It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is left? What is right?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
So often I hear things are left wing or progressive. Or right wing or conservative.
What does that truly mean? You might think that this is a naive question, but is it really?
My parents are (in their 70s and) each registered to one of the big parties R & D, respectively. The R is more socially liberal. The D is more fiscally conservative.

I have been told for years I have libertarian beliefs, often from random people who chime into a conversation I'm having with friends at a Public house (that would be Pub if you do not know the term) or coffee shop.

I'm curious if we as a community can define specific beliefs to ascribe to one political leaning or the other?

This is posted in the pit due to the potential of heated disagreement. I ask posters to think about their answers and be as civil as they can.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

So you've been told for years that you have libertarian beliefs.

Are you sure? And why are you sure or not sure?

What are "Libertarian" beliefs?

Curious. 😎

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Conservative/Liberal ideologies both have their points, this country runs best when both are restraining each other equally.
Problem is no one from either party in Washington actually subscribes to either ideology except to pay lip service to the electorate.
Currently both parties have pushed themselves to their respective extremes to the point that government doesn't work at all.
Which is exactly how the ruling elite and their lapdogs in Congress and the Senate like it.
Trump must be a huge pain in the ass for them.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

So you've been told for years that you have libertarian beliefs.

Are you sure? And why are you sure or not sure?

What are "Libertarian" beliefs?

Curious. 😎

I'm not sure as I do not ascribe to the libertarian's party beliefs.
My base belief is Do what you will as long as it doesn't harm another, and I will do the same.

I know you are very active in the political forums. Why play shy? Take a stab at defining left and right ideology. Don't make this about me.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Zeropinion

Can you give 10 examples (from each) where both parties have pushed themselves to their respective extremes?

With extreme details would be helpful 😎

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zeropinion
Conservative/Liberal ideologies both have their points, this country runs best when both are restraining each other equally.
Problem is no one from either party in Washington actually subscribes to either ideology except to pay lip service to the electorate.
Currently both parties have pushed themselves to their respective extremes to the point that government doesn't work at all.
Which is exactly how the ruling elite and their lapdogs in Congress and the Senate like it.
Trump must be a huge pain in the ass for them.

I would disagree; this country runs best when both are finding an uncomfortable compromise.
I would agree that "no one from either party in Washington actually subscribes to either ideology" and "Trump must be a huge pain in the ass for them."

Care to take a stab at my question: "I'm curious if we as a community can define specific beliefs to ascribe to one political leaning or the other?"

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:40 AM
link   

We can start easily enough.

If you don't ascribe to the Libertarian's Party beliefs, what are those beliefs?

😎

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Can you give 10 examples (from each) where both parties have pushed themselves to their respective extremes?

With extreme details would be helpful 😎

Why? So both sides can jump down my throat in defense of their pet issue?
One thing is perfectly clear to me.
No one from either side is willing to budge an inch, no one is ever wrong in their own mind and no one will ever convince them otherwise.
Point out the chrony capitalism of the right leading to 300 families in America controlling 80-90% of the countries gdp and get a lecture about the free market.
Or point out the near bankrupt welfare system of the left and get a lecture about what a cold hearted asshole I am.
Either way no one is ever going to change their mind.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:49 AM
link   

If you don't ascribe to the Libertarian's Party beliefs, what are those beliefs?

😎

Well played.
I have not liked the Libertarian candidates for their campaign stances. Or past performances.
The stated party beliefs:
www.lp.org...

And if you turn your next response to one about me, again. I will not respond, as you are unwilling to keep on the topic of what is a left or right belief.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   

What exactly would you disagree with?

And how does their "platform" compare to "D" & "R" (or "D" vs "R") ?

😎

This isn't going to be as easy as you may have thought 😬

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

😎

Well played.
I have not liked the Libertarian candidates for their campaign stances. Or past performances.
The stated party beliefs:
www.lp.org...

And if you turn your next response to one about me, again. I will not respond, as you are unwilling to keep on the topic of what is a left or right belief.

What specific "stances" and "past performances" have you not liked?

πŸ˜ƒ

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I don’t think there is left and right.

There is authoritarian and libertarian. Both parties have a mixture of both. No one should tell others what to do with their life even if they make dumb decisions as long as they aren’t directly affecting the rights of others or their property.
edit on 2019/6/10 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Always helps to answer questions with red herrings 😎

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Curtain Call fail 😧

The chance of a lifetime up in smoke !!!! ☹

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Left is where everyone looks after everyone else. all men are equal.

Right is every man for themselves, Survival of the fittest, # you, I'm alright jack.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Left is where everyone looks after everyone else. all men are equal.

Sure, as long as they always get their way and you adopt their ideology 100%. The left would just as well put a knife in your back as any other. Their hypocrites and that’s what hypocrites do.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Who knows?

The definition seems to get changed up every few generations.

Were in one of those transition periods now.

No telling what the left and right are going to look like once the dust settles.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 03:11 AM
link   
To the extreme right, every thing else is on the left. To the extreme left, everything else is on the right.

The truth is, historically, the vast, vast majority have always been in the middle, between the extremities.

One way to tell that you are extremist, is that you can't see that there is a middle that outnumbers both extremes 1,000 to one.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 03:17 AM
link   

It is a tool to divide the people so they can all hate the other side.
When you hate you have been defeated.

posted on Jun, 10 2019 @ 04:34 AM
link   

What a peaceful thread and no fightings until now. Maybe we all arent that different. Im more left then right but im german and to be a rightwinger means something different down here as it means in other countries. I want everybody to have a free and peaceful live, thats all. I dont need a gun to feel free, i have a bike.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join