It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana debates 'Saggy pants' law after man shoots himself

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Seriously. If pants that show the top of a person's underwear is indecent then why isn't swimwear? Is it only indecent on males? I've seen plenty of women with a whale tail and haven't heard any complaints.

I was going to point this out. I can't imagine any woman have been shot because their boobs were hanging out.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

At least you realized that we are talking about public indecency and not your strawman hat question.

I've lived in places where public nudity isn't a big deal and let me tell you, some things you can't unsee.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

Seriously. If pants that show the top of a person's underwear is indecent then why isn't swimwear? Is it only indecent on males? I've seen plenty of women with a whale tail and haven't heard any complaints.

I was going to point this out. I can't imagine any woman have been shot because their boobs were hanging out.

I've been thrown in jail for exactly that though.

Thing is I lived through it because I wasn't carrying a gun and running from the cop at the time...

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I've been thrown in jail for exactly that though.

Thing is I lived through it because I wasn't carrying a gun and running from the cop at the time...

I literally can't argue with that.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Like I said, public indecency is very subjective. A MAGA hat in a place like San Francisco could be considered very offensive. If the town council passed an ordinance that outlawed MAGA hats due to public indecency would you support that law?

Can you honestly give me one good reason why the government should be able to dictate what we wear? I mean other than the fact that certain clothing (or lack thereof) might offend those people that still cling to our Puritanical roots like a life raft.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Lumenari

I went through my teenage years in the 90's and the style for the young generation in that era was baggy jeans, but we never let the waistline hang down to the butt crack.

I work in the city next to Shreveport and we have sagging laws, too, and the residents don't seem to have a problem obeying the laws here. We're also not a third world city like Shreveport though.

I wore baggy jeans, but showing off your underwear and skidmarks was never "in style".

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
wait, what, A law states what you can where, I take it these clothes must be illigal to sell then?, and American members try to mock the UK for the police handing in a spoon, at least nobody died because of our laws

This is simply abhorrent, wear our government appoved clothes and you will not be arrested or shot, is it April 1st it must be

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: dfnj2015

If someone is running away from police they are NOT obeying the law.

So that means they should die?

He didn’t get shot for simply sagging, or even just for running. He was brandishing a firearm at police while trying to be detained. The police knew who he was. They knew he was dangerous and not allowed to have weapons.

The guy shot himself because he was holding his pants with one hand and holding a gun in the other.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
How do they determine when pants cross over from relaxed or loose into "saggy?"

Lol, seriously? Surely you can tell the difference between pants sitting at your waistline and pants that are below your butt cheeks. This isn't about loose pants.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Yeah, especially since kids like wearing those nuthugger skinny jeans now with their butt exposed.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
"I'm a conservative and support the constitution!"

"If your pants sag and reveal a different pattern of fabric, I don't like that and the police should be able to intervene"

Lol.... Can't make this sh## up.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

My thoughts exactly.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

"Self inflicted" gunshot wound to the chest..

SURE.

Plus 3 extra bullets in him? For suspicion of pants?

Weird story/Country.

No suspicion of pants. When your pants are sagging, it's very easy to detect without suspicion. He was also armed and considered dangerous. This could have all been avoided if he would have obeyed the laws and pulled his pants up a few inches.

OK. He died because his pants were a few inches too low.
I was totally wrong.
He was being chased because he was a known criminal. He was shot at, because he was waving a gun around. He was killed by his own hand because his pants were preventing him from being agile enough to handle the firearm safely.

This is natural selection at work. If your clothes prevent you from escaping police, then i am all for it. I want criminals to act as stupid as possible.they can tie a belt around around their ankles if they want. It’s easier to take them into custody.
edit on 11-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Well, you'd get ticketed if you were wearing a MAGA hat and sagging, and I support being ticket for it, so there's that.
edit on 11-6-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

What about flip flops in public? They can open up the city to liability if you slip on the sidewalks, also if your feet smell it could be indecent.

link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

SURE.

Weird story/Country.

No suspicion of pants. When your pants are sagging, it's very easy to detect without suspicion. He was also armed and considered dangerous. This could have all been avoided if he would have obeyed the laws and pulled his pants up a few inches.

I was totally wrong.
He was being chased because he was a known criminal. He was shot at, because he was waving a gun around. He was killed by his own hand because his pants were preventing him from being agile enough to handle the firearm safely.

That is exactly true. I think the saggy pants portion if the story is a bit distracting from the actual facts.

link   

So then let's extrapolate this out further, if you're okay if local governments want to ultimately limit free speech by restricting clothing options, then you must also be okay if private business, say sites like YouTube and Twitter, want to restrict certain viewpoints being expressed.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   

People get smacked in the head with padlocks, in certain segments of society, for wearing MAGA hats. Is that the road you would rather take for sagging pants as well?

You're really moving the goalposts here.

link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

SURE.

Weird story/Country.

I was totally wrong.

That is exactly true. I think the saggy pants portion if the story is a bit distracting from the actual facts.
I think the law is there to differentiate the criminals from the rest. Criminals don’t follow laws, so it helps the police pick out the idiots.

I would compare this to seatbelt laws. It may just be an excuse to pull people over, but after a while it helps correct a bad habit that actually causes harm to the community.
edit on 11-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

link   
I have read that in the prison system, wearing trousers in such a fashion is a signal to gay inmates the the individual is available.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join