It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man jailed for defending himself in own home.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
As the title says, a man in Canada was sent to jail for defending himself against a home intruder.

A scum bag broke into a mans home while he was asleep.
The criminal took a knife and stab the sleeping man in the head and tried to flee.
Well our snoozed our hero wasn’t taking that lying down - pardon the pun.

He chased the low life into the hall, disarmed him and gave him a taste of his own medicine.
The perp died from one of the stab wounds, our hero sent to the hospital and later detained by LEO.

The crown wanted Our hero to be sentenced to 8 years in prison the lawyer shot back with 3 years, less the time already served. The judge gave him 5.
He has about 2 and a half years left for his sentence.

It’s times like this that it’s proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Canada’s criminal law system is an embarrassment.
Sentences like this are more common place here.
Criminals have more rights than victims.

Recently a scum bag in my home town spent 4 years in jail out of his sentenced 12. But because he was put in segregation our [snipped] judge released him into society.
2 weeks later he raped a girl at knife point, was arrested, released back on bail, and the other night he committed a home invasion and beat a dude down with another perp.

The citizens of my town are becoming used to this nonsense, revolving door, joke of a system.
So much so that people are talking about patrolling the streets at night handing out Vigilante justice.

Here is the article of the man thrown in jail for defending himself.

Man sent to prison for self defence

Here is the murder rapist intruder article

Lifer

edit on Sun Jun 9 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Welcome to Clown World where everything is backwards and your supposed to just let people stab your face.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:27 PM
link   

What the hell, that is so wrong! He was trying to defend his own life. He shouldn't have had to serve any time for that.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

That's really messed up, I think it's similar here in oz, people should be able to defend themselves in their own home...

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I live in Florida, we would have taken up a collection for the guy and had a fund raising fish fry.
No one involved in his prosecution would keep their job.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I truly feel it’s a sign of worse things to come in Canada.
Criminals seem to be getting off easier and easier.
It’s a running joke on our news website in the forums, of people being caught for serious or violent crimes.
We know they are going to be released either that day or the next and we write how long before we see their names in the news again for reoffending.
And that’s obviously not right.
Society should be protected from such acts.
But either our judges are so ignorant to the fact that these are habitual offenders or they just don’t give a crap anymore.

The citizens of our city are so sick of it, that there was a petition passed around asking for the Hells Angels M.C to come back to town to clean up the garbage.
Lol that’s pretty sad when we lack the confidence in our courts and police that we want a criminal organization to come to town to take care of our low live drug dealers and criminals lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DukeMisterio

Exactly!
stand your god damn ground!
Here, everyone is so worried that the criminals and low lives feelings will get hurt, that law has taken a back seat.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

There is a very very big hole in your story.

Yes - the criminal and he certainly is a criminal did stab the sleeping man.

But the sleeping man was not defending himself. The sleeping man CHASED after the criminal and stabbed him to death AFTER the ignorant criminal had fled his abode. The sleeping man was not in any danger after the ignoramus fled. He chose to chase after the slime bucket to get REVENGE.

You are allowed to defend yourself but you are not allowed to get vengance.

If he had stayed in bed and called the police, he would not have been harmed any further. When he chased the slime bucket, he was not defending himself.

That is the hole. Our society does not allow people to get their own vengence.

Now if he had killed the man while the stabbing was occurring, that would have been a whole new kettle of fish

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

He chased him out onto his deck. That is still his property. The man tried to KILL him, by stabbing him in the head.

Glad he is dead. Obviously not a contributing member to society.

Sorry the guy served prison time.

What a messed up case.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nobody would have been stabbed if the first criminal ass wouldn't have broken into the house in the first place.

That's all I need to hear.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

If I wake up to some dude trying to push a knife into my cranium, I’m not going to tolerate it, nor risk laying in bed - which is located in a remote area - extended wait time on police. Sometimes a full 24 hours, depending on the location here.

As well, he didn’t know if his mother or other family was in the home...in danger.

If there’s a knife in my head and I have the ability to protect my family from harm... you best believe I’m taking the perp out.
I don’t know their intentions.
Nor am I going to lay there to find out.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
As the title says, a man in Canada was sent to jail for defending himself against a home intruder.

A scum bag broke into a mans home while he was asleep.
The criminal took a knife and stab the sleeping man in the head and tried to flee.
Well our snoozed our hero wasn’t taking that lying down - pardon the pun.

He chased the low life into the hall, disarmed him and gave him a taste of his own medicine.
The perp died from one of the stab wounds, our hero sent to the hospital and later detained by LEO.

The crown wanted Our hero to be sentenced to 8 years in prison the lawyer shot back with 3 years, less the time already served. The judge gave him 5.
He has about 2 and a half years left for his sentence.

It’s times like this that it’s proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Canada’s criminal law system is an embarrassment.
Sentences like this are more common place here.
Criminals have more rights than victims.

Recently a scum bag in my home town spent 4 years in jail out of his sentenced 12. But because he was put in segregation our libtard judge released him into society.
2 weeks later he raped a girl at knife point, was arrested, released back on bail, and the other night he committed a home invasion and beat a dude down with another perp.

The citizens of my town are becoming used to this nonsense, revolving door, joke of a system.
So much so that people are talking about patrolling the streets at night handing out Vigilante justice.

Here is the article of the man thrown in jail for defending himself.

Man sent to prison for self defence

Here is the murder rapist intruder article

Lifer

And you people around the world , wonder why we here in USA cling to our guns and second amendment.....

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:12 PM
link   

So,

If I am reading this right, if you live in Canada and end up killing an intruder who tried to kill you, you must not ever call the police and dispose of the body?

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

In New York, I can't shoot someone on my porch. In this case, once the criminal got to the deck, the homeowner had no justification to kill the fleeing suspect. This was a revenge killing and the jury got it right. You may use deadly force inside your home if you feel your life is in danger, or if there's a burglar in your house. However, if you chase the criminal and shoot him outside your residence, you are breaking the law, at least in New York state.

NYS Penal Law, Article 35, Section 15, paragraph 2:
A person may not use deadly physical force upon another person under circumstances specified in subdivision one unless:
(a) The actor reasonably believes that such other person is using or about to use deadly physical force. Even in such case, however, the actor may not use deadly physical force if he or she knows that with complete personal safety, to oneself and others he or she may avoid the necessity of so doing by retreating; except that the actor is under no duty to retreat if he or she is in his or her dwelling and not the initial aggressor;

A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, …may use deadly physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson (as defined in Article 150), or

A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other person when he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such burglary (as defined in article 140).

What pisses me off, is when the dead man's family stated that he "was a really good guy and "a funny, caring man." What "caring man" breaks into another person's house, grabs a knife, then stabs the homeowner in the head? Sounds like a scum bag to me who picked the wrong house.

edit on 6/7/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:21 PM
link   
He is Canadian.

He is being prosecuted, for not offering the perpetrator an apology before he died.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   

You are allowed to defend yourself. Chasing down the attacker and killing him when you are no longer in danger is not self defense. Stabbing the guy 13 times sound more like murder. In this case I think the courts got it right.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:10 PM
link   
The people who put that guy in jail for defending himself....should be put in jail.

I do not know the whole story, but I think if someone breaks in and attacks you, no matter what, you should have the right to defend yourself.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The problem there was that, in the eyes of the law, he was no longer defending himself and was instead the attacker.

IMO if you break into someones home with intent to harm. Your life is forfeit. Self defense should be a inalienable right.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Canada is really stupid this way, we need a castle law up here. Someone breaks in, you do them on the spot, save the taxpayers some money.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well its canada, there wierdos. Them and those Australians, wasnt there a thread around here were they had a whole swat team invade and take down some News channel or something In Australia, because they did not like what they were showing on it.

Ya seems silly. So basically the guy woke up with a guy stabbing him in the head. A struggle ensued all over the house and presumably over the knife, were they have evidence that they were going at it as the guy was running away, and ended up on the porch were he got the knife and ended stabbing the guy that tried to kill him to death.

If thats what went down like the link says.

I would say its a clear cut self defense, and the guy is lucky the he did not get stabbed in the neck or that would have been it, you dont stab somebody in the head, its all bone even if you get the eye, its not fatal, but if he got stabbed in the neck even in a lazy swipe of the knife, thats it, you will likely just bleed out.

Even if the guy just stabbed him and then ran away. I mean! WTF, do you really expect people to just stay there when a guy stabs them in the head and takes off. Only in Canada I suppose.

Anybody that thinks there going to subdue some guy with a knife after being stabbed is plain stupid. But then again, here is what the link said on it.

Court was told a considerable amount of Pratt's blood was found in his bedroom following the attack, partially corroborating his version of events in that he was acting in self-defence.

"Logic suggests that when there is an intruder in the house that it would make good sense to ascertain the identity of the intruder and ensure that he be expelled from the house," Cummings said in his decision.

Yup! Totally logical, that if a guy stabs you in the dead of night, in the head, that you take the time to ascertain the identity of the intruder, and ensure that he be expelled from the house.

Quite obviously this guy never saw what a knife fight looks like. But it does not look like a scene from Monty Python like he muses. Generally its two guys wrestling and rolling around, and the guy who gets a hold of the knife first and the position to use it, he wins. In fact a knife fight is more of a wrestling match then it is fighting with knifes.

Unless you just stab a guy and run away. In which case, seems its legal in Canada to do that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join