It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana debates 'Saggy pants' law after man shoots himself

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Full Story Here

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) — Officials in a Louisiana city are reconsidering a 2007 ordinance outlawing "saggy pants" after a man's death in a confrontation with police.

Anthony Childs, 31, died in February. North Louisiana news outlets say he ran from a police officer who tried to stop him for wearing saggy pants. A coroner's report said he appeared to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest. He also had three nonlethal wounds from bullets fired from a distance by a police officer.

Childs' family members have questioned whether he was a threat to the officer, while the police chief has said proper procedure was followed because Childs was armed and considered a threat. Aside from questions of force and policy, however, Childs' death has renewed debate over the saggy pants ordinance. Critics of such laws have long raised doubts about whether they violate constitutional rights to freedom of expression. In recent weeks in Shreveport, discussion has often centered on the fact that most of those cited for saggy pants have been young black males.

Dash cam footage of Childs while running from police

I guess I don't get it. People don't want to see your butt crack or watch you shuffle when you walk because the crotch of your pants or shorts block you from being able to make full strides. Those wanting to repeal this law say it is discriminatory towards blacks, yet it effects all residents the same. Every morning I wake up, my tv is on the local morning news, and at least 3 times a week, I hear about another shooting in Shreveport's North and West sides. The latest was a 29 year old male who was shot in the head and killed outside of a night club in downtown Shreveport (North side), he happened to be a coworker and the boyfriend of a friend of mine and my wife. The black on black murders and shootings and other crimes are tough to solve and a suspect usually isn't found. So why aren't laws on murder repealed since they, too, seem to discriminate in the same manner?

Shreveport, like all big cities, became a third world dump once it turned blue. Are these people right that this law only targets blacks since they're usually the only ones showing the public their underwear and butt cracks? I don't think so, but you decide. Oh, and the guy in the story that this all revolves around shot and killed himself by accident while he was running from the police, and they're trying to make him a martyr.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Why do you think this law should exist in the first place? What gives any government the right to dictate what their citizens wear?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I can`t sunbathe nude in my own back yard, and that`s not exactly in public

As long as there are rules/laws on acceptable dress ( or lack thereof) I see no problem with the sagging pants laws.
But, if one law governing what "clothing or not" is done away with they all should go.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
"Self inflicted" gunshot wound to the chest..

SURE.

Plus 3 extra bullets in him? For suspicion of pants?

Weird story/Country.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Why do you think this law should exist in the first place? What gives any government the right to dictate what their citizens wear?

Because it's indecent. Why do you think people should be able to wear their pants so low that their underwear can be seen?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

It's not about the man being a threat. If people don't respect the law they have no rights. It's about respecting authority. If someone is running away from police they are NOT obeying the law.

Fifteen years in the academy
He was like no cadet they'd ever seen
A man so hard, his veins bleed ice
And when he speaks he never says it twice
They call him Judge, his last name is Dredd
So break the law, and you wind up dead
Truth and justice are what he's fighting for
Judge Dredd the man, he is the law
DROKK IT!
With gun and bike he rules the streets
And every perp he meets will taste defeat
Not even Death can overcome his might
Cause Dredd and Anderson, they won the fight
When the Sov's started the Apocalypse war
Mega-City was bombed to the floor
Dredd resisted, and the judges fought back
Crushed the Sov's with their counter-attack
DROKK IT!
Respect the badge - he earned it with his blood
Fear the gun - your sentence may be death because...
I AM THE LAW!
And you won't # around no more - I AM THE LAW
I judge the rich, I judge the poor - I AM THE LAW
Commit a crime I'll lock the door - I AM THE LAW
Because in Mega-City... I AM THE LAW
In the cursed earth where mutants dwell
There is no law, just a living hell
Anarchy and chaos as the blood runs red
But this would change if it was up to Dredd
The book of law is the bible to him
And any crime committed is a sin
He keeps the peace with his law-giver
Judge, jury, and executioner
DROKK IT!
CRIME - The ultimate sin
Your iso-cube is waiting when he brings you in
LAW - It's what he stands for
Crime's his only enemy and he's going to war
LEAD BREAKCRIME - The ultimate sin
Your iso-cube is waiting when he brings you in
LAW - It's what he stands for
Crime's his only enemy and he's going to war

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I don't think there should be a specific law, but it most certainly falls under "indecent exposure" or some other law.

I have mixed feelings. Being a black man, I really hate seeing other black men dressing in such a low class and buffoonish manner.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

If I can't stroll around without a shirt but a guy can, then why not.

I've a black friend whose teenage son got into the "saggy pants" phase.

He sat his son down and explained that this particular fashion choice originally came from prison where inmates used it to advertise that they were available to the other guys to be used for sex.

His son decided it wasn't that cool after all.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

SURE.

Weird story/Country.

No suspicion of pants. When your pants are sagging, it's very easy to detect without suspicion. He was also armed and considered dangerous. This could have all been avoided if he would have obeyed the laws and pulled his pants up a few inches.

link   
How do they determine when pants cross over from relaxed or loose into "saggy?"

link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

If someone is running away from police they are NOT obeying the law.

So that means they should die?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

So if a government decided that MAGA hats were offensive and banned them, you would be supportive of such a measure?

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   

So if a government decided that MAGA hats were offensive and banned them, you would be supportive of such a measure?

If you are wearing a hat and it shows your ass crack then all I can say is you are doing it wrong....

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

They're not the only ones who do it. The PD has issued tickets to all races doing this. It just happened to be a black guy the media decided to use as a martyr to repeal the law. But this, this is just ridiculous and shouldn't be allowed. If people want their pants extra long, buy them longer. If they want the crotch to hang low, buy them longer. But it needs to be at the waistline.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I'm just saying, the concept of indecency is pretty subjective. In certain segments of society saggy pants are considered normal, while in others they're considered indecent. In certain segments of society MAGA hats are considered normal, while in others they're considered indecent.

If the government should be allowed to make laws dictating one as "indecent," what's to stop them from doing the same for the other?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

If you are wearing a hat and it shows your ass crack then all I can say is you are doing it wrong....

Is that what is referred to as an asshat?

edit on 6/11/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

link   

What makes underwear indecent?
It covers the skin doesn't it?

This is nothing but a stop and frisk in disguise
It has nothing to do with decency.

I actually gamed the system in high school by wearing gym shorts underneath my jeans. I could sag all I wanted to then.

link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I went through my teenage years in the 90's and the style for the young generation in that era was baggy jeans, but we never let the waistline hang down to the butt crack.

I work in the city next to Shreveport and we have sagging laws, too, and the residents don't seem to have a problem obeying the laws here. We're also not a third world city like Shreveport though.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Seriously. If pants that show the top of a person's underwear is indecent then why isn't swimwear? Is it only indecent on males? I've seen plenty of women with a whale tail and haven't heard any complaints.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Jefferton

SURE.

Weird story/Country.

No suspicion of pants. When your pants are sagging, it's very easy to detect without suspicion. He was also armed and considered dangerous. This could have all been avoided if he would have obeyed the laws and pulled his pants up a few inches.

OK. He died because his pants were a few inches too low.
I was totally wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join