It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senators hope Trump is bluffing on Mexico tariffs so they don’t have to block them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Apprently GOP senators hope Trump is bluffing on Mexico tariffs so they don’t have to block them.

GOP senators have broadly signaled they oppose the 5% duties on all Mexican imports, which would take effect on Monday. If Trump follows through on the tariffs — a move that could harm the U.S. economy and hurt border state senators politically — Republicans may have to vote for a second time this year to oppose a flex of executive power by the president.

After a lunch Tuesday during which GOP senators spoke to White House officials about the tariff strategy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, "There is not much support in my conference for tariffs, that's for sure." But the Kentucky Republican hopes Trump will stand down before his caucus has to decide whether to rebuke the president.

link

Assuming all the thoughts of corruption about why the Congress fails to act on the issue of imigration are true; that both sides of the aisle get donations from special interest groups and industry that want more illegal immigration not less for various reasons; could this be the issue that causes a big enough rift between GOP senators and Trump that impeachment becomes a real possibility rather than a Democratic wet dream?

I will say Trump is making enough of the right people upset about this that I am supporting his actions.
edit on 6-6-2019 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Be interesting to see if the legislative branch thinks they are in charge of foreign trade policy now...

Since they seem to think they are the final arbiters of everything else that is the job of the executive branch.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

McConnell is as spineless as a sea slug as usual.

I don't like Trump. But this tariff move is something he should of done from the beginning.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Can they block it with a vote?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Does anybody seriously think the Republican Congress will actually block him? All they've done is blow smoke up everyone's asses but never actually stood against the president, why should be think this time would be any different?

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm hearing on Fox news that a deal has just been reached to avoid the tariffs kicking in on June 10th.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I don't believe Congress has the power to block the tariffs (outside of filing frivolous lawsuits).
edit on 6-6-2019 by danbuter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Be interesting to see if the legislative branch thinks they are in charge of foreign trade policy now...

Since they seem to think they are the final arbiters of everything else that is the job of the executive branch.

That would be interesting. However that is not the current situation, you're confused.

The legislative branch is not in charge of all foreign policy but they are in charge of tariffs (or excises).

The framers of the United States Constitution gave the federal government authority to tax, stating that Congress has the power to "... lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States."

The only reason the President can even interfere with the legislation of tariffs is because he issued an executive order, calling for a national emergency, which give him interim emergency powers to overstep his mandate. In other words, he's pushing the limits of executive power.

This bipartisan action in the Senate is a Checks and Balances reaction by the legislators to reign in the executive branch.

edit on 6-6-2019 by Duderino because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I would say the only reason the President issued an EO calling a National Emergency is becuase the legislative branch failed in its duties. The President used the tools at his disposal.
a reply to: Duderino

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I'm aware of how it works sweety.

However, the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 gives him the power to do so.

Which is well within his authority and there isn't a damn thing Congress can do about it.

He could also if he wanted to use the Trade Expansion Act of 1962.

Now, Congress may to try to kick their heels up about going that route, but it seems to show an indication that it is working, America is watching and the Senate would have to vote a veto-proof majority to block it.

If blocked he still has a few other ways to do it.

edit on 6-6-2019 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SuperDave90
I would say the only reason the President issued an EO calling a National Emergency is becuase the legislative branch failed in its duties. The President used the tools at his disposal.

Its funny, people don't seem to realize that "checks and balances" go both ways. Its not just a concept that is in place to check and balance the Executive Branch. The Executive Branch is supposed to check and balance the Legislative and Judicial branches as well. When the Legislature fails to act; the Executive can try to act in their place. If the Judiciary outputs bad decisions; the Executive can try to ignore them.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   

They also completely forget the phrase "co-equal branches of government" when things don't go their way politically.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I have a feeling that McConnell would not be making the threat if he didn't have the legs to stand on.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I'm aware of how it works sweety.

However, the International Emergency Economic Powers Act of 1977 gives him the power to do so.

Which is well within his authority and there isn't a damn thing Congress can do about it.

He could also if he wanted to use the Trade Expansion Act of 1962.

Now, Congress may to try to kick their heels up about going that route, but it seems to show an indication that it is working, America is watching and the Senate would have to vote a veto-proof majority to block it.

If blocked he still has a few other ways to do it.

Thank you for supporting exactly what I said. If you really familiarize yourself with those two acts you listed, you will find that they authorize the president only to act if he declares a national emergency.

What I said in my earlier post was that the only reason he can interfere with the Congress' legal duties is if he declared a national emergency, which he did. Using or abusing that tactic is another topic.

I know this is an echo chamber, but you're starting to echo my posts. I feel so warm and honored.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I think he could/would make the threat even if he didn't have the legs to stand on ... or the desire to stand on the legs he does have. Happens all the time.

its entirely possible he is blustering to placate his (and other GOP) corporate donors who rely on the cheap illegal labor; but doesn't plan on or can't act on his bluster.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Apprently GOP senators hope Trump is bluffing on Mexico tariffs so they don’t have to block them.

GOP senators have broadly signaled they oppose the 5% duties on all Mexican imports, which would take effect on Monday. If Trump follows through on the tariffs — a move that could harm the U.S. economy and hurt border state senators politically — Republicans may have to vote for a second time this year to oppose a flex of executive power by the president.

After a lunch Tuesday during which GOP senators spoke to White House officials about the tariff strategy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, "There is not much support in my conference for tariffs, that's for sure." But the Kentucky Republican hopes Trump will stand down before his caucus has to decide whether to rebuke the president.

link

Assuming all the thoughts of corruption about why the Congress fails to act on the issue of imigration are true; that both sides of the aisle get donations from special interest groups and industry that want more illegal immigration not less for various reasons; could this be the issue that causes a big enough rift between GOP senators and Trump that impeachment becomes a real possibility rather than a Democratic wet dream?

I will say Trump is making enough of the right people upset about this that I am supporting his actions.

Tom Donahue heads the Chamber of Commerce and is the money behind the swamp. Donahue is the most powerful lobbyist in Washington. McConnell does his bidding. Business obviously don't want tariffs and support illegal immigration for cheaper labor.

Go read about Tom Donahue in the WSJ today. They did an article on him and his lavish living flying private (even for personal trips). He also has two full time body guards. Ask yourself, why is this guy so important he needs to body guards?

Chamber CEO's Rare Perk: Private Jet Service Even for Vacations

One Saturday morning last month, U.S. Chamber of Commerce President and Chief Executive Thomas Donohue arrived in Greece with his girlfriend and another couple after an overnight flight on a Gulfstream jet provided by the chief advocacy group for American corporations. After a week sailing in the Greek islands, Mr. Donohue continued on the jet to Tokyo and Beijing for three days of business meetings before returning on it to Washington. The total cost? At least $600,000, according to estimates by four private-jet-service companies.

The conservative treehouse blog has written extensively about his connection and influence over the conservative swamp...

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I have a feeling that McConnell would not be making the threat if he didn't have the legs to stand on.

With your track record on all things political, I'm pretty certain nothing is going to happen then.

Unless you think that 19 Republicans in the Senate are going to go on record saying that there is no emergency on our southern border and just politically suicide their careers..

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   
You can't see McConnell using that as leverage over Trump? Make no mistake, a large contingent of the swamp Republicans loathe Trump. They are just playing along because they have to right now.

I can see conversations where the Chamber has whispered in McConnell's ear to stop these tariffs and McConnell's only play is find Republicans who could be flipped to support Democrats for impeachment.

Silly normally can't form a coherent thought, but maybe she is on to something this time...

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
You can't see McConnell using that as leverage over Trump? Make no mistake, a large contingent of the swamp Republicans loathe Trump. They are just playing along because they have to right now.

I can see conversations where the Chamber has whispered in McConnell's ear to stop these tariffs and McConnell's only play is find Republicans who could be flipped to support Democrats for impeachment.

Silly normally can't form a coherent thought, but maybe she is on to something this time...

19 Republican Senators are going to go on record stating that there is no national emergency on the southern border.

Hell, anything is possible.

I just don't see it happening.

Guess we'll see... he still has a few other options to play with if they block him on that.

Thing is, if it is looking like it has a possibility of at least helping, I just don't see them doing that.

posted on Jun, 6 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

And thank you for proving my point as well... for this to be blocked, it would require that 19 Republicans in the Senate go on record stating that there is no national security issue on our southern border.

Even Democrats are admitting this now.

So you can dream about this getting blocked because Orange Man Bad and it will further hinder his agenda of making American citizens safer and more economically secure all you want.

The fact is, just the threat of it has already produced results.

Mexico is responding and there are no tariffs levied on it yet.

Give it another few weeks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join