It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exquisite Koi Pond

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
A little piece of heaven. Watch, relax and dream of beautiful things.
If anyone has a koi pond, I would love very much to see it! If you don't, you can hang around in here with me by this one.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Very cool! Living art that is very surreal.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Very beautiful. My aunt and uncle have one in their backyard out in Oregon. Also beautiful, but much smaller than the one in your vid.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Very beautiful!

I love Koi. I have a Koi pond with water falls, but not that big, or pretty. I had 23 large Koi, until a raccoon got in there. Im starting over right now. I have only 3 at moment. I had some real big ones that used to eat from my hands, and suck on my toes. The biggest was a beautiful gold and orange iridescent Koi, about 23 inches long. I even had one that was red, white and blue. Damn raccoon. Oh well.

Thanks for the video Night Star!
I love those blue ones
edit on 10-6-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Indeed it is.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: thov420

Even small ones are wonderful. So beautiful and peaceful looking.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Oh Hun, I would love to see pics if you have any. I love raccoons, but I feel bad for the loss of your beautiful fish.

So awesome that they eat from your hand!!

edit on 10-6-2019 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Ten years ago, we rented a backhoe to fix the drainage pipes in our back yard. My husband wanted to practice the bucket first, so he had fun tearing up a portion of the lawn. I had him dig deeper and more since I was inspired to make a pond.

Lined it with rubber roofing material and had made upper tiers of pools and waterfalls out of concrete mixture and chicken wires. Also, made some artificial rocks and boulders.
Unfortunately, I found the Koi were too expensive to replace.

Ended up buying cheap feeder goldfish (18 cents each) and they mature to 6-8 inches, reproduce exceptionally, variety of color mixtures of orange, gold, black, and white and are able to survive our Michigan winters. They are fun to sit and watch and look like baby koi though some have awesome double fan tails too. They get excited when the falls are splashing and literally jump out of the water splashing.

My daughters and grandsons love it. It has grown in quite nicely now. Only use the middle pool to direct water into the lower 3 waterfalls, since a dog had dug up the piping and chewed it as if it was a snake! The upper pool structures are beginning to crumble and moss is taking over so, I have not made any repairs.

The pond seems smaller nowadays too since the lawn, trees, and flowers have grown up and over the edging. Cattails have to be cut back every 3 years too. Our front fish pond is much smaller and shallower, but amazingly those feeder gold fish survive the winters in it too! That one just has one little rock waterfall, but makes it nice for guests arriving up our walkway.

Will see if I can get pics to upload later since this old IPad 1 doesn't upload to ATS. It is just a nice little place to slow down to relax, watch, and listen. I joke that my goal is to slowly plant a natural sanctuary all over so I will not have so much to mow when I get too old. Lots of sitting areas so I can sit and rest my old bones when I do have to do yard work. Haha!

Edit add: Figured out how to sign in and upload from my phone. Woohoo.
edit on 6 10 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)
. Oops...9 years ago! Just seemed like a decade. Haha.

Added one more pic from end of May to show how a small space can be made to seem like you are entering a peaceful area. I have found that folks don't angrily keep ringing my door bell impatiently any longer too.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

It's like The Garden of Eden for fishes.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've had a koi pond for a while and also a salt water fish tank. I just love the sound of water, it's very relaxing.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I don't have a koi pond.

I have a 40g stock tub with a dwarf water lily, a banana plant that send up leaves kind of like a water lily, duck weed, anacharis, water wisteria, spiral val, some java moss, and a bog planting of creeping jenny. I run a sponge filter in it, and this week, I have to put in an aquarium filter because the temps are plunging into the low 50s which is very, very rare for KC in mid-June.

You won't be able to see my fish. Usually, I put in a group of cheap but brightly colored platys. They breed me out of house and home and I always end with way more than I know what to do with at the end of the summer. This year, I decided to try something more expensive and a little less prolific. I have a group of dwarf neon rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox) in there along with some mystery snails to help me control the elm leaves that fall in.

Of course, upon checking up on things this morning, I found 2 of my rainbows dried up on the deck and evidence that something had muddled through my pond. I don't know if they were hunted out or disturbed into jumping, and I don't know it it was squirrels or the far more insidious 'coons that are thick in this neighborhood. I know that not all the fish were fished out. I saw at least 2 still in there out of a group that was maybe as many as 10.

Now I don't know how many to replace.

Maybe I will post pics when my lily decides to bloom. It's really pretty when it does. But right now, I'm pretty ticked that I'm going to have to start covering my pond at night again to deter predators, and I'm going to have to figure out how many fish to replace into my pond.

I keep planters around my pond. In one I have marigolds and purple lobelia - my son's picks. In another I have two varieties of superbells, a deep cherry red and a velvety black, a red/pink verbena, and a lime/black coleus. A third has a variety of clover that is red with lots of four leaf clovers on it. We also have our usual planter of basil, oregano, and thyme. And we round it out with the catnip planter that comes back every year.

**EDIT**

OK, I got off my lazy butt and did it. It is not an exquisite koi pond, by any stretch, but I do enjoy it and love watching to see if I can catch glimpses of my fish flitting around in the pond. I also like the planters around it, and sometimes the local birds will come it and take a drink. I just wish the local wildlife was less inclined to fish.
edit on 10-6-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Perfect niche for relaxing and reflection gazing! Love the colorful flower pots too.

Am curious. What is the function of the bucket and hoses? Recirculating water?

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

Perfect niche for relaxing and reflection gazing! Love the colorful flower pots too.

Am curious. What is the function of the bucket and hoses? Recirculating water?

The bucket provides an all-weather housing for the air pump. The air pump has the clear tubing that feeds into the sponge filter in the tub. That aerates and filters the water. The filtering is less important with all the plants - nitrates from fish poo are natural plant food, but the aeration and water movement are necessary as it gets hotter. The blue one is the all-weather extension cord, and for this week, there is also a thin black power cord running the aquarium heater to keep it from getting too cold at night.

In dug in ponds, you can make sure you have enough surface area to do all your gas exchange or you put in waterfalls. With koi, you sometimes still need to run a pond filter even with a ton of plants because koi are messy fish. I've got a light load of slender tropicals, so the plants should pick up the slack although my sponge is rated for up to 60g and the tub is 40g. If anything, I may have to fertilize my plants to get much growth out of them this year because that lily is a pig.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Ah! Now I understand. Very creative ingenuity on your part. Just filed in my memory banks another useful DIY tip that may come in handy on a future project!

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Popped in to say wow !

That's awesome!

Thank You so much for sharing those pics,very inspiring!

the only thing I can't believe, if thats you in the first pic, is that you are a grandmother..

---
Ketsuko,
That looks more feasible for me, something small like that would be cool and manageable up here, but I'm afraid the pond would become a glacier by November..

---
Night,
/superduper-twoscooper-supersonic-atomic-platonic-nofear-carebear-Hugs!

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

I have to take it in every fall. Tubbing season is from April, where I fill it and get the plants going, to about September where the fish come in and the aquarium plants I want. The lily stays out until it dies back after maybe another month or so, and then it winters over in a bucket of water in the dark basement. Fish do not go out until you're in the sustained 60s overnight most every night, so usually not until about Memorial Day, but it takes about a month or more to cycle the tub and for the plants to establish anyhow. Goldfish can go out sooner.

The tub itself gets drained and propped on its side against the house. The fish will come inside and live in my 55g tank.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I once had a very lovely koi pond.
It was a two stage.
About 800 gallons for the fish and a secondary aquatic plant pond that spilled over to the fish side.
The plants did a perfect job of filtering the water.
There were water lilies, white, yellow, and pink on the fish side.
A resident bullfrog.
It was nice to drink my morning coffee and dip my feet in the water and let the koi nibble my toes.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

OMG, how beautiful! You have such a lovely place, quite a sanctuary. Thank you so much for sharing these awesome pics with us! I have seen some beautiful goldfish which do look like baby koi and double fan tails too. Wonderful!

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

It's like The Garden of Eden for fishes.

I'm sure it is.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
I've had a koi pond for a while and also a salt water fish tank. I just love the sound of water, it's very relaxing.

Yes it is and watching the fish swim around is so peaceful. I have had fish, but no salt water tanks. You must have had some really beautiful and exotic looking fish. Did you put other sea creatures in there with the fish?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join