It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter Backflip Video

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

As for the lynx outrunning an Apache, I totally agree speed wise, but it cannot outrun its weaponry, mainly hellfire etc.

Hellfires wouldn't bother any aircraft unless it was on the ground, or hovering waiting to be killed. They are laser guided missiles, used for Tank Killing.

You may have better luck with Sidewinders on the other hand, or your chain gun.

And yes, the Lynx is an awesome aircraft, was the first Helo in the world capable of going upside down without meeting an untimely end I believe.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBaron
Helos are not air superiority fighters that need such maneuvers. Or am I missing something here?

I wish all enemy combatants thought this way (just hold that heading while I get tone... LOCK... Fox One, Stinger Away... Splash One)

Go rent FIREBIRDS with Nicolas Cage. Phillip: do not try this manouver, especially with a teetering rotor (R-22, Bell 206, etc.). Semi-rigid rotors can pull it off IF there is sufficient reserve power and pitch available to 'fool' the main rotor into thinking 'UP' is 'DOWN' (you raise pitch over the top, keeping the rotor loaded). And if you're high enough, of course. Not recommended.

Title came from A Company, 1-14th Aviation Regiment.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Im almost quite positive that it was the Apache I saw do a back flip on either the history channel or discovery channel about 6-8 years ago. And im some what sure that someone once said the Comanche could pull it off. Did anyone see this program? Have you heard or seen the Comanche do it?

Train

Edit: I think I remember them saying it was the first helo to ever do it.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by BigTrain]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigTrain
Im almost quite positive that it was the Apache I saw do a back flip on either the history channel or discovery channel about 6-8 years ago. And im some what sure that someone once said the Comanche could pull it off. Did anyone see this program? Have you heard or seen the Comanche do it?

Train

Edit: I think I remember them saying it was the first helo to ever do it.

[edit on 4-3-2005 by BigTrain]

I think you mean the lynx, it was the first to do it.
The comanche....I dunno its fast and light....the apache mabye but seems unlikely...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The KA-50 features unique maneuvrability and operating characteristics due to the contra-rotating co-axial rotors. The coaxial counter-rotating rotor system negates the need for a tail rotor and its drive system. Because of this, this aircraft is unaffected by wind strength and direction, has an unlimited hovering turn rate, and gives a smaller profile and acoustic signature, while allowing a 10-15% greater power margin. The HOKUM is fully aerobatic. It can perform loops, roll, and “the funnel”, where the aircraft will maintain a concentrated point of fire while flying circles of varying altitude, elevation, and airspeed around the target.

This info in full

You just have to love this bird

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Sombody go herewww.abovetopsecret.com...
I fil like looser I put video in here , and no one dont sow it

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I have a video of a Bell 407 doing a loop and a snap roll. Pretty eye opening stuff. Especially for a civilian helicopter.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I know that the European (Italian?) Tiger can do a "loop", but a flip?

Or was it the Lynx???

Hmm, was it called Tiger or Lynx? I can't remember.

O well, I know that the Europeans managed to build one of the fastest choppers and very manueverable, by the way, I saw a clip on tv of the chopper doing a loop in a city area, that's pretty damn good.

And, out of curiosity, why would you think Intelgurl knows anything about new Black projects? She isn't connected with those links. So to ask her would be oblivious, she just wouldn't know, she is actually one to question the existence of black projects.

She does it so well though, it's amazing, her posts are very informative.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I think that I know the show you are referring to. I don't think that it was a backflip though. If it is the show that I have in mind the helicopter pulled almost straight up and did kind of a tail slide before pivioting around to normal flight. It was almost a severe kind of Immelman. A helicopter doesn't loop in the true sense of the term. When a helo "loops" it adds a roll at the top. This is the way to keep the rotor loaded so that it doesn't flex and come apart or cutoff things that you need to keep flying. If any has the movie "Blue Thunder" there is some grainy film footage of a helicopter loop. The roll is plainly visable in it. I have heard but cannot verify that the CH-53E flown by the US Navy and Marines can do the "loop".
I would love to see that.

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have see the lynx do a loop at the Southend airshow, I was really shock to see it but even more shocked that nobody else seemed interested!

Not seen a video though

Note thats not at southend!

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Nacnud]

Found a not very good video here (real media) at about 3:20 from this website.

[edit on 4-4-2005 by Nacnud]

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I have seen Lynx' do all sorts of crazy manauvers, including backflips...

Very impressive to see, very scary...

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I looked for the popular mechanics article I saw this in but couldn't find it so I will give you an overview from memory. In the article it talked about a slatted rotor which made full on flips possible and indicated that this rotor was part of the upgrade kit for the long bow package... So yes as far as I know an apache is capable of loops.
The video you saw of it may have been from the movie firebirds where as rollerbladers would term it the apache did a mc twist, which is a flip in a way but with a rotation that would make it so the rotor was never completelly upside down.

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
This one was a bit too expensive for the US Airforce. I have seen it do an upside down flip at one of the airshows in South Africa.

www.denel.co.za...

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

here you go.

An apache helicopter doing a full invert roll, but sadly no complete loop. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com...

This video of a 105 doing full forward loops and twists. Bloody awesome!!!

[edit on 19-8-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

[edit on 19-8-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

posted on Aug, 19 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Many years ago the West German army (that dates it :lol
BO105 display pilot used to do a horizontal vertical climb then put the nose down and actually go post the 180 degree mark. I always knew what was coming and I swear my heart skipped a few beats every time I watched him perform

Great little Helo the BO105

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yep, the incredible maneuverability made the BO-105 and its followers BK117 and EC135 so popular. Apart from the military value, they are perfectly suited for rescue and police missions because they can "land on a dime". I´ve seen several cases where one of these helicopters landed on two-lane roads amidst buildings or trees. And by the way, the BO-105 was the first helicopter to officially perform the loop - not the british Lynx as was stated before (not counting in aerobatic pilots that risked it with helicopters not officially suited for it).

And just for the sake of the thread, here´s a vid that shows an Eurocopter Tiger perform the loop. Notable is that it actually carries some ordnance while doing it which is usually not done. Also it is the UHT version of the Tiger (with the mast mounted electronics that naturally decrease flight characteristics and increase weight). That makes it outstanding amongst the military helicopters that could perform the "loop" - but without ordnance.

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Just a couple more...

Mil Mi-28
youtube.com...

Westland Lynx
www.youtube.com...

Regards

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have seen a ka-50 doing a full 360 backflip i even got it on video. But unfortunatly on VHS
. I tried to find this video on google but it pointless to many useless links and not the one i want

[edit on 20-8-2006 by Russian Boy]

posted on Aug, 20 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
blue-impulse.hp.infoseek.co.jp...

here you go a KA-50 doing a loop and roll out at the end. Short clip, but at the minute its the only one i can find.

Nice helicopter, but i would if flying want a second seater for the gunners station - all that work for one poor man!! (Or woman!)

posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Good to see someone revived my post. Turns out I was right all along. I finally found an air show video of the apache backflip. Ill try to post it somehow, but its very large and quite long too. Not only backflips, but rolls and other crazy stuff.

Train

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join