It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana debates 'Saggy pants' law after man shoots himself

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ah, so we're marys because we don't think this law is a bad idea... Gotcha. I'm all for less gov, not going to jail for a dime bag of weed for example, but there's nothing wrong with keeping citizens classy.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies
a reply to: LSU2018

i think that maybe were debating the wrong question.

a better question would be why do the police feel the need to shoot a fleeing suspect? Wouldnt a better solution be to let him run, and then to pick him up at his home or one of his usual hangouts when there is less danger of a bystander being injured

Or simply to chase him down until he runs out of breath and can be easily arrested, shootinng at him in public place seems overkill.

I haven't seen any footage, but it's more likely they started shooting after his gun fired into his chest and they couldn't tell if he was shooting at them or not.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Why does it target a certain subset of the population, because blacks are the ones who mainly sag? Sagging is sagging, it doesn't say blacks can't sag, it says nobody can sag. This is no different than giving a black person a speeding ticket for speeding. This law exists all over the country but it's law makers in Shreveport claiming it's racist. Only took them 12 years to find an excuse to end it. It's been becoming more and more blue since the 80's which would explain a decline in population almost every year since then.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 42Degrees

*their

You're just making excuses and no women here walk around in nothing but pasties and paint. There's no double standard.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Your lack of comprehension is certainly no surprise.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

If a law was passed that outlawed salmon polos and Sperry Docksiders, would you not think that the law is targeting a specific subset?

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
Ah, so we're marys because we don't think this law is a bad idea... Gotcha.

That and fretting over underwear.

I'm all for less gov...

Anyone who supports this law is not for less government, to think otherwise is oxymoronic.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You're just making excuses and no women here walk around in nothing but pasties and paint. There's no double standard.

I should post a picture from us at a work event in New Orleans on Bourbon street where the girls asking us to take pictures with them for $5 were wearing either body paint or pasties and the mounted police were on the same block.

Know why they can do that? Because going topless isn't illegal in Louisiana. At least the folks in New Orleans aren't a bunch of lame prudes looking to have the government save them from bewbs and underwear.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Why do you think this law should exist in the first place? What gives any government the right to dictate what their citizens wear?

Because it's indecent. Why do you think people should be able to wear their pants so low that their underwear can be seen?

Or their butts...

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
Know why they can do that? Because going topless isn't illegal in Louisiana. At least the folks in New Orleans aren't a bunch of lame prudes looking to have the government save them from bewbs and underwear.

Yeah, well, plenty of perverts use such laws to "expose themselves to minors." Or are there no minors in New Orleans?

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Your hypocrisy is no surprise either!

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Haha... contradictions in the same sentence... you're all for less gov, but happy to legislate "class"?

Comedy gold!

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
Yeah, well, plenty of perverts use such laws to "expose themselves to minors." Or are there no minors in New Orleans?

Oh yeah? I guess you'll have to find me some examples of those perverts exposing themselves to children. Hurry along there now my prudish friend, all of us will be waiting for the photos of women legally going topless in Louisiana.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!! (™) It could ruin their young lives if they saw a bewb.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

standards of decency that society has created to maintain personal comfort in each others presence, what you wear isn't a right and can be restricted however the state or government wants.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
...what you wear isn't a right and can be restricted however the state or government wants.

It's actually freedom of expression.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Who defines, and what exactly are "standards of decency"?

I'm personally comfortable as long as peoples' junk isn't hanging out.

I'm also fine with private establishments defining whatever dress-code they see fit. I'm not fine with government micro-managing what I wear, and making laws because people are easily offended.

All you have to do is watch music TV to get a sense of what society considers "decent"... unless you're a hypocrite, you should be fine with anyone wearing anything you see in any video clip from the weekly Top 100 on weekend mornings... and have you ever been to a Mardis Gras?

Don't be ashamed of skin.

What you wear is absolutely a right!

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

is it really? when going by the US constitution expression that violates social morals and public decency isn't protected, even when going by international law it says this:

The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this article carries with it special duties
and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as
are provided by law and are necessary:
(a) For respect of the rights or reputations of others;
(b) For the protection of national security or of public order, or of public health or morals.
edit on 14-6-2019 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Nice and nebulous... Do you have a definition for "morals"?

This obviously applies to eeryone's morals and my morals seem to be different to yours, if you think that pants hanging below the buttocks and exposing undergarment fabric should be illegal, or is offensive...

... unless you are offended by the culture that it represents?

Again... just watch music videos to see what society thinks is acceptable... guess what?, lots of baggy pants, so lots of influence on fashion... or should we ban underwear from tv too, underwear adds, Victoria Secret special?... are you into censorship?
edit on 14-6-2019 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
is it really? when going by the US constitution expression that violates social morals and public decency isn't protected...

The Supreme Court ruled on this in Cohen v. California, 403 U.S. 15 (1971) where Paul Robert Cohen was found to be within his Constitutional rights to wear a jacket that said 'F*** the draft'. Clothing is considered part of a person's expression.

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Clothing is considered part of a person's expression.

So I assume you have no problem with people wearing maga hats wherever they feel like it.
Also, where do rules from the workplace about appropriate attire fit in here ?
There has to be a line drawn in the sand whether that be from the office, school-board, or government.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join