It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people hate Jim Carrey?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Why do people hate Jim Carrey?

Yes.
Why DO folks show disdain for those that have psychological problems ?

Because people like to make themselves feel better by ridiculing others? That would be my guess. I've seen that behaviour quite a lot in my life.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: leemachino
It’s the things he says and the subject of the pictures he paints. Not because he paints.
What makes him a great man? Because he’s an actor? Such a great man that his ex gf committed suicide blaming him for introducing her to mental abuse, drugs and disease. www.independent.co.uk... aine-prostitutes-herpes-wrongful-death-lawsuit-std-a79752 51.html

Jim Carrey for president ? Lmao. He is ineligible to run being from Canada and all.
Idiocracy is running rampant these days. Worshipping celebrities as if they’re “great” people leads to reality show presidents.

So just like reality now then

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

It's takeaway.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I don't hate him. I don't think anything about him, other than that i don't find him funny. At all. He was good in Man on the Moon but other than that he is very "m'eh".

He certainly isn't a comic (to me at least). Maybe comedy actor but they are not the same thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Jim Carey is a legend.

But he spent a number of years telling us that each of us are clusters of tetrahedrons moving around together, that we do not matter—and then all of a sudden Donald Trump and progressive politics reaaaaly matters.
edit on 11-6-2019 by TheSteppenwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Because people base their opinions of a person on more than how funny their movies are. Geesh. Not complicated.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think there's something unique about a guy who writes himself a 10,000,000 dollar check while riding around broke giving himself a number of years to cash it. He carried the check until his dad died and tossed the check inside the casket believing that soon he would have his money. And he did!
Jim Writes Himself 10 mil Check

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Because he's a witch.

posted on Jun, 11 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Its been a long time since I've seen Dumb and Dumber and this scene is pretty comical.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   
I'm surprised by the amount of people that just don't find him funny at all, not even one tiny bit. Tastes differ I guess, and that's fine! Sometimes the tears roll down my face, I kid you not. He's a rare gem in my humble opinion.

"Some of us love you Jim..!"

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: canuckster
Because he's a witch.

Good call and funny too!

ETA Does Jim Carrey weigh the same as a duck?

edit on 12/6/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1

I watched this clip, just to see if maybe I had missed something.

Dumb and Dumber is singularly the most UN-funny motion picture ever made, bar none! I absolutely cannot understand what people find funny in this movie! Every time I see even a portion of it I feel like my IQ drops about 10 points. It's complete rubbish to the 10th power.

In fact, this movie is so beyond 'stoopid' it made me never want to watch another movie with Jim Carrey or Jeff Daniels in it. Seriously. And, if this is his signature piece, then this says something.

To the OP:

That said, I don't "hate" Jim Carrey. I don't like his political views, and his outspoken self-importance, but I don't hate him. In fact, I was just starting to warm up to his comedy with movies like Liar Liar and Me, Myself and Irene, but then things went downhill fast after that. He became predictable. Plus, he typecast himself, so you can't really take him seriously in movies like the Truman Show (you're just sitting there waiting for some wacky Jim Carrey stunt or pose).

To me, Carrey's comedy can really be summed up with Man on the Moon. If you liked Andy Kaufman, then you like Jim Carrey. Every time Andy Kaufman showed up on screen I wanted to smash the TV with a sledge hammer! Absolutely could not stand that person! Didn't like him in Taxi, and loathed him afterwards. I disliked Andy Kaufman so much I will turn off the radio every time an REM song comes on just because of him. REM worshipped him like a god.

Carrey's comedy is physical comedy with a very narrow range. You either like it or you don't. As for the person, I just ignore these hollyweird types. I was surprised about the STD's and hepatitis though; I didn't know this until reading about it here on this thread. This factoid surely doesn't help my opinion of him.

Oh, and his art? His art is only a 'thing' because the actor Jim Carrey did it. If it would have been anyone else, it would be stuck on some mom's refrigerator with a magnet.

I guess it's just me.
edit on 6/12/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I was a huge jim carrey fan when I was growing up. He was funny, he was witty, his manerisms were great. That's not jim carrey anymore. He's been a flaming lefty since I can remember. My disdain of him has little to do with the way his politics lean and a lot to do with how completely stupid he's become.

His role is an entertainer. Sure he's allowed all the opinions he wants, but when he stops being entertaining he's going to lose a bunch of support. What was his last good movie? Fun with dick and jane? Didn't that come out like 15 years ago? Now couple the fact that he no longer entertains with the fact that his current priority seems to be demonizing half of the country and you'll see why he's lost so much support.

Now ponder what would cause a person to abandon their god given talent (being funny and light hearted, for jim) and instead begin attacking others because their political beliefs are different from his?

There's a part of me that wants to believe this is just a function of him trying to get work in a liberal environment that puts virtue signaling on the highest of pedestals. But the personal level he goes to argues against this. Then you can bring in what he did to his girlfriend and it shows a deeply depraved individual who is in desperate need for psychological help.

That's my two cents on the jim carrey matter.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Every time I see even a portion of it I feel like my IQ drops about 10 points.

The purpose of comedy is not to raise your IQ. Dumb and dumber is fantastic, but to each his own.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You know, just the other day I was thinking about bands like Queen, Judas Priest and Elton John. I was marveling at how much different some of these people were in real life than the personas they portrayed on stage. I note Queen not because Eddie Mercury was gay, but also because who knew Brian May would have a PhD in Physics...and here they are rocking the world.

Then I realized, there was a time when all of show business was like this. People thought Marilyn Monroe was the perfect woman, people thought Rock Hudson was the definition of manly men, people thought Ann Bancroft was a great person, and the list goes on. The truth was, they were all far different in real life than they were on the screen, or the stage.

The big difference was, they kept it to themselves. Their real lives didn't interfere or intertwine with their show business life. This is one of the reasons I never liked Andy Kaufman. He didn't know how to turn it off, and then he actually became his stage character.

Maybe it would be good if hollyweird would wake up and take note of this. Stop using their fame as a pulpit, take their secrets back into the shadows, shut up...and do what they get paid to do. Whatever else they want to do should be done in privacy.

There's a really interesting parallel to this theme as well, and there's actually a conspiracy angle to it also. Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's and even the 70's, government agencies like the CIA took great interest in hollyweird. It was a great propaganda tool, while at the same time having an almost McCarthy-esque communist connection as well. But this is another thread.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Ladies and Gentlemen, it is time for the hate to stop. I get tired of how some here drag the name of a great man down. As far as movies go, he may well be one of the funniest actors alive and yet some like to ridicule him. I don't get it. And now people ridicule him because he likes to paint pictures.

Jim Carrey for President!

I know, I just don't get it... all he does is paint lovely family friendly artwork to share the beauty of his soul with the planet and people attack him, for NO REASON.

Just let him paint his happy little trees, friendly little clouds, and share his love with the world...

I'm a people person, Goddammit!
What the Hell's the MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!????

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

My favorite Jim Carry movie:

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

WTF did I just watch?

After a second watch, it might be comedic genius but his delivery is just not right for it to come across that way.
edit on 12-6-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Back in the 40's, 50's, 60's and even the 70's, government agencies like the CIA took great interest in hollyweird. It was a great propaganda tool, while at the same time having an almost McCarthy-esque communist connection as well. But this is another thread.

Big tobacco got stars like Humphrey Bogart to smoke on-screen to make smoking cool. I smoke like a star-struck idiot too.

posted on Jun, 12 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
1. He is not and never has been funny. 2. He has a bad case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join