It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana debates 'Saggy pants' law after man shoots himself

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

None of the women walk around in bikinis unless they're swimming or sunbathing in their yards. This is NW Louisiana, lol, not the coast. Nobody wants to see underwear hanging out of your jeans.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Never seen it. Are you asking for a "friend"?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Nigga this, Nigga that. That's all we hear from them. Trashy garbage people who would be better off learning how to be a productive members of society, or in jail.

Good point, if we want them to be members of society, we should target them using laws that restrict their rights compared to ours and call them trashy garbage

Isolation rhymes with assimilation, I don't see how this can't work... Or get this police loving country to collectively lose more of our rights in the future.
edit on 11-6-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You also can't drive with your shoes off in LA. The city counsel made the sagging pants law and you're free to disobey that law, but it'll cost you a whopping, bank draining $50.00.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: LSU2018

Its a violation of our basic rights. And it has every appearance of being racist. Even beyond that, it IS racist due to the "adverse impact" rule.

Long story short: dump the law.

I, a middle aged white professional, wear baggy pants due to a medical condition.

Why does it have the appearance of being racist? Even the NAACP supports the law.

WWLTV reports that the local NAACP chapter wholeheartedly agreed with the ban. Jerome Boykin, the group's president, declared, “There is nothing positive about people wearing saggy pants. This is not a black issue, this is not a white issue, this is a people issue...

When you say you wear saggy pants, are they at the bottom of your butt or just loose? There's a huge difference. After 12 years of this law being in effect here, there's been one incident of a criminal running from police and his jostling gun going off, killing him, and now some city officials want to make him a martyr and say this is racist when it carries over to any race that is sagging.

I don't want to see someone's ass hanging out when I'm eating or down at the Boardwalk with my family and obviously I'm not the only one because this bill is largely supported by the residents of the cities that have passed it.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

That's silly.
There are denim shorts that are shorter than most boxer shorts.
There are stretch pants that are thinner than underwear.

Are we going to start policing (with force, in some cases) tank tops next?
Speedo's?
Should we arrest fat people in spandex?
Halter tops? Fish net?

I find it absolutely DISGUSTING when I see someones deodorant in their armpits.
Should we ticket people for that?
Whats next?

The gov't should not have the power to tell people how to dress

No, just keep your pants at your waistline. It couldn't be more simple.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

This is NW Louisiana, lol, not the coast. Nobody wants to see underwear hanging out of your jeans.

especially considering how hot and humid it gets in the summer time in the bossier/Shreveport area, the last thing I want to see is some dudes sweat soaked underwear.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Well at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what you want to see. I see plenty of stuff I don't want to see, one of the caveats of living in a free country.

Freedom of expression comes to mind, and really it's a cultural thing that people dislike. I'm sure lots of communities would like to ban the confederate flag, it represents something to those people that like you, they see distasteful. And while you may not understand how a pattern on fabric might put a bad taste in their mouth, I'm sure some are confused why boxer patterns bug you so much. It's the symbolism, their ass is still covered by fabric, but the fact you know it's underwear bothers you. It's no different than any other covering other than what you know it is.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with someone carrying drugs get searched.

My college GF (1998 - 2000) wore those tight stretchy yoga looking pants that were loose towards the bottom all the time.

You keep asking me about scenarios that I've never come across because people don't do it here. Underwear over jeans, bikinis under a translucent slip. I don't mind the law about sagging pants no matter who it targets. I don't mind the "stop and frisk" laws about pulling people over on suspicion either. I hate being forced to wear a seat belt but it's the law (even though it hurts nobody but me) so I wear it. I hate the speed limit on one of the main highways I take only being 55 because it's a very low traffic 10 mile stretch of long, straight, wide open road you could easily go 75 on but it's the law so I drive 55 to 60. I hate having to find an inspection station once a year for a measly inspection sticker but I still do it because it's the law.

But just like it's easy enough to put the seat belt over your left shoulder to appear buckled, it's that easy to wear a long shirt if you like your pants at the bottom of your butt. On all the other things, it's a risk to break that law so you have to do it at your own risk. I'm white and I've had a cop turn around in traffic on a 5 lane highway to pull me over for my inspection sticker, I've had them drive through the median of a 4 lane highway to pull me over for my seat belt, I've been pulled over for running through a traffic light that had just turned yellow because I sped up to keep from going through it when it was red. I've seen cops tell guys with sagging pants to pull their pants up and never issue a ticket.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yeah, freedom of expression. Funny you bring up the Confederate Flag. Fly that anywhere near these saggers and they'll throw rocks at you. They forced a Confederate statue be taken down in Shreveport even though it was on private land. Sorry man, but pulling your pants up isn't much to ask for. If we allow full freedom of expression then the next thing we know, we'll be seeing people walk around with tassels on their titty nipples and a bandaid covering their hoo-ha.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Did you bother reading the story, or even the title? The law doesn't state what you can "where," it states that you have to have your waistline at your waist and not below your butt cheeks. At that point, it becomes "illigal" and will get you a ticket. You only get arrested if you run from the cops, and you only get shot when your gun jiggles around in your pants and goes off (because it's cocked and loaded) and hits you in the chest.

Should we make speeding legal, too? Excessive noise? Domestic violence? Battery? Theft?

And somehow your saying anything different than me, your just using more words

I said it could get you arrested or shot, I did not state anywhere this guy got shot for his own choice of clothes, but it could still happen as the US police have a quicker trigger finger than most, many a story on ATS about over zealous US policing

So now I am using more words, can you confirm you have a law which states how I should wear (thank god for spell check) my pants, I say to that law (not you personally) FUDGE YOU, who makes this a law, someone from the 1930s

Arggggh a glimpse of underwear, arrest him

Do you agree with this law?, I dont but it does not affect myself, just the good citizens of Louisiana city

Not sure how I am advocating speeding and excessive noise though by thinking this is a crock of nonsense law

Bizarre world is what I say, truly bizarre

edit on 11-6-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: typo, i bet there is more

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I don't have a problem with someone carrying drugs get searched.

You should depending on what "justifies" the search in the first place.

Either way, to each their own. You have the right to your opinion, and your locality has the right to make their own laws so long as they don't violate constitutional rights (I think this one does). This is why I'll never live in the deep south though, people there are willing to give the governments more authority than they need to fit their way of life. Same reason I couldn't live in a very liberal community.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Obscene?..get f'ing real, dumb..yes!

Obscene - disgusting by accepted standards of morality and decency.

You might find that wearing your pants below your ass is an accepted standard of morality or decency, but many people do not.

No offence honestly, but are you a regular church goer, or just over 50, I am nearly 50 so please take no offence, but this seems more like a morale crusade, have you ever had a plumber, joiner (of which I am one but I wear my pants the correct way officer) bricklayer at your home, maybe its just English lads on site then, avert your eyes my friend this could get me a fine in Louisiana City

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Tempter

Nigga this, Nigga that. That's all we hear from them. Trashy garbage people who would be better off learning how to be a productive members of society, or in jail.

Good point, if we want them to be members of society, we should target them using laws that restrict their rights compared to ours and call them trashy garbage

Isolation rhymes with assimilation, I don't see how this can't work... Or get this police loving country to collectively lose more of our rights in the future.

We target this behavior because it's a symptom of the culture of crime. We also target inner city leadership programs, outreach and educational movements. It only hits home with a few, unfortunately. However, when those with a propensity to mimic this behavior see these thugs incarcerated it deters them from doing so.

It's absolutely necessary to keep laws in the books that target the symptoms and behavior of crime-creating groups. How can this even be argued against?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Because it's indecent. Why do you think people should be able to wear their pants so low that their underwear can be seen?

Are we banning bikinis next? I mean some make it look like you're flossing your ass so why not ban them since it's upsetting.

It's odd how people freak over underwear but bathing suits are fine.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
If I can't stroll around without a shirt but a guy can, then why not.

You can, the majority of states want to see your bewbs.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If I can't stroll around without a shirt but a guy can, then why not.

You can, the majority of states want to see your bewbs.

Hah!!

When I try this out and they ask I am going to tell them that a Mason said it was ok!

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I think they should turn it into a sport like the 100 yd dash.

Undies must be at least 3/4 exposed
Must hold firearm in one hand (unloaded of course)
One hand holding pants up at all times
Have designated chasers behind each runner
Clear two hurdles (varied heights)
Climb a fence 6ft in height
Dodge K9 last 50 ft

The footage I’ve seen of them running from the cops while trying to hold up their pants is hilarious. Probably the worst fashion trend a criminal could possibly wear. Stupid is as stupid does.
edit on 11-6-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

When I try this out and they ask I am going to tell them that a Mason said it was ok!

At that point you are tiger blood winning.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's odd how people freak over underwear but bathing suits are fine.

When it got explained this would open the door for searches on "gangsta" young males, some finally were honest and said that was a good thing.

Death by a thousand cuts- liberty.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join