It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is left? What is right?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Guns are peaceful tools, it’s the idiots who don’t know that are a problem her in America. My tool can feed me in hard times, no need for government masters hand outs. Your bike? Yeah it’s a bike.a reply to: oloufo

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

Left-wing and right-wing are labels. nothing more. No one is going to define them for you, because by defining them, they lose their power. It becomes obvious that everyone is actually human. That would kill the ideology.

I will be happy to list a few of my tenets, the ideals that I use to determine my stance on issues. Why? Because I don't care about labels.
  • All humans are created equal under the law but unique in their abilities.

• The law should therefore apply to everyone equally, with no exceptions whatsoever.

• Rights come from our Creator, be that Creator named Yahweh, Allah, I Am, Odin, Gaia, or Pat. They are not subject to the whims of any government.

• Rights are only limited by the rights of others.

• An example of some of these rights: the right to exist, the right to protect oneself and one's family (as defined by the one defending), the right to self-determination of one's life, the right to believe as one chooses, and the right to speak one's mind freely.

• Some rights have consequences.

• All humans are fallible.

• Government exists for the people, not the people for the government. Ergo, no government should make laws that infringe on rights, except to safeguard rights of others and then only within reason.

People seem to think that makes me "conservative." So be it; I didn't choose that label. People used to think they made me a "liberal." So be it; I didn't choose that label either. I see people as individuals, all unique, all special, all important. If someone attacks me, I do not consider whether my attacker is male, female, black, white, green, blue, short, tall, fat, slim, or has antennas sticking out of their head; I protect myself. When I meet someone, I take note of their skin color, their accent, their hair color, how they are dressed, etc. so I can remember them. Then I take note of what's important... how they carry themselves, how well they speak, what their interests are, their attitude towards others, their intelligence in different areas... because that's a much better determining factor of whether or not I care to even associate with them.

Thus far, I have not met any two people with identical attributes. I have also not met any single person who was useless or overall inferior to anyone else.

What I have met are people, many, many people, who seemingly do not care to pay that much attention to who they are meeting. These are the ones who tend to place general labels on others, and they are those I do not wish to associate with. Their actions in placing these labels is obviously an indication they do not care enough about others to take even a moment to consider the things that make all of us unique, and that is a very good indicator of selfishness. Those who do such tend to be the racists, the haters, the self-absorbed, the incompassionate, and the ones who will stab a friend in the back at the first opportunity to gain an advantage for themselves.

And they are the ones who also will not define what their labels mean. That would remove their ability to take others for granted.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
"left" and "right" have lost all meaning really I think.

If you're part of our team then your either in the left or the right according to a rather vague system of categorising who is left and right. They're kind of like two football teams if they where the right colours then thats about it, its such a black and white way of looking at things but in general they feel like labels bestowed up you by others to signal that you're part of their team or the other team.

Basically its the language of division, at times its really stupid and its almost talked about in terms of if you like Trump then you're in team "Right" against him your in team "left" now......FIGHT!!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Leftists believe in regressive tribalism, unlimited government (facism) & use the feminine thinking processes based on feelings/emotions. Conservative's believe all people are created equal under God & the law, are for Judeo-Christian inspired progressive limited government (libertarianism) & use the masculine logical thinking process based on facts/numbers. Though there's little difference between establishment Republicans & establishment Democrats career politicians. Most establishment Republicans are former Establishment Democrats a.k.a. Neocons. Establishment Republicans today are basically Democrats of the mid to late 1960s. Leftists today are not liberals because they do not believe in liberty, which includes things like: freedom of speech, right to own/carry guns, privacy/property rights, due-process (presumed innocent until proven guilty) & the Electoral college. Leftists today are against the constitution & everthing America stands for.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
So often I hear things are left wing or progressive. Or right wing or conservative.
What does that truly mean? You might think that this is a naive question, but is it really?
My parents are (in their 70s and) each registered to one of the big parties R & D, respectively. The R is more socially liberal. The D is more fiscally conservative.

No wonder your confused - Your R&D "values" are non-conforming to our political stereotypes in the US.
Are your parents from elsewhere? I noticed you use of public house or pub and that's not typical 'murican talk.
Not being critical! Just making some observations. I've been politically aware for 55 years or so and these labels and stereotypes change erratically in historical perspective. Certainty equates to incorrect when defining political labels.

Libertarian, I was at one time until the LaRouche crowd co-opted the "party" into an abhorrent platform.

"Liberal Strict Constructionist" was my stated political affiliation a youngster under 40. Made perfect sense to me that if we strictly follow the Constitution, Including the Preamble(s) all of our Rights, or Liberties are stated most Liberally. I used to argue that Scalia didn't give enough credence to the Preamble(s) when he interpreted the Constitution. The answer is right there: if it's not enumerated in the Constitution, the right belongs to the People, not any government.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
At it's most fundamental level, "liberals" are those who believe that people are generally "good," and the only reason they do bad things is because their choices are limited due to being socially disadvantaged. They're poor, they aren't the dominant ethnic group, etc. They believe that if you provide these people with proper education and opportunities, they'll become productive members of society.

"Conservatives," on the other hand, think people are inherently "bad," and they do bad things because they don't want to follow society's rules. They think that the best way to deal with these lazy yet opportunistic people is to create tough laws with harsh punishments and come down hard on them.

Where's the common ground? Well, the funny thing is that they both want the same thing from the average person like you -- your money. They both want your money because fundamentally they both think they're far superior to you and know better than you and should be put in charge of your life. They both think they know best and screw you.

That's why I shy away from all self-proclaimed liberals and conservatives. I know that life and people are complex, and should be dealt with on an individual basis. Bad people can do good things, and good people can be complete and utter bastards. I also know that even though they may think so, neither liberals nor conservatives are smarter than average folks like you and me.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
So often I hear things are left wing or progressive. Or right wing or conservative.
What does that truly mean? You might think that this is a naive question, but is it really?
My parents are (in their 70s and) each registered to one of the big parties R & D, respectively. The R is more socially liberal. The D is more fiscally conservative.

No wonder your confused - Your R&D "values" are non-conforming to our political stereotypes in the US.
Are your parents from elsewhere? I noticed you use of public house or pub and that's not typical 'murican talk.

My parents were born in the US, as was I.
I once was asked if I was from another country because I "speak English too well."

I recognize the values are non-conforming. That was the point of the anecdote.
edit on 10-6-2019 by randomtangentsrme because: I like turtles.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join