It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration will boost U.S. population by 100 million in 45 years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

Maybe all those nutters preaching abstinence are having some effect.

So which are they, nutters, or abstinent?

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: InTheLight

a reply to: Scapegrace

I think that perhaps PEW did not account for the drastic decrease in life expectancy in the U.S., so I think we need another look at those numbers.

From your link-

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control shows that a small decrease in life expectancy, from 78.7 to 78.6 years, is part of a continuing trend.

I think drastic is a bit of a stretch yea?

Did you read the study? I think not.

The study that talks about early deaths from drug overdose and suicide bringing down the expected life expectancy average down by .1 years? I don't think that is going to offset growth too much, but I've been wrong before.

It also has to do with diet, a big one, and guess which diet immigrants end up choosing - yep - fast food.
edit on 16CDT09America/Chicago00590930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I think that perhaps PEW did not account for the drastic decrease in life expectancy in the U.S., so I think we need another look at those numbers.

From your link-

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control shows that a small decrease in life expectancy, from 78.7 to 78.6 years, is part of a continuing trend.

The study that talks about early deaths from drug overdose and suicide bringing down the expected life expectancy average down by .1 years? I don't think that is going to offset growth too much, but I've been wrong before.

It also has to do with diet, a big one.

I think the big impact is people that die young in life by drug overdose and suicide, which really messes up averages when you have so many in their teens to thirties passing early. While obviously that's a problem, and so is American overall health, I still don't think that's going to offset the rise in population.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So deportation can start any time.

How do you deport the descendants of legal immigrants? That's where most of the growth will be coming from.

One of these days people will have to address the problem of overpopulation. The answers might not be easy but the sooner we look for an answer the easier a solution can be found.

Is Canada looking at the same problem?
How about Norway, France, italy?

If they are then it's a world problem if not then why?

If all the green folks are worried about carbon emissions then they should be looking at population growth.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

From your link-

It also has to do with diet, a big one.

I think the big impact is people that die young in life by drug overdose and suicide, which really messes up averages when you have so many in their teens to thirties passing early. While obviously that's a problem, and so is American overall health, I still don't think that's going to offset the rise in population.

You got it - health and the rich beat the poor by 15 years as this article explains. With Trump-era policies the poor will be harder off in the future. How does poverty, lack of money for healthcare, and stress play into an early death?

So instead of just focusing on the overall decline in life expectancy, we need to start talking about these links between policy and worsening income inequality, and its relationship to the growing mortality gap. If we don’t, Woolf warned, we’ll fail to see the solutions to America’s early death problem.

www.vox.com...
edit on 16CDT09America/Chicago01390930 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

One of these days people will have to address the problem of overpopulation.

All I know is deporting United States citizens isn't the answer.

edit on 10-6-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   

All I known is deporting United States citizens isn't the answer.

Closing the border is a good start and then removing all the illegals.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Illegal immigrants weren't calculated in the numbers linked.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
Going to need immigration.

According to a recent poll 30 percent of U.S. males under 30 have not had sex in over a year.

Where are the kids going to come from if not from immigration.

Maybe all those nutters preaching abstinence are having some effect.

Bwahaahaahaaha! My Anti-Orgasm Ray is working. Now, I'll focus it upon Mexico from my private satellite...

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I think there is something to your point, but again, I don't think it will offset population. That problem has been trending since before Trump, and I fail to see how people choosing to eat fast food is the fault of a president unless they are that impressionable by his eating habits. One can still eat healthy hear for the same cost of fast food which is about 8~ dollars a meal. You can get fresh produce and a pound of lean meat that can make enough for a few.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scapegrace
Progressives, I have a question for you: How do you reconcile your support for immigration with your fear of anthropogenic global warming (which I, too, believe is real and dangerous)?

As a progressive, I would try to promote public policies to address important issues. Maybe if the United States stop bombing the Shiite out of the Middle East people would stay in the Middle East. Maybe if had public policies combating Chinese currency manipulation then maybe all the factories in Mexico would not have closed creating the immigration problem we have now.

The problem in this country is the attitude "all government is bad" and government has no role in addressing public issues. I think if people took government seriously, we could form panels of groups discuss and propose public policies to address public issues.

Having public policies preventing immigration in the first place is a much better way than just using the immigration issue for scapegoating in order to score cheap political points like the way most popular Republican politicians do.

link   

Then doesnt that make the numbers even higher than quoted?
A kid born in the United states with an illegal mother is automatically a citizen.
Am I wrong on that?

link   

In 2065, the US will adopt, "No Fat Chicks" ruling by a Supreme Court decision in the famous Rosie O'Donnel vs Taco Bell case.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight

I think there is something to your point, but again, I don't think it will offset population. That problem has been trending since before Trump, and I fail to see how people choosing to eat fast food is the fault of a president unless they are that impressionable by his eating habits. One can still eat healthy hear for the same cost of fast food which is about 8~ dollars a meal. You can get fresh produce and a pound of lean meat that can make enough for a few.

Trump-era policies, as explained in the article, will make the poor poorer which has been proven to reduce life expectancy. The fast food choice was from another article I was reading pertaining to Guatemalan people's choices once living in the U.S.A. As in Rome, do as Romans do, I guess.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Then doesnt that make the numbers even higher than quoted?

Potentially but those aren't the numbers being discussed.
The growth will be from the descendents of legal immigrants which your solution of deportation is not viable.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

All I known is deporting United States citizens isn't the answer.

If business didn't hire illegals for cheap labor, like big agri and construction, they wouldn't come.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Hrmm... well I've seen other studies showing population shrinkage.

We may need those immigrants in order to maintain population levels. How else is the government gonna collect taxes?

www.brookings.edu...

This was emphasized this week as the U.S. Census Bureau released its population change estimates for the year ending in July 2018. Their data show that the national rate of population growth is at its lowest since 1937, a result of declines in the number of births, gains in the number of deaths, and that the nation’s under age 18 population has declined since the 2010 census. This is on the heels of recently released data showing geographic mobility within the U.S. is at a historic low. And while some states—particularly in the Mountain West—are growing rapidly, nearly a fifth of all states displayed absolute population losses over the past two years.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:22 AM
link   

You got it - health and the rich beat the poor by 15 years as this article explains. With Trump-era policies the poor will be harder off in the future. How does poverty, lack of money for healthcare, and stress play into an early death?

I agree. Poverty is a leading cause of premature death throughout the World.

"Around the world, 767 million people live in extreme poverty with less than $1.90 per person per day, an amount which is impossible to support a healthy livelihood in any part of the world."

"Every single day, 1,000 children under 5 die from illnesses like diarrhoea, dysentery, and cholera caused by contaminated water and inadequate sanitation."

We have so much productivity from automation over the last 30 years yet poverty is still a major problem. How hard it is to run the factory a extra 4 hours per day. I think it comes down to the people in power are just closed minded.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Another thing to note, is that Americans (millennials, especially) are having less children than ever before.
Gen Z will probably further the trend.
Money, or lack there of seems to be one of the main reasons.

The immigrants coming in, who are not accustomed to hard it is to make it in America, don't seem to be as worried about that, when it comes to having kids. Likely because of gov't assistance.
Just my 2 cents.. not trying to disrespect people coming in, or the people that are here.
The trend is real and could end up turning American culture on it's ear, if left unchecked.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join