It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Called out for acting like a white man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
It’s been almost four hours since this incident occurred and it’s still bugging me. I had dropped off a friend at a supermarket. She was going to make a quick purchase and then we would grab some breakfast. Anticipating she wouldn’t take long, I was slowly circling the almost empty parking lot and occasionally stopping with my foot on the brake pad at the end of a parking row near the store entrance, keeping an eye out for other cars in case I needed to move. It was around 6 a.m. and still dark outside as I was momentarily stopped when I heard someone address me through my open driver’s-side window. She was on a bicycle; I hadn’t noticed her pulling up from behind. She asked what I was doing and at first I thought she was a security guard. I told her I was waiting for someone and she says something about me acting “white,” apparently for blocking her, although there was plenty of room for her to go around. Mind you, I would have moved and circled around again if I’d seen her, but she had no light on her bike. Also, I had arisen only 20 minutes earlier and hadn’t had my coffee yet, so I was not at my sharpest. Her tone was quite hateful and accusatory, which made me angry in return, so I agreed I was indulging in white privilege, or something to that effect. She pulled around me and rode away without going into the store (which makes me wonder why she was there), loudly chanting something I couldn’t make out except for “white.” This all happened in less than a minute and I was a bit stunned that someone could get so angry about something so trifling and hurl racial insults at me. What was truly bizarre is she appeared to be a middle-aged white woman. Has America really changed so much in my 62 years? I was already concerned about the rapid changes our society has seen in the last decade; this little incident really brought home how divided we are, how much hatred exists. Although it happened in Austin — easily the most left-wing city in an increasingly blue state — I can’t imagine it happening even a year ago.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

Racists gunna racist. But, in her defense, you were breathing her air.
edit on 7-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Do black face if they dont want you to be white then. Bicyclists are often morons.

youtu.be...

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
She could be just mental and so the whole thing meaningless. No need to worry over one such incident I think and again if she was White again it became meaningless.
I was wondering if the parking was almost empty why not stop in a parking spot instead of the trouble of circling?

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I'd work on that "acting white" thing, if I were you.

Welcome to Progressivism.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I would've told her to have a nice day cracka'

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It's Texas... honk the horn, give them the finger salute!
Especially in Austin : P

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
maybe she meant you had been circling a parking lot alone, in the morning, slowly circling.

Without being harassed and arrested by the police.

Like a white dude

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well, you were stopped in the middle of the parking lot/drive-up area/lane waiting instead of parking and waiting in a parking space.

It wasnt really a slur or anything.

She was simply stating that your experiences growing up and living as a Caucasian male give you the per-disposition to act in a way that many may view as entitled (whether it is your intention or not).

You felt as if you could stop and wait in the drive up lane, or in a driving part of the lot instead of a space because you felt..

A: It wouldnt bother anyone, and you were checking to make sure you werent in peoples way
and

B: Because why not? Its more convenient for you...

Us white males (and yes.. I said US) have grown up being told we can do anything we put our mind to as long as we work for it. We have been taught to take chances, take risks... "shoot your shot".... and most importantly "dont ask for permission...ask for forgiveness"

Now by that I dont mean you were TOLD that, I dont me thats how YOUR parents personally raised you.. Im talking at a Macro.. Meta level here. We have enjoyed these freedoms and these conditions and we arent really even aware of it.

So.. were you acting like a white male by "claiming" and "hogging" the road/lot/etc.

Yeah, you were...

But is it even a really big deal.. big enough for her to say something to you about it, and point it out and make it a "thing?"

No.. theres bigger fish to Fry, lady needs a chill pill

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

There is a large bloc that, since the 60's, has become decidedly delusional. The best you can do is blast them with the facts and roll up the window.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I was a bit stunned that someone could get so angry about something so trifling

Yet this brief and trifle encounter was enough to bring it to these forums and use it as a point to demonstrate some vastly larger and stereotypical concept of Americas dysfunction...
edit on 30America/ChicagoFri, 07 Jun 2019 10:56:49 -0500Fri, 07 Jun 2019 10:56:49 -050019062019-06-07T10:56:49-05:001000000056 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I was walking into a bar few months ago and was stop by a girl who asked if I was the guy who bought her a drink at a previous bar. I respectfully said no I don't usually buy people I don't know drinks.

She seemed upset and said "all white people look the same anyways" to all her friends who then started laughing. I guess she thought I rejected her but I was confused why my race had anything to do with anything.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I use to be white but now I identify as a Blackman, yuse crackas are always bitching about something.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

Well, you were stopped in the middle of the parking lot/drive-up area/lane waiting instead of parking and waiting in a parking space.

She was simply stating that your experiences growing up and living as a Caucasian male give you the per-disposition to act in a way that many may view as entitled (whether it is your intention or not).

You felt as if you could stop and wait in the drive up lane, or in a driving part of the lot instead of a space because you felt..

A: It wouldnt bother anyone, and you were checking to make sure you werent in peoples way
and

B: Because why not? Its more convenient for you...

Us white males (and yes.. I said US) have grown up being told we can do anything we put our mind to as long as we work for it. We have been taught to take chances, take risks... "shoot your shot".... and most importantly "dont ask for permission...ask for forgiveness"

Now by that I dont mean you were TOLD that, I dont me thats how YOUR parents personally raised you.. Im talking at a Macro.. Meta level here. We have enjoyed these freedoms and these conditions and we arent really even aware of it.

So.. were you acting like a white male by "claiming" and "hogging" the road/lot/etc.

Yeah, you were...

But is it even a really big deal.. big enough for her to say something to you about it, and point it out and make it a "thing?"

No.. theres bigger fish to Fry, lady needs a chill pill
Wow. White on white racism. Way to innovate. Do you really think that if someone said he was acting like a black man, to a black man, for doing that same thing, that a black man Would not take that as some kind of slur? Or if he had said that that lady was riding the bicycle like a black lady, she wouldn’t take it as a slur? She wouldn’t think that guy was racist?
edit on 7-6-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Your giving some goof ball credit for way too much thought process.
edit on 6/7/2019 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I use to be white but now I identify as a Blackman, yuse crackas are always bitching about something.
I would politely ask you to prove your claim by measuring your vertical jump height.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Just saying 'white' makes it a racist statement.

When I go to the grocery store, I park in a space and walk into the store. I notice the people that are parking in front of the store (in the area clearly marked "FIRE LANE") waiting on someone to come out. They are predominately black or brown in an area where the racial diversity is mixed, but mostly white. Who is the group acting like they are entitled?

edit on b000000302019-06-07T11:20:43-05:0011America/ChicagoFri, 07 Jun 2019 11:20:43 -05001100000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: spacedoubt
maybe she meant you had been circling a parking lot alone, in the morning, slowly circling.

Without being harassed and arrested by the police.

Like a white dude

Or maybe because he was waiting on someone and not getting ready to rob the place...

BTW I think the "hey I'll wait" thing at grocery stores is quite common event.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I used to be Dutch, but I took pills for it, now I'm Swedish-ish

the sad part is when folks ask if I am white I have to say yes, it's my sir-name

I even live in the whitehouse, how many of you can say that, My hispanic ex-wife kept my last name, so she could be white too (no joke)

the worst part, I'm color blind, really, everything is in black and white. that's my priviledge.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Relax sir.

It sounds like you have some pent up frustrations.

I think you are missing the point of pretty much everything I said.

My reply was taking the angle of justifying and empathizing with the white lady that made the remark to him. If my goal was to be defensive and upset I would have said something similiar to you or the OP, but that was already covered in the OP man.

Im speaking personally here... The way I go through life, any time anyone says or does something that strikes me as unpleasant, odd, out of sort, etc. What I do.. Is I put myself in their shoes and ry to understand where they are coming from, and determine their logic.

Whether I agree with the person or not.

I think about

1. What may be this persons life experiences that made them think/act in this manner?
2. What is there current life situation?
3. What are their current surroundings?
4. Is there any way something Im saying/doing can be misinterpreted as something other than my intention?
5. If I was that person, what would I want to hear that could make me think about empathizing with me in my situation?

Believe it or not... I do this all day every day with people Im around in person. If you go a few day purposefully making yourself see things through others point of view.. it changes things.

Im happier when the people around me are happy. That means more to me than anything else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join