It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House dems want a raise for all that hard work.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Congress should not be allowed a raise when they are polling under 50% approval. We should be able to fire them just like any business can.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

House Democrats on Monday evening abruptly halted an effort to increase congressional pay for the first time since 2009, saying the proposal would be reviewed carefully after several freshmen Democrats made overt efforts to block it.

So the most vulnerable members, both politically and likely economically, are blocking an effort to give them selves more money. Money that they probably need more than their party leadership needs it.

What is it about DC that turns these politicians to the dark side once their there for a while?

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
deleted
edit on 11-6-2019 by usernameconspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: willzilla
Congress should not be allowed a raise when they are polling under 50% approval. We should be able to fire them just like any business can.

The way this is supposed to work is that we the people vote them out of office for being lazy and stupid. The term "stupid is as stupid does" really applies here. Stupid citizens vote for stupid politicians.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

The way this is supposed to work is that we the people vote them out of office for being lazy and stupid. The term "stupid is as stupid does" really applies here. Stupid citizens vote for stupid politicians.

Most people don’t follow the money. Most politicians are selling snake oil. They say things that vibe with people around election time though.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Most people don’t follow the money. Most politicians are selling snake oil. They say things that vibe with people around election time though.

And, there are a lot of people who blindly pick incumbents or vote a straight party ticket unfortunately. Worse, in some cases, the lamest of politicians have no opposition.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I think there needs to be a re-evaluation of the entire congress and senate.

Start with the salaries they receive now. Then score their productivity and record based on a particular list of parameters. Those that fail to meet those parameters get a pay DECREASE. Those that exceed them get an INCREASE. Those that fall in the middle, stay where they are.

Let the citizens decide what those parameters should entail.

Then allow points to be added or subtracted from the basic parameters by their district/state's constituents.

ETA: The parameters could start with a basic "kindergarten" report card, i.e., "plays well with others", "attendance record", "takes initiative", "keeps hands to him/herself", "demonstrates good sportsmanship", etc.

edit on 11-6-2019 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Term Limits ~ ONE TERM and that's all.
One term and you are done.
No career politicians.
No pension.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The Congress entrance exam has to have a list of photos and names.
If you cannot match the correct name to the correct picture you do not get hired.

And one of the photos has to be of a garbage disposal.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

This is why there's so much pressure to turn to lobbying firms and to cash in on member service after people leave, because precisely of this issue.

Sounds to me that she is saying that the purpose of being a member of Congress is to get rich.

We know that serving the citizens is out the window.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
Term Limits ~ ONE TERM and that's all.
One term and you are done.
No career politicians.
No pension.

Congress get the same health care as veterans.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I think we should flood their phones, their twitter, send emails, and even protest at their offices telling them "No New Pay Raises". You have failed on the merits. Plus....some of you are dumb as rocks.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It was never meant to be a full time job. They were to "meet from time to time". And be called when the President asked for them.

Most early congress and senate kritters, in the early days had businesses and farms to run. They actually worked for a living and their states.

Anyone that wants to take a political post and have authority over fellow citizens or make a career out of it. Needs to be taken to the woodshed and asked some serious questions.

There should be term limits for all elected employees. There should be less public employees in general.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: network dude

They're only in Washington D.C. 147 days @ year. Let that sink in.

When I saw the title of this thread I looked up how many days they work also. I got 138 which is even worse. I'd put money down most work even less then that. On average the normal working american works 260 days a year. They don't deserve a raise, let alone what they currently make. They refuse to do their jobs and are an embarrassment to the important position they hold and to the people and the country they are supposed to represent. If we refused to work at our jobs we would be fired. Plus most are millionaires with family money, bribes, kickbacks, back door deals and just being a shady, crooked douchbag. Mostly at the cost of US, the american people. If you earn it, you can have it, but you have NOT.

Once upon a time it was privliage to be elected to office and you did so with no pay. They originally got so much time off because they were all farmers and needed the time to tend to their land.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I guess $199,197.71 in office expenses for the first three months of this year wasn't enough for Cortez.

www.house.gov...
(this is a 3053 page pdf, her official expenses begin on page 1824)

and that is of her yearly allowance of $1,357,434.00 (pg 2991)

edit on 11-6-2019 by dubiousatworst because: allowance added

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
To be fair about the time off, it is supposed to be spent going to your home district and attending to your constituents needs in person. Hearing out complaints and suggestions and such. Though I highly doubt much of that occurs any longer due to the digital nature of things now.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:53 AM
link   
So is AOC stating they'll cheat or do unethical things without a raise? Seems like is happening anyway.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
I just don't think it is right for companies like Walmart not to pay livable wages to it's full time workers.

What this comment, and all others like it, fails to comprehend is:

There are a lot of jobs that are not and never were intended to provide a 'livable wage', meaning, a wage that someone can live off of by itself.

There are a lot of entry level jobs, intended to be filled by young people just entering the workforce, or retirees trying to supplement their retirement income.

Mandating a 'livable wage' for these kinds of jobs has a very large negative impact on the options available to these people.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
There are about 300,000 to 400,000 federal laws alone and half a million if you count your state on top of that. It is a sure sign America has reached an insane level of overcriminalization. That is, legislating against everyday life where everyone is commiting some crime or another. A renaissance is needed in Congress to reduce these by 90% and restore constitution over overzealousness and privacy over police ego then have at that raise.
edit on 6/13/2019 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 03:01 PM
link   
And honestly who are these buffoons who are voted into power then continuously and endlessly decide,"hmmm, I definitely prefer to go back home after doing my duty here in the House/Senate and live in a state of total regulation...dag gumit I mean my every last move I want regulated on how to do it, what's overdoing it, and I mean no matter how trivial or harmless the act is!"

And why do we keep up such buffoonery when other nations being strangled and squeezed for every last bit of breath or energy would have rebelled long ago!? I mean that's our LEGACY for dog doo's sake.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join