It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people hate Jim Carrey?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I won't say I hate him, but I do find it odd how a star who built his formative movie years ripping on trans-people (Ace Ventura) or the mentally disabled (Dumb and Dumber) can suddenly reinvent himself as so "woke".

But hey we saw the same with Jimmy Kimmel and the "Man Show".

If it was a more conservative star, they might be demonetized on YouTube these days, or have their entire back-catalogue removed, on the mere pretext that although it was comedy, somebody was offended.

Now I think comedy is just that - but in an era where people pick up tweets and jokes from ten years ago or more, and pretend to be offended by it - that is a bit hypocritical.

It's actually the lack of fairness applied to comedy that I hate (and the censors), not the comedians as such.
edit on 12-6-2019 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm not big on too much silly stuff either but he's made a whole lot more money than I have.
I think my favorite movie by him is by far The Mask.
I wonder if he did his own dancing in this scene at the club in The Mask?
Some of it is trickery no doubt.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver>>> Uhhh, he's an asshole? I'll admit his work from years back was pretty good. I think he was the second funniest person on "In Living Color", second to David Alan Grier. He had some good movies, "The Truman Show" being his last. But his dramas were mehhh and the last time I saw him was in that Kickass movie and he was worse than Nicholas Cage. Then he made an ass out of himself slamming Charlton Heston. He's creepy on top of that. If his career has fizzled out, we can move on or let him do supporting work if he can manage it.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I think he’s full-blown crazy. Look at his recent interviews, and attempts to explain metaphysical theories. A perfect example of a little information being dangerous.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I like him too, at least as a comedy actor. I'd stop short of calling him "a great man", obviously I don't know the gentleman, he could be a serial killer for all I know. But yeah, I like a Jim Carrey film.

Got to be in the mood though.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Q33323

This is the thing. I haven't watched all that of which you speak. I just saw some of his movies and almost peed my pants. But as another member stated, being in the mood helps. Laurel and Hardy is the same kinda deal imho. I love Laurel and Hardy.
edit on 13/6/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jun, 14 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I just find Jim Carrey to be an obnoxious jerk. Literally every character he has ever played is like that, so I have to imagine the man himself is probably an obnoxious jerk in real life. The one thing I loved him in was when he played the Riddler in that one Batman movie, and that was precisely because the Riddler should be someone so obnoxious you'd punch him in the face if you met him in real life.

It certainly doesn't help that he, like Kathy Griffin, clearly has some rather severe mental problems, as evinced by his so-called artwork. But I hated him long before any of that started.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join