dont Freakin Run

edit on 6/11/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Of course.
It's just inconsequential.

I think the guy caused his own expiration, I just think the saggy pant thing is dumb, and having a law against it, almost dumber.
edit on 11-6-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think the fashion police law is as idiotic as the "fashion."

As for the guy in the story.. Yeah.. That can happen if you do that. So, try to avoid doing literally everything he did.

For those that reacted without reading, it might be prudent to understand that MANY such stories are exactly like this.

It makes it immensely difficult to examine legitimate cases of egregious police action, or in broader context, anything at all.

For example, there was a recent somewhat viral video of police engaging in a foot chase, who were then ambushed by a bystander at close range. Said bystander was then shot, though not fatally. The surrounding crowd was absolutely appalled.. At the cops. They then began to hurl insults, etc.

This reaction is then regurgitated on everything from social media to the news, with as many virtue signals as possible. Ideally contained in a nice title & subtitle. What gets written subsequently, even in that very article, rarely matters as the psychological impact has been made.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join