It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans musician, Dr. John, RIP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Grammy-winning American singer Dr John has died at the age of 77 after suffering a heart attack.

The New Orleans-born musician died on Thursday, according to a message posted on his official Twitter account.

The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame singer combined the genres of blues, pop, jazz, boogie woogie and rock and roll.

A statement said: "Towards the break of day June 6, iconic music legend Malcolm John Rebennack, Jr, known as Dr John, passed away of a heart attack.

bbc.com - Grammy-winning musician Dr John dies at 77.

Ah, the Big Easy! Professor Longhair and Dr. John...

Yet another musician who crossed boundaries like you cross the street. Blues, New Orleans Jazz, rag time, even throws in psychedelic from dawn of that style of music! This man was an original.

The famous actor, Hugh Laurie, did a show on PBS where he played the entire live album of Dr. John. He would later go on to do a solo album with the following song included...

Hugh Laurie and Dr. John, After You're Gone

RIP, Dr. John

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

RIP Dr. John.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

My favorite music documentary the last waltz is about The Bands last concert

Dr John sings a song on it called such a night

He just oozed coolness

I’ll miss him

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

He played with a bunch of greats like Clapton and others because his friend was a recording producer. He sat in with everyone.

A hard life. But many musicians have done the same. And there is still the music and the influence!

A pioneer in the true sense of the word!

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
As someone who loves blues piano, I'm telling you it doesn't get better than Dr John. I will miss him dearly.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Another great for that great Concert in the Sky!!!

RIP, Dr. John.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
A NO legend. Love Dr. John along with Pete Fountain.

posted on Jun, 7 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I am glad that there is a group here that appreciate a great musician.

The music world that I grew up with keeps getting smaller. That makes me sad.

Today’s music is so about anything but the music. Leonard Cohen, Leon Redbone, and now Dr. John... this is kind of frightening!

Unfortunately, music has become more of a business than it was before. And these kinds of musicians are becoming more rare. The cross-fertilization that this music inspired is disappearing. And that makes me sad at each of these announcements.

We will survive (in the sense of “new” music) but it seems that the Age of Legends is hitting a low.

join