It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed's Proposed CHARC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Lockheed has proposed a "helicopter looking" boat to the Navy. The Navy has not made any comitments, and so Lockheed is paying for it out of there own (big) pocket, however...the Navy is interested in it, so theres a good chance that it will get made. Lockheed will have the first prototype built next year (2006).

Its called the "CHARC" (pronounced: shark), which stands for Covert High-speed Attack and Reconnaissance Craft. It could become a great navy seals craft or a manned or unmanned recon, and protect the ships in harbor, its armed to the teeth and could be configed to hold 8 people, and can go in shallow water by changing its shape, making it able to go in water onlt 1.5 meaters deep. It can raise and lower itself, making it good in even high seas, and it quick...70 mph, and it's stealth.

small mock-up

Military.com - Info about Lockheeds killer fish

Good info on its Capabilities

Personally, I like it. They wouldn't have to do much (if any) changing on the future LCS type ships and others to have this craft replace the old inflatable boat that have being used for along time. I think this is a great boat, it fits perfectly into the modern world, has stealth, and helfire missiles, beyond sight weapons, great for secret mission, can get close to shores, has guns, can be manned or unmanned. Also will stop any future USS Cole type of attack.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
dude that things sweet, i want one! i want one!

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
You have to wonder if they will offer a civilian variant ala the Hummer. Would be a big seller no doubt at whatever price.

Cool find

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
dude that things sweet, i want one! i want one!

Hopefully thats what the Navy is saying...So we can at least have some of those beauties to look at.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
ahhh good old Lockheed, never fails to amaze!!!

top topics

join