It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nixon's ex-WH counsel John Dean laid out 6 striking parallels between Mueller report and Watergate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I think it's crazy that this has been in the news for about 8 hours now and there is still nothing about it on ATS. This is the very same WH counsel that was involved in the Watergate scandal and that did the cover-up work for Nixon. He is a convicted felon, and the only reason he is a felon is because he got caught being a fixer for Nixon, doing the same things he talks of this administration doing.

Takes one to know one kind of a thing.

John Dean, the former White House counsel to President Richard Nixon and the star witness in the Watergate hearings, told Congress on Monday that the former special counsel Robert Mueller's report is to President Donald Trump what the Watergate roadmap was to Nixon.

businessinsider.com

If you open the article, you will find many points, topic by topic, bullet point by bullet point. Here are some:

The parallels he drew involved: attempts to shut down the investigations; the firing of FBI director James Comey and the Saturday Night Massacre; Dean's and former White House counsel Don McGahn's refusal to carry out the president's orders; efforts to exert control over the investigations; attempts to limit the disclosure of evidence; and dangling pardons to influence witness testimony.

Nixon's words were "strikingly like those uttered by President Trump," he added. "Nixon said, 'And, ah, because these people are playing for keeps ... they should call the FBI and say that we wish for the country, don't go any further into this case, period. And that destroys the case.'"

When Cox refused a White House ultimatum seeking to limit access to the infamous secret White House tapes, Nixon ordered Richardson to fire Cox. Richardson refused and resigned. His deputy, William Ruckelshaus, also refused to fire Cox and resigned. Cox was ultimately fired by Solicitor General Robert Bork. But the public backlash to Cox's ouster was so great that Nixon had to appoint Leon Jaworski as the new special prosecutor.

"In short, the firing of FBI Director Comey, like Nixon's effort to curtail the Watergate investigation, resulted in the appointment of Special Counsel Mueller," Dean testified.

Much more in the article, and I don't want to quote too much, but the comparisons are very effective once you get down to the bottom when the similarities are made with how McGahn was ordered not to comply and Dean's own situation.

Or how Nixon also used the pardon powers as leverage in order to influence cooperation, the same way Trump did.

How many are old enough to see history repeat itself?

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   
And it all means nothing

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
As we used to say at the time, I think we called it the Saturday Night Massacre: "Nixon is a Cox sacker".
2nd line

ganjoa

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Why are the democrats bringing everyone and their horse to interpret what they think the Mueller report says rather than bringing in Mueller himself?

Oh...that's right, Mueller said it's all in the report.

The report that did not reccomend any criminal referrals beyond the process crimes they managed to snare people in, the same report that found that there were no American's whom conspired with Russians to affect the election.

Carry on.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
John Dean had his law license revoked, was convicted as a felon and spent time in jail.

No wonder Democrats respect him so much.

He's Cut From the Same Cloth as Michael avenatti and Michael Cohen.

By the way, all three are on CNN's payroll.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

So the comparisons like... the Republicans broke into a place to steal information from the Democrats.

Oh wait... the Russians supposedly did that but there is no proof of that besides a private company's say-so.

Or like Republicans used the power of the government they controlled to spy on the Democrats.

Oh wait... it was Democrats that did that to Trump.

Or like the President went on a firing spree of Attorney Generals.

Erm.... that didn't actually happen.

But we could certainly go with the rest of the information that the disbarred convicted felon (for lying under oath, but now he's better!!) that is a rabid Republican hater pointed out to the Democrats...

The first person the 166th Congress called to testify before them was Micheal Cohen... a guy that obstructed justice, lied to Congress and was going to jail for it.

Then they call John Dean... someone who lied under oath and was charged with obstruction of justice...

Birds of a feather.

To make this thread more entertaining, here is Jim Jordan asking John Dean questions today.

Edited because ATSAlex beat me to it...

edit on 10-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
John Dean had his law license revoked, was convicted as a felon and spent time in jail.

Sounds like their kind of guy, to be sure.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: carewemust

Sounds like their kind of guy, to be sure.

Technically he got off on time served in a facility for informants.

Where he was driven to his office on weekdays so he could work on his book.

He never spent any time in jail because he turned state's evidence after it was found out that he lied 19 times under oath.

You know, just like Comey, Clapper, Brennen, McCabe...

Now he is on the CNN payroll.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Today's "Hearings" were a total joke and this will be another boomerang that comes back and hits Nadler in the head 😎

The historical values will be real gems too😃

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Next up ?
Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs
They will be testifying via "Wooly Bully"

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Did this guy do a comparison of Nixon being impeached for misuse of the IRS and the way Obama and Lois Learner utilized the IRS?

That’s the one I want to see

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
And it all means nothing

Well, technically to the Democrats now it means that Trump is LITERALLY both Hitler AND Nixon.

Clown World!

Gotta keep the base enraged though....

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Geez , is John Dean OUT OF PRISON Now ? Hmm...........Yeah , his Rep is Righteous My Ahass ............Dems getting Really Desperate Now , How about the Country Votes their Ahasses Out of Office in Large Numbers in 2020 just to Show them that WE THE PEOPLE Still Control this Country , not THEM ............

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here's one "parallel" that's actually a Tangent..

Nixon did fire the Special Prosecutor, Trump didn't 😎

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't think Dean "paralleled" anything to James Comey intentionally leaking material because he (Comey) wanted it to lead to an appointment of a Special Counsel. 😎

(Comey admitted doing that under oath)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Heard about the upcoming Congressional hearing with John Dean this am on NPR (ie not a conservative news outlet). They did an interview with Congressman Steve Cohen (d) about the subject.

Even the NPR reporter, Rachel Martin, had to ask the obvious question of why testimony from John Dean, the former White House counsel to President Richard Nixon, is at all relevant to Trump obstruction.

MARTIN: May I ask for slightly more specifics on that? I mean, what does it matter what John Dean thinks about the Mueller report? He was the key witness, yes, in the Watergate hearings, but that was a completely different scenario, completely different set of facts.

Cohen's answer?

we've been stymied at getting witnesses that would be the best witnesses - the president's attorney, Mr. McCain (ph), the president's other attorney - sometimes goes by the name of attorney general, Bill Barr - Hope Hicks. And there's another lady that was - refused to comment.

?!?!? They can't get the real witnesses so they will just find ones that will tell them what they want to hear?

But don't take my biased word for it; NPR clearly agrees.

MARTIN: But at the same time, you just admit that the reason you're calling John Dean is because you can't get anyone who actually knows anything. I mean, we should point out some...

This would be hilarious if we weren't talking about the highest Legislature in our land waisting our time with such an unapologetic partisan circus.

A few weeks ago; after the Mueller press conference; I said that if the Democratic controlled house swiftly brought up articles of impeachment over Trump Obstruction I'd keep an open mind about it as it would be a natural conclusion to the Mueller investigation. Investigation presented its evidence and the Congress makes a political conclusion based on that evidence.

But instead Democrats are parading irrelevant people in front of us in order to ask these irrelevant people what their irrelevant opinions are. Its clear the Democrats have nothing and what's worse is that they know it; and yet they are still wasting our time.

What a sad state our country is in.

NPR link

edit on 10-6-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

" I don't Know about you Henry , You Might Fold Under Questioning "

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Trotting out John Dean after all these years for what, exactly? His opinion? Laughable.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

In Nixon's case, the Democrats got rid of a sitting Republican President.

Now to be fair, he broke the law and should have went.

However the Democrats see this as a winning play... after all, it worked for them once.

How many times have you heard the MSM breathlessly calling the Russian Hoax "much like Watergate" over the last 2 years?

They need to draw comparisons between the two and embed them deeply into the public's psyche.

However, Dean has been calling EVERY Republican President after Nixon "Much worse than Nixon ever was."

He has made millions being a Democratic shill.

This is just so over the top it's stupid now.

But it's all they have.

I smell desperation in the air...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join